Sign in to follow this  
nicholasrhall

2 12 inch SSA XCON box design ideas and I need help

ok so im designing a box for two 12 inch xcons, ported going into my 2007 scion tc(Hatchback). Right now i have a decent box but its time for a rebuild.

My box right now is 40.5 inches wide, 20 inches deep, and 17 inches high behind the rear seats. Its tuned at about 29-31 htz(not too sure). It does a 143.7 on the meter sealed up on the glass. No deadening, no beauty panels.

But my concern is that my port is an Lport on the drivers side, it only goes halfway across the box so one woofer is above the port and the other is not. Im worried that the sub above the port is loading off of it and the other is not.

If it is i want to fix this, so a rebuild is underway. It has been almost a year with this box so i might as well.

What i want to know is, what is the best placement of the port and woofer? Sub up/port back? Sub back/ Port back? Sub forward/port forward? sub up/ port sidefiring? Sub forward/ port sidefiring? Sub back/Port sidefiring?

Im using winisd to help design it and also using google sketch up.

I am going to be putting two 12 inch xcons D1 woofers on about 2400 rms(soon to be ALOT more tho)

What amount of port area do i need for the enclosure?

will be updating this thread with more info as i go, along with shit loads of questions. Also going to design each enclosure and post a pic from sketchup of it along with specs, so i can get some sense of confirmation.

kinda doing this to see if a better design will put up a better number. still with no deadening and no beauty paneling. Then will add beauty panels and test again, then remove it all and deaden the shit out of the car and see what it does. IDK why i wanna do that, jus kinda curious i guess.

oh max dims are 40.5width, 20depth, and 17.75 height

not really needed but eh might as well put in the info for if i ever need help designing it.

What kind of car?

Never mind I can't read. Pm Shizzzon, he has the same car maybe he can help.

Yah i pm'd him, waiting on a reply, but i figure i might as well ask anyway.

Oh, how much port area would i need for the 2 12 xcons?

I have my single XCON (on 600 RMS) with a single 6" aero and it seems fine. When I build my final enclosure for both of my XCON's on more power I'll be using a bit more.

What amp do you plan on using in the end, and what tuning?

Edited by stefanhinote

power vent-mach port-area

4kw 17 m/s 130in^2

3kw 17m/s 112in^2

2kw 17m/s 91in^2

You can play around more here: bitpusher.in/?p=portarea

100in^2 would likely work well. If you have the room for more, and looking for every advantage for SPL then shoot for more.

IMO.

Edited by stefanhinote

well if i go with like 112-130 in^2 of port do you think id still have enough space to get 4.5-5 cubes of space out of the area that i have? Max dims are posted above.

well if i go with like 112-130 in^2 of port do you think id still have enough space to get 4.5-5 cubes of space out of the area that i have? Max dims are posted above.

Not a chance, unless you have an external port.

oh using 1 inch mdf with a 3/4 inch flushed second baffle

Which makes it even harder to do what you want.

lol, how much airspace would i have left if it was sub up/port back with the port at the bottom at the width of the box(38.5) with a height of like 3.25? and how long would it have to be?

No, with the dimensions from your old box you would end up well under the least recommended amount (3.5 ft^3).

lol, how much airspace would i have left if it was sub up/port back with the port at the bottom at the width of the box(38.5) with a height of like 3.25? and how long would it have to be?

38.5 x 3.25 = 125 in^2

Won't work. Your net volume would be under 3 ft^3, and require a port length over 40"

Less port area will work, just shoot for around 75 and you will be alright.

Even at 75 you will have less volume than you want.

ok well if i do 1 inch mdf all the way around with max dims. no flush mount baffle. Id get around 6.31575 ft^3. thats my max size for a box in my car without taking up rear seat space.

whats an ideal amount of airspace for two 12 inch xcons? minimum for the two?

How much port area can i get out of it with what i have right now?

oh and there will be bracing also, and do you think it would be better to go with single layer 3/4 inch mdf all around and double baffle?

You can get ~4 cubes with 75 square inches of port area and a 34hz tuning. With NO bracing.

hmmm, i wonder how much port area i have right now. -___- def not enough. haha not much thought was put into first box.

Consider using aeroports. They are more costly, but you can typically get away with less port area due to their flaring.

is that with 1 inch walls or 3/4 inch walls?

edit: to Ricksi30

Edited by NickHall

is that with 1 inch walls or 3/4 inch walls?

edit: to Ricksi30

1"