Sign in to follow this  
TreezNSteez

which box for SPL?

Usually for a more Spl orientated build tuning around 35hz and up is more desirable. Tuning to 32hz would give you more Low end but would not have quite the output. I also Second getting Ryan at Ramdesigns to design you a box. He takes all perimeters into affect and gives you a cut list and also a 3d model which really helps visualize the box during building. Also for around $25 +/- $5 it wont break the bank, and will give you a better chance of it turning out how you want it.

messing around with another tuning calculator. ill post my results when im done and have you guys give some feedback.

Edited by TreezNSteez

alright i think i got it perfect.

Height: 15

Width: 30

Depth: 25

Port Height: 12.5

Port Width: 3.5

Port Length: 20

Woofer Displacement: .28

1 extra baffle

Net Volume: 4.00 ft^3

Tuning: 34.00 hz

Port Volume: .78 ft^3

Physical Port Length: 18.5

Port Area: 43.75

i feel this is perfect because its exactly 4 cubes, and has perfect tuning. but then again, i dont know anything about boxes, haha.

Oh, one thing i missed was that idk if this is a L port or not, doesnt say what kind of port.

anyways, what are your thoughts?

Port height isn't quite right. Should be 12.75". Also port are is a little on the small side. Will be a little better with the added .25". Also it will just be a straight port becausr the length of your port is short enough that you don't need to do a L port.

*area

thanks. my port height was wrong, but wouldnt it be 13.5? the 15 (height of box) - 1.5 (thickness of wood). im just not seeing where 12.75 came into play.

what port area should i aim for?

if i add another baffle, to make my woofers look flush, does that make my baffle thickness 1.5 or is it still .75? and my port would only have 2 common walls right?

15"- .75" (bottom)= 14.25- 1.5" (top and one extra baffle)= 12.75" and common walls depends on port orientation. for your first design with port in middle it would be 2 common walls but with port on side it would be 3 common walls (top, bottom and one side. Port area is generally recommended around 12-16" per cubic foot. (Is a lot of debate but that seems to be most common recommendation. For the dimensions you have with an extra baffle I think a side L port would work best. but I would make the port 12.75" high by 4" wide. then a port length of either 18" straight port (35.5hz tuning approx) or else if you want lower tuning just lengthen port and make a bend if you go over 20" to give a continuous 4" wide port. for example 19"= 35hz, 20"=34.5hz etc dropping by approx .5hz per inch.

if i do an L port how long do i make the bend? and what about a center port that bends out a little on each side?

also, when i plug your numbers in i get a different tune. with the 4" port width, 18" port length, with 3 common walls, i get a tune of 36.85 hz. with 2 common walls i get 37.04 hz.

here is what i have right now, sorry i cant take screenshots..

imag0095f.jpg

would i need to edit my height with a double baffle? like instead of 15", make it 15.75"

Edited by TreezNSteez

i think i got a good design.

H:16

W: 35

L: 20

Port H: 13.75

Port W: 3.75

Port L: 26.5

Port Area Per Ft: 14.74

Volume: 3.5 ft^3

Tune: 34.02 hz

sounds like it would sound pretty good.

The reason you got a different tuning is because you set your baffle to 1.5 instead of .75. That looks good though if its within the subs specs. Someone else with more experience will hopefully comment but looks good to me if you fix baffle thickness.

The reason you got a different tuning is because you set your baffle to 1.5 instead of .75. That looks good though if its within the subs specs. Someone else with more experience will hopefully comment but looks good to me if you fix baffle thickness.

wouldnt my baffle be 1.5, since each baffle is .75? and should i go with that box or the second one i made?

No it already figures a top on the box the baffle is just the second layer so just the .75. I don't know which box. I like the lows so I'd go for a lower tune like 32hz but if you want it to get loud and more SPL then a tune around 35hz would give u good lows but more output.