codester

2003 Dodge Dakota crew with 2 15" Icons

So I finally decided to start my first build log as my box is almost done and I've received most of the equipment.

So far my build will consist of 2 15" SSA Icon 15" in a 7.2 cubic foot enclosure tuned to 32hz. The subs will be ran by a Crescendo BC2000D wired with one positive run of ofc Knu 0 guage and one negative run. Battery is a brand new xs power d2700, front speakers are hertz hsk components in front and hertz ecx in rear on a Rockford T15004. Also have a 250 amp alt from Mike Singer coming. Will post pictures later today. I'm open to suggestions and critisism as long as its constructive as I'm always looking to learn.

This Is a pic of my box design, only difference is it will be double baffled with possibly a vinyl beauty panel. (Id be happy if mine turned out half as nice as Swifts)

Was really happy with Ram Designs, replied fast and had the design in 3 days, was over a weekend so was very impressed.

283079_468874666467741_706977486_n-1_zpsb6ae08fb.jpg

Please forgive my picture sizes. if someone could give advice as to how to resize that would be great.

Anyways this is one of my Icons next to a 12" type R.

IMG_20120917_182356_zpsbec47eea.jpg

40 feet of KnuKonceptz OFC 0 guage. Also got a fuse holder, RCA's etc. Its really nice stuff.

IMG_20120919_123034_zps3b1579a1.jpg

My Speaker amp, Don't know where I will mount it yet but Ill find a spot.

c6646947.jpg

Edited by codester

The Start of the box build.

This is only the third box i've built so its gonna be far from perfect, previous ones were for a Kicker CVR 12" and a IA I10" so nothing to this extent, so far i'm happy with how its turning out. These pictures are before hours of sanding to get joints perfect and clean up extra PL Premium.

Thanks for looking

IMG_20120930_150326_zps8bbd6f07.jpg

IMG_20120930_192421_zps2bf0ad69.jpg

IMG_20121001_204244_zps2f48bc33.jpg

I know holes aren't perfect, thought I had a circle jig but I didnt and wanted to get the top on so i freehanded it with a jigsaw, it turned out alright.

IMG_20121001_203411_zps587b0323.jpg

IMG_20121001_203512_zps2e715cff.jpg

That's where I left it last night, will be putting on top baffle and test fitting subs tonight. Probably will rock guard the whole box except the port and top baffle, then will paint the top and port blue to match truck and then make a black vinyl beauty panel for top similar to the design. Let me know what you think,

Edited by codester

Looks nice so far!

Typically I will oversize the overlay panels just a hair then run over it with a flush bit. Makes perfect seams and saves the hours of sanding.

Just a suggestion, and maybe you are doing this anyway, but where the dowel rods are it looks like they are touching or near touching. I'd add some adhesive to where they join together to keep them from rattling together.

Is that the full length of the port?

Looks good, just take your time and you will be proud of your results.

Looks nice so far!

Typically I will oversize the overlay panels just a hair then run over it with a flush bit. Makes perfect seams and saves the hours of sanding.

Just a suggestion, and maybe you are doing this anyway, but where the dowel rods are it looks like they are touching or near touching. I'd add some adhesive to where they join together to keep them from rattling together.

Is that the full length of the port?

Thanks for the tip, didn't even think of that. Dowels are a good quarter inch from touching at any point so I don't think I'll have a problem.

The port is another 1.5" long. Thanks for suggestions

ya i would of made all the dowels touch in the middle so you could attach them altogether...

looks good so far though !!

I guess you'd get more strength then. Oh well next build.

No more picture updates yet, been busy with life lately figuring out where I should go to school and for what.

Anyways on a more exciting note, I went to the shop and didnt want to get all dusty sanding as I was going out right away. and wanted so bad to hear the Icons so I test fitted them in the box, wired em up quick to four ohm, backed my truck into the shop and hooked up the subs to my Kicker kx700.5, so only getting about 100rms per sub and bumped them for a bit, wow the amount of air those things move with only 100rms is crazy, im very excited to hear them on some real power. Hoping to rip everything out of the back of my truck this weekend and get wiring and some deadening done. will upload more pics as I make progress,

Also on a side note, will I be alright making a Y in the remote wire for 2 amps vs using a relay? Will be running a Crescendo BC2000d (if it ever gets here :P) and probably my Kicker KX600.4.

