Sign in to follow this  
Stihlman9

2 Q's in a box (help)

Hey guys! I am currently planning what i think (IMHO) what will be a pretty cool build but i have a few questions.

Background: i currently have 1 fi Q12 loaded 2011 model running on a hifonics brutus 1700watt amp in a box that is too small so here is what im planning to do...

The Plan: i would like to custom build a box to hold two fi q 12s. right now, its about 4 cuft ported and tuned to 32hz. i can provide tech specs if y'all need but i dont think its necessary for this post.

The Question: I know fi came out with new models for 2012, and i know that running 2 different subs in the same box is a bad idea, so... will i have a problem running my 2011 q in a box with a 2012 q? Or do i need to sell my 2011 and buy two new 2012s? Both subs will, of course, be receiving identical signal from identical amps.

THANK YOU to all who reply as your advice is greatly appreciated!

Edited by Stihlman9

Email FI directly to answer the differences that may or may not be with your sub versus new. Unless Shawn sees this thread. About the amps just make sure you can either strap 2 of the same amps or just buy a single amp to power both. 4cu will be ok for both 12's if that is after all displacement. My experience with the Q is that they like a enclosure on the larger side.

Ok, I'll be sure to send them an email. Thanks for your advice :)

Btw, I will definatly be making the box on the large side - the one I have now is too small so I won't make that mistake again haha!

Edited by Stihlman9

@streetlegal actually I thought of that, however, I can only port on one side and I would like to have a plexiglas window in front that shows both subs (don't worry guys - it will be plenty thick haha) so that kinda cuts that option out. Thanks anyway though!

What motor does your Q have?

What coil configuration is your Q? Smashedz28 is looking for an older Q, so that might work out for both of you.

About the motor, I'm not quite sure how to answer that - sorry still learning about all this car audio terminology - not a total newb but definatly still learning :)

Its a 2011 model with all options - cooling, internal leads, spider, etc. (not high qts) it has dual 2 ohm voice coils and I have it wired in parallel for 1 ohm load.

@ricksi30 wow thanks! But I'm not quite ready to sell yet - I'm a student and on a student budget so... Well you know how that goes :)

I do a lot of planning before I build anything so right now I'm just trying to figure out how my project will work when it all comes together.

Btw, BIG THANKS to everyone who has replied! I know I'm new to this forum and I didn't expect this much help but this is great! :)

Edited by Stihlman9

About the motor, I'm not quite sure how to answer that - sorry still learning about all this car audio terminology - not a total newb but definatly still learning :)

Its a 2011 model with all options - cooling, internal leads, spider, etc. (not high qts) it has dual 2 ohm voice coils and I have it wired in parallel for 1 ohm load.

Post a picture. Some motors do not play well with one another.

@"post a pic"

Ok I'll see if I can do that tomorrow - don't really want to go outside and pull it out the box now haha

Im surely missing something here... i have the pictures you wanted and they are saved on my desktop (im using a mac) but i cannot figure out how to get them onto the forum! I've tried dragging, copying and pasting, everything i can think of but my browser just keeps opening the image in another window, not actually putting it on the forum editor. How do you get images on here?

photobucket.com

Make an account, host the images there, then post a link here.

Plexi is fun to play with once you get the enclosure and subs all figured out.

We did this for a trunk car not to long ago...

IMAG0090-1.jpg

Edited by pro-rabbit

Wow, that looks nicceee.... :)

Ok, i guess i can do that (the photobucket thing). Is photobucket what you used to get that image on here?

Easiest way to do it is to create a free account at photobucket.com, upload the pictures there, then copy the "IMG Code" link and post it in the thread. I have a pair of the old series Q's, I think the change happened in 2010, not 2011. If yours has the double slugs, it's the older model like mine. If it's the single slug motor then you've already got the new model.

Here's what the motor looks like on my Q's.

0814002149.jpg

Here's my enclosure with a plexi window too, just for reference.

