ImBob

BL 15 application questions

So my buddy has the newest version of the 12" Type R that he wants to upgrade. Here's the details, and hopefully I can give enough info. He has an ONX1.1500. He also has EQ'ing at 30, 45, 60, and I think 80hz. We'll make a ported box, but it'll need to be on the smaller side, maybe 3-3.5ft^3 net. His Type R is tuned to 33hz at ~1.5ft^3 net, I know that's not the only way to judge things, but he may want to go a bit lower on tuning frequency, maybe 28-30hz (this is in a 2000 Explorer btw, and any port frequency opinions for this sub are definitely appreciated).

This dude needs a tough sub, he can be hard on stuff ;) He wants loud, and if he goes on a trip, he may play the sub loud for a long period of time. We'll set the gains with a DMM the best we can (may have some questions about that at some point). Does a 15" BL sound like a good upgrade?

Looks like there is no "technical" page on FI's site now to fully explain the options. I'm a bit confused by the options. Looks like he needs the "daily" option. "Hyperpole" sounds good. "Cooling" sounds good, but it says it's a 0 dollar option, really? "Flatwind" is prone to "peaking"? Not sure what that means unless it has something to do with a peaky response? "Internal Lead" is more of an SPL option?

Thanks guys!

ok.. great, your looking at the right area of subs. ill speak from experience,

the BL is a great sub, even more so for someone who is stepping up to a real sub for the first time, it handles abuse like a champ, and will play hard and long,and it will get low enough for the average user, most people have no clue what lows really are any how.

but when you speak of lows, the Q would be better for the lows, but not as oblivious to abuse as the BL, IMO, the Q is more so for the the experienced user, someone that can notice when and where a subs weaknesses are and play them in their strongest areas, people offten dont understand that all song are not the same, the notes are not the same, the recording quality is not the same,

so very offten i see people playing a song and they tell me " this one bangs so hard in my car" but it sounds like shit to me, the recording is 3DB higher then the stereo is tuned for, and its basically clipping on a CD, but its louder so they think its better.

i dont know your friend, so you would have to choose what user he is out of those two options.

as far as the options

The Bl is an awesome sub! Are you talking about the 15? Any options?

Putting the R in a low ported box is not it's forte. Most likely that is your "lows" problem. I am pretty sure that if he is "hard on stuff" he'll be more than happy with a BL. Could also run a Zcon though.

i dont know your friend, so you would have to choose what user he is out of those two options.

From what I'm reading, I think he fits in the BL category. I may be more of a Q category type, but he'll have his BL (if he gets that) before I get my next sub. Then it'll be my turn to be indecisive about what I want lol

The Bl is an awesome sub! Are you talking about the 15? Any options?

We're thinking 15" just for added cone area. He thought fully optioned would be the way to go, but apparently some of the options are not best for a daily used sub.

Putting the R in a low ported box is not it's forte. Most likely that is your "lows" problem. I am pretty sure that if he is "hard on stuff" he'll be more than happy with a BL. Could also run a Zcon though.

He likes the Type R, just feels he needs something better for pushing the sub hard. I think he could use a bit more low end, but that's just my perception. He hasn't complained about low end so I guess it's not a big point of emphasis for picking a new sub, it'd just be nice to dig low.

Isn't the Zcon top of the line? I know price wise the Icon was similar to the BL I think, but they may be totally different subs for all I know. He may be willing to spend a bit more though, so we can check out SSA options.