StreetLegal

Any Opinion on Hi-Vi D630 3-way ?

I've never had any personal experience with it, but I'd love to.

May have found a new set of speakers to play with. :D

I am thinking the same haha, just putting it out there to see if anyone have any exp. with it.

Edited by StreetLegal

Very nice looking component set.

Yes tongue.png , the set looks really nice, only draw back for me interms of looks is the woofer grill, but it would not be used 9 out of 10 times in a door install.

I have a friend with the d620s 2-ways in his c-class and they are fairly loud and clear at high volume. I've never heard the 630s before but from what I heard from the 620s i would want to think the 630s will do well. He does have a pre amp and also a soundstream crossover

Passive and three way in general is a mess. Of course the exception being if you place the drivers all on one baffle, but then the use of a 2" midrange is idiotic. Personally I don't like the cross points, the crossover, and the lie in marketing (German crafted midrange with a chinese sticker on the back of it, lol). The Lpad integration alone is scary, I can't imagine what other wonders are hiding under that plastic case.

Add to that the use of "marketing" materials in the design and it's of dubious quality at best. The added cost of Kevlar here with no added benefit makes no sense. Of course it worked in that it made you guys say the look "good" or "nice".

I've also never heard a HiVi tweeter I want to hear again. Not a good thing IMO.

I do understand their goals though. The only HiVi driver I've heard that was enjoyable was their 2" mid. Changing that design to shrink it and then apply it to use in something is a great idea. This just isn't how I'd implement it at all.

Passive and three way in general is a mess. Of course the exception being if you place the drivers all on one baffle, but then the use of a 2" midrange is idiotic. Personally I don't like the cross points, the crossover, and the lie in marketing (German crafted midrange with a chinese sticker on the back of it, lol). The Lpad integration alone is scary, I can't imagine what other wonders are hiding under that plastic case.

Add to that the use of "marketing" materials in the design and it's of dubious quality at best. The added cost of Kevlar here with no added benefit makes no sense. Of course it worked in that it made you guys say the look "good" or "nice".

I've also never heard a HiVi tweeter I want to hear again. Not a good thing IMO.

I do understand their goals though. The only HiVi driver I've heard that was enjoyable was their 2" mid. Changing that design to shrink it and then apply it to use in something is a great idea. This just isn't how I'd implement it at all.

I love how I can always count on your experience to ruin a moment, lol.

I'm only teasing. tongue.png I've had NO experience with any of HiVi's drivers at all and am glad to see your response to this. Not that I'll probably ever have the nearly $500 to spare and buy the set, but it saves me from ever having to worry about it. biggrin.png

I sure wish I had some of the knowledge and experience you have. I think it might make some of the idea's, thoughts, and other audio subject matter that floats around in my head a fair bit less foggy. I've done quite a bit of study and reading on many subjects in the audio engineering field but have only a general understanding of the majority of what I've read.

My goal wasn't to ruin the moment, but save you some money.

This would absolutely makes those look like serious POS.

Peerless SLS 8 $130/pr

Aura NS3 $25/pr

Dayton ND20 $30/pr

2 miniDSP $234 (with plug ins, isolator and volume knob)

Total: $419 + shipping leaving you $80 for a Line Driver so you don't even need a headunit anymore.

Okay, you still need to buy more amp channels, but the $80 goes a long ways in doing that. And yes, this has the potential to seriously make that HiVi set sound like its from Kmart.

I love this forum biggrin.png

And please no one go buy the drivers I "suggested" and randomly put them in your locations and expect gold. It was exclusively an option that would seriously destroy the set above. You should still have your locations and installation compromises thought of before shopping for drivers. And of course there are tons of choices depending. I actually could have even saved more money on drivers, but I'm a midbass nut.

I bought the D630 system at a 70% discount which should have been a hint as to what it is actually worth. I listened to the woofer free air and was immediately disappointed with what I heard. The sound was muddy, lacked dynamics and lacked micro-detail. Compared with a 15 year old Mercedes stock door speaker the D630 woofer was inferior in most ways.

Once installed the overall sound was very poor with the 2 inch dome mid sounding particularly honky with lots of untamed resonances/non-linearities. Crossing over the mid at 500 Hz is probably asking way too much of it, I would think that an octave higher crossover and some eq'ing and trap filtering in the crossover would have been warranted.  I built a pair of mini studio monitors using (Dynaudio copies) drivers made by Hi-Vi and those speakers sounded very good. The ScanSpeak cloned woofer in the D630 is a disaster. The tweeter is also not that great, sounding not very smooth.

I replaced the dome mid with a ScanSpeak 10cm car specific midrange driver and the sound is much better but the rest of the D630 system has to go. I will replace the tweeter and woofer with a Focal two way system and the whole thing will be run with active crossovers.

I don't have a lot of respect for HiVi. Their blatant copying of quality European drivers is shady at best, especially when the resulting product is totally inferior. I once heard a top of the line McIntosh monster line array speaker system with a six figure price tag. The sound was not good at all. That speaker used dozens and dozens of small diameter HiVi drivers in the line arrays. Lots of substandard quality drivers does not a quality loudspeaker make.

Enough of my ranting. ///M5 was very perceptive here. Looking back on it I asked the loudspeaker distributor owner if the HiVi component systems were any good. His response to me suggests that either: 1) he is deaf, 2) he never really heard the D630 system or 3) he wasn't really being honest with me and just wanted to move the crappy product.

Dude. . .   Nine-year-old thread.

Woah, old thread.  Are these still made?

Nope, but I have a couple Hi-VI mids and ribbon tweeters and they're all fabulous!