0824001546a.jpg

Got the plexi from Delviesplastics.com, 3/4" thick. Works out really well for working it into the MDF since it's the same thickness.

Hope that helps.

Wow, that looks nicceee.... smile.png

Ok, i guess i can do that (the photobucket thing). Is photobucket what you used to get that image on here?

Yes, that image is hosted by photobucket.

And thanks. It is a pretty basic setup with the plexi flushed in. Normally I like to do a 1/4" baffle on the back to had a bit of "niceness" to the install, but with our clients we have to build to fit with in budgets so we some times have to make compromises.

Just make sure when you do the enclosure you paint or wrap the inside of the enclosure. It will look much better.

Edited by pro-rabbit

@alton Ok cool, i got it now! Well, you pretty much just answered the question (thank you smile.png) i started this topic over - mine has the single so it must be the newer model. Btw, your box is sick! the red color is awesome! what is that thing tuned to?

Edited by Stihlman9

Ok cool, i got it now! Well, you pretty much just answered the question (thank you smile.png) i started this topic over - mine has the single so it must be the newer model. Btw, your box is sick! the red color is awesome! what is that thing tuned to?

Thanx. It's tuned to 32hz and sounds absolutely amazing. Best subs I've owned so far, tho I've yet to get to use my XCON so that may or may not change soon. We'll just have to see.

@alton Yeah i was planning to tune to 32hz as well - glad it sounds good! Thats alot of port area, i was planning on one 6inch dia. flared aeroport and now im thinking that might not be large enough to prevent port noise... what do you think?

Actually I wish I could have made the port larger. Only reason I didn't was because of space. The enclosure is 4.2cuft NET tuned to 32hz and is 17" square by 42" long. Making it any larger was really just out of the question. I'm sure that if it were me I wouldn't be using a single 6" aero, it's just not enough port area alone. A pair of them would probably suffice though ideally it should be more.

Actually I wish I could have made the port larger. Only reason I didn't was because of space. The enclosure is 4.2cuft NET tuned to 32hz and is 17" square by 42" long. Making it any larger was really just out of the question. I'm sure that if it were me I wouldn't be using a single 6" aero, it's just not enough port area alone. A pair of them would probably suffice though ideally it should be more.

Port area is not based on enclosure size, but by the drivers used as well as the goals in mind. A pair would be to much and would be far to long for most to every consider. For a couple of FI's I have done single 6" ports in the past and they work just fine, sound great and get plenty loud for daily and/or SPL. The enclosure I had pictured actually ended up with a pair of OA 12s and was doing very very well for a trunk car.

Also, you have to consider the room available and how everything works together in the application.

I like your enclosure though, that read looks real nice.

Oh, ok - thats good to know. Yeah, i have plenty of trunk space (gmc yukon) however i want to take up the least amount possible cause i still have to be able to carry stuff. On the side of my box that i can port, i can fit up to 3 aeroports or one slot port. Because of the advice ive received on here, im leaning towards a large slot port now...

Btw, i cant thank all who have replied enough! as a new member, i didnt know if anyone would care but now i feel really welcome!

@alton Yeah i was planning to tune to 32hz as well - glad it sounds good! Thats alot of port area, i was planning on one 6inch dia. flared aeroport and now im thinking that might not be large enough to prevent port noise... what do you think?

You can use a single 6" port with no issues. If you are using a nice flared port, like precision ports, you should not really get any port noise.

Port area is not based on enclosure size, but by the drivers used as well as the goals in mind. A pair would be to much and would be far to long for most to every consider. For a couple of FI's I have done single 6" ports in the past and they work just fine, sound great and get plenty loud for daily and/or SPL. The enclosure I had pictured actually ended up with a pair of OA 12s and was doing very very well for a trunk car.

Also, you have to consider the room available and how everything works together in the application.

I like your enclosure though, that read looks real nice.

Oh, ok... so maybe i can just run one 6 inch.... that would be great because i wouldn't have to redesign my whole box haha

Sign in to follow this