Hey there! Just a question, I know amps get hot, but i think mine gets too hot. It will get hot enough to burn the shit outta your hand if you touch it and count to 3.

My question is, why? and can i prevent/stop this.

I thought the problem was because of its location, it was under my seat, so i moved it out in the open thinking it would get more air and stay cooler. But i was wrong.

It gets this hot on my way to and from work, so day and night regardless of outside temp. maybe 30 minutes of play.

Its this amp - http://crunchusa.net/Crunch_PowerOneAmp.html the one in the picture. 2050.1 and i have 2 IA Lethal Injection 12's D4.

My voltage never drops below 12, never.

Any ideas?

How are your grounds? Size of wires used?

Also they sell this model crunch through walmart. Prolly not their best equipment. Honestly, I'd suggest something more 'well built' especially for one ohm use.

J

So this is a walmart amp? WTF! lol i didnt know that, they dont sale nothin but sony and pioneer around here. Well, power and ground is 4 gauge and speaker wire is 14.

That is not a walmart amp. I had a IA 20.1 and it also ran very hot unless you keep the voltage near 13.8. Also could be something wrong with it.

That link you have up there is a walmart amp made by crunch! I thought you meant the IA's were getting hot. That cheap crunch just might get very hot.

What ohms are you using on that amp?

Cheap crunch class A/B amp in a hot trunk, ran at 1ohm getting hot enough to burn flesh is normal lol...I have a 600.2 and does the same thing if I beat on it hard.

Cheap crunch class A/B amp in a hot trunk, ran at 1ohm getting hot enough to burn flesh is normal lol...I have a 600.2 and does the same thing if I beat on it hard.

OK lol i just wanted to be sure i didnt have something messed up somewhere and it wasnt just my amp. So basically, i need another amp to kill/reduce the heat is what im getting?

Looks like its time to start saving for the endo i want...

I know it's a different situation, but my amp gets into the 150 degree range after a few minutes of full power demoing.

Also, what ohm load are you running? 4ohm? 1ohm?

make sure you have solid grounds also. paint is all away from grouning point and bolts are tight.

OK lol i just wanted to be sure i didnt have something messed up somewhere and it wasnt just my amp. So basically, i need another amp to kill/reduce the heat is what im getting?

Like others said first make sure your install is up to par proper power wire, solid battery and fuse connections at all terminals, good clean ground, and amp settings. Then you can probably draw the conclusion that it’s just the amps nature to run hot like I have from installing and using these amps.

You said you never drop below 12 but that is still enough voltage drop to heat an amp like that up with ease. I have the 600.2 and when bridged at 4ohms, with my electrical it never drops below 13.8 from a 14volt start and it still gets a good bit warm after about a half hour of heavy beating, but that’s to be expected. I have wired it down to 1ohm before (its not 1ohm stable of course) and it only takes a couple minutes of high volume bass heavy songs to make the heat sink hot enough to “cook eggs” before it protects, even with very low voltage drop.

One difference I believe between a cheap quality and good quality amp is that the designers of the lower quality amps seem to try and squeeze the most power they can out of the already cheap parts used in the amp, pushing them to their limit to do close to rated power. This is how you end up with a cheap amp running very hot and failing quicker than a better quality amp overtime. Most quality amps use internal components that can make the rated power without putting that much stress on the components used, making them able to run cooler and last longer than cheaper amps.

I’m not downing our amps in anyway because they serve their purpose when you have realistic expectations of them, but there is much better to be had out there. biggrin.png

Edited by BREEZE919

Like others said first make sure your install is up to par proper power wire, solid battery and fuse connections at all terminals, good clean ground, and amp settings. Then you can probably draw the conclusion that it’s just the amps nature to run hot like I have from installing and using these amps.

You said you never drop below 12 but that is still enough voltage drop to heat an amp like that up with ease. I have the 600.2 and when bridged at 4ohms, with my electrical it never drops below 13.8 from a 14volt start and it still gets a good bit warm after about a half hour of heavy beating, but that’s to be expected. I have wired it down to 1ohm before (its not 1ohm stable of course) and it only takes a couple minutes of high volume bass heavy songs to make the heat sink hot enough to “cook eggs” before it protects, even with very low voltage drop.

One difference I believe between a cheap quality and good quality amp is that the designers of the lower quality amps seem to try and squeeze the most power they can out of the already cheap parts used in the amp, pushing them to their limit to do close to rated power. This is how you end up with a cheap amp running very hot and failing quicker than a better quality amp overtime. Most quality use internal components that can make the rated power without putting that much stress on the components used, making them more efficient/cooler running than cheaper amps.

I’m not downing our amps in anyway because they serve their purpose when you have realistic expectations of them, but there is much better to be had out there. biggrin.png

Most new amps like 14.4 volts. eek5wavey.gif

Im pretty sure most old amps wouldn't complain about a solid 14.4 either lol

Im pretty sure most old amps wouldn't complain about a solid 14.4 either lol

Except stetsom amps. If you hit 15 volts they go into protect. Most new Ford and GM products will go over 15 volts.