RooTxBeeR

Box size recommendation

I am looking into getting 2 Fi SSD 12's and powering them with a DD audio M2b on anywhere from 200A or higher worth of amperage from the alt(s). What would be the recommended box size if I am wanted to be able to play to the high 20's with authority, want to be able to pick up songs like Sugga Cooker, Put On. Also, what is the benefit of Flatwind Coils?

That's a strange way off addressing those goals with that amount of budget. Some more of the picture would help.

That's a strange way off addressing those goals with that amount of budget. Some more of the picture would help.

What budget? I never said a budget. Are you saying my alt power will be to little? what else would you like to know? The car is a 91 civic hatchback Dx. Will have big 3 and runs to the back all in 1/0.

Edited by RooTxBeeR

I totaled the investment you'd have in the pieces you've stated = budget. Just to be safe I complied the list with used values so if you already owned it you could switch. And I don't get it. Even worse if it's all new....

I don't understand a damn thing your saying. I just want to know the recommended box size for 2 Fi SSD 12's running on a DD Audio M2b...

Then read Fi's website. You don't change your box for your amp. Follow the recommendations.

What? You adjust the box size based on the power they are receiving. They are rated for 1000 watts, and the M2b will put out around 2400 watts at alt charging levels. What size of a box would you suggest for that power to those subs,

I'd suggest you set your gains appropriately for your subs. Anything else on your part will end in a bunch more wasted money.

Careful Sean, don't use too much logic in your attempts to help, he may run off to another forum and complain about us because we did not hand him what he wanted to hear.

But yes, set the gains properly, either by experienced ear or handheld O-scope. Flat wound coils can improve thermal limits (heat) of the sub woofer.

5 cubes @ 28 hz. Amps have nothing to do with box sizes.

I beleive you are wrong to make that statement.

This forum's entertainment factor is high

Ok, no shit on setting the gains right. I still have yet to receive a proper answer. Running those subs, on around 2200-2400 watts, what is the suggested box size. I have a DD-1 so setting the gains is no problem.

Also I might add, M5, that is just sad that you would post such idiotic and troll-tastic shit to someone who is just looking for a simple answer. I am not a idiot, nor have I even put myself out there like/as one. It is no wonder forums like these are so tiny, and people don't like coming here.

Edited by RooTxBeeR

You are not an idiot but you did buy the DD-1 to set your gains. You also feel the need to give more power than recommended to your SSD's and for what? :(

All ///M5 does is help people. You just took what he was saying the wrong way or you did not understand.

Ok, no shit on setting the gains right. I still have yet to receive a proper answer. Running those subs, on around 2200-2400 watts, what is the suggested box size. I have a DD-1 so setting the gains is no problem.

Also I might add, M5, that is just sad that you would post such idiotic and troll-tastic shit to someone who is just looking for a simple answer. I am not a idiot, nor have I even put myself out there like/as one. It is no wonder forums like these are so tiny, and people don't like coming here.

Who would have ever guessed this guy was a Newbie, can we talk about Salmon again?

I would do 4.5cu tuned at 30hz. Quit worrying about the amp size when decided on how big to make the box. You said you want to play high 20's with authority. Tune low and make the box on the larger side of the recommended specs if you have the room. Be careful with a DD-1. Easy to mess your subs up if the amp puts more power than the subs can handle.

Small site eh? Even is this were true, there is more inteligence in 1/4 of this forum then the whole of SMD.

If you were in my shop, you would have reached the point of me telling you I'd ratehr you just leave, having you here isn't worth my headache.

Side note: I apologize if you feel that the posts of some of our members read harsh to you, but they are taking the time to help, many with tremendous experience and knowledge from more then just building a few installs. Keep in mind, it is just the internet and there is no need to get bent and run back to SMD for solace. Tone and intonation is lost on forums, but the purpose here is clear, to find the best solution or option.

I asked for box size recommendations and answered with telling me how my goals are off with that budget, even though I never stated a budget. SSD's are rated for 1k, M2b does 1400 at 12v, and 2400 at 14.4. I don't see how that is so bad, they will probably only ever see 100watts over at most, not going to make a difference. Along with you telling me that I didn't take his help correctly, or I misunderstood it, then you must have not read his replies, because they where not relevant to what I asked.

I asked for box size recommendations and answered with telling me how my goals are off with that budget, even though I never stated a budget. SSD's are rated for 1k, M2b does 1400 at 12v, and 2400 at 14.4. I don't see how that is so bad, they will probably only ever see 100watts over at most, not going to make a difference. Along with you telling me that I didn't take his help correctly, or I misunderstood it, then you must have not read his replies, because they where not relevant to what I asked.

He answered your question, follow the manufacturer's recommendations. Honestly and not trying to be a dick, if you did a little more research yourself you never would of had to have asked the question. Manufacturers recommendations are always solid but with more experience you can adjust to better suit your goals.

He will have you chasing your tail for as long as you will let him. Ignore him. Fortunately I am not the one that has to rely on this forum to deepen my pocket on his arrogance would have been gone.

I know what the recommendations are, 1.8-2.5, where in that is what I am asking for on suggestions based on my power to the subs. What other research would you suggest on my part to figureing that out then?

M5 a troll? This forum tiny? People don't like coming here? adhd.gif

No one said you were an idiot, but if you want to run back to a forum to bash this site instead of making an effort to work with the people who are offering you assistance, then it shows why you're on that forum and not here. Not trying to start anything, but on this forum, we try to take an intelligent approach to problems or questions, and usually that entails starting out with the most information possible before just tossing out answers. As for how your setting your gains, good luck, I continue to see topics showing up across the net with blown sub woofers from installs using that tool. If you want easy answers with minimal information provided while not really making the most of what could be, you were in the right place before. If you want to do it with a little more planning or preparation though logical discussion, then this is the correct forum.

a tool doesnt have a brain, it does what it does and that is it. Jackasses who dont use it correctly will blow shit.

Use whatever size within that range of enclosure size. The manufacturer didn't state "use this size for x amount of power".

Design your enclosure based on manufacturer specs and you should be good. Generally larger enclosures are more efficient at tuning and it maybe easier to achieve a reasonable port length. Smaller enclosures are, well, smaller. Use what fits the space you have available and are within the range of "large" and "small" based on manufacturer spec.

Enclosure modeling programs such as WinISD are useful.