IMG_20121002_193610_zps9f2ce305.jpg

IMG_20121002_191540_zpsdb6ccd1d.jpg

IMG_20121002_191600_zps7fd03f2d.jpg

Looks good, I assume you be using one side of the rear seats. I would definitely fire the subs forward and port up on drivers side. Or subs forward port side firing.

Looks good, I assume you be using one side of the rear seats. I would definitely fire the subs forward and port up on drivers side. Or subs forward port side firing.

That was my plan originally after seeing your build but after talking to both DC and Ram designs they both thought subs up port forward would be best with my measurements? So with my box as it is the only way I could do subs forward is if I have a 2/3 wall as it is 30w x 30 deep by 22.75" tall. With the subs up port forward Im at the window line or just above it. Only problem I see with port forward is it will be firing right into passenger seat. I guess ill put it in and try it in both positions before I bolt anything down though. And also Swift, your build is probably my favorite i've seen, I might try my hand at the vinyl panel. Did you just use 1/4" wood then thin foam wrapped in vinyl, Velcro onto box?

Yes you can just Y the remote. I don't use relays unless I'm hooking up so many things it will create a large current draw. Often a relay will pull more current than a couple devices will.

The way I do mine is run a single remote wire to the first amp. Then add a wire from the first amp remote to the second amp. Kinda like a daisy chain. I just think its a little cleaner looking but whatever works.

Thanks that would work good with my setup, gonna keep wiring as clean as I can.

Your gonna get more cabin gain with the port either up or to the side, but really you won't know until you try it both ways. It will probably change your freq response alittle each way so listen to several songs both ways. 1/4 board, glue foam p on then wrap on vinyl staple on back. I tried Velcro but my front piece is so large I actually have trim screws on each corner

Thanks a lot for the compliments.

Thanks for the info. I just pulled out my seats and have more room than I thought. So it will be nice not to be so crammed and could possibly do subs forward port up.

The way I do mine is run a single remote wire to the first amp. Then add a wire from the first amp remote to the second amp. Kinda like a daisy chain. I just think its a little cleaner looking but whatever works.

This is what I did when I had 2 amps.

Glad u like the icons so far!

Edited by 16K

Very nice man! Tuned in for the final results.

Been working like crazy on the truck this long weekend (Thanksgiving up in Canada) and made some good headway,

First thing I did is tear everything off including door panels, rear panel, back half of headliner etc. Then I used dynomat, great stuff (went a little spray happy :P and some camper mouunting foam to deaden and stop vibration of headliner and other panels. Very happy with results already, hitting the back wall or roof no longer gives that nasty tin sound but instead a hearty thump. Other thing I did today is build my false floor which my box and amps will be sitting on. used seat belt mounts to bolt down the floor and its very strong :). Also rockguarded the box today, (except the front baffel) pretty happy with the finish, couldnt get a perfect finish on front baffle so got it pretty good and gave up and just sprayed it black. (will probably put on a beauty panel in future.) Heres a few pics, sorry for lack of them, always just work and forget to take pics. let me know what you think.

also ran all wiring.

IMG_20121008_105823_zps082793fe.jpg

IMG_20121008_175748_zps9ac273bf.jpg

IMG_20121007_152558_zpsdc03e0c0.jpg

Looks great so far, man I love the icons.

that looks like a winner!

Wow just wow. I worked on getting everything in last night and this morning. Hooked up my Rockford t15004 because my crescendo is still a week away. Holy ball its stupid loud on 1/4 volume. Need to do some serious tuning etc so I can try and get speakers to somewhat keep up. Shakes my truck so bad but I got to be very careful as I'm getting bad voltage drop so gains are at minimum etc. Will post pics after work. These subs are awesome.

Try some xcons on the samme power!

Wow just wow. I worked on getting everything in last night and this morning. Hooked up my Rockford t15004 because my crescendo is still a week away. Holy ball its stupid loud on 1/4 volume. Need to do some serious tuning etc so I can try and get speakers to somewhat keep up. Shakes my truck so bad but I got to be very careful as I'm getting bad voltage drop so gains are at minimum etc. Will post pics after work. These subs are awesome.

Two 15's in a small truck will do that :) Have you tried which direction it sounds best in?