oldschool4life

Questions about upgrading todays cars...

I'm in the market for a new vehicle; and, I'm going to upgrade it.

I have questions about today's vehicles:

1. I'm looking at a model that has push button start and factory remote start; what challanges are there when adding a partial or full alarm on it?

2. This model has the full sat radio/navigation/premium head unit and I wanna at least add better bass; what challanges are there in integrating to this head unit?

A specific model, year, and equipment would be helpful.

2013 Ford Escape w/Factory Sony Navigation; it has push button start (factory remote has to be "in the car", hit the brake, and push the button) and remote start in the factory remote.

I haven't really looked at new stereo gear (haven't decided yet) but I figure I would need a JL Audio Clean Sweep to interface to the factory head unit. I like JL amps anyway so I might get a 600/1. Keeping options open to add 300/4 and door speakers.

you wouldn't need the clean sweep if the stock signal is flat. idk if that is the case with this car.

It appears that the head unit is made by Clarion even though it has Sony branded on it. The speakers are Sony I believe.

Sometimes easier to test than search. Not sure on that car a model specific forum might, but I doubt they generate all that much excitement for people to gather on.

As for why you didn't post details up front, now I understand. Buying a new car is an exercise in pissing your money away unless of course you've managed to pre-negotiate away the 30% you lose off MSRP driving off the lot.

I kinda decided on that vehicle. I just have to have commit and deal with the financial part of it.

It's a top of the line model with all the trimmings. I'm just researching if there is any issues when you have push button start and factory remote start when a full aftermarket alarm is installed.

And with that particular premium sound system, I'm not sure on what is needed to upgrade the sub.

Sony has been making Ford's HUs for YEARS. They do use some Blaupunkt in the Euro models though. You will need a CleanSweep or equivalent. As far as the alarm, you can do whatever you have money to do, but it's not something you will be able to do yourself due to the PATS. YOu will need a knowledgable installer with the correct hardware for the job.

Good lord. I hope Ford is giving some deep discounts. $37,000 loaded? I just bought the old lady a '12 certified preowned Audi Q5 3.0 Premium plus with 5,000 miles for less than that.

I can't say they are Sony for sure. They've had a number of manufacturers over the years with JBL doing most of them.

Even still they are going to be awful if you remove the stock processing.

It's off topic, but worth repeating. Financially buying a new car is akin to gambling on a table that automatically loses in Vegas.

You'd better find an Audi Q5 for that price !!!

Get a car without any upgraded sound system, and put whtever you want in. It may be easier and much cheaper.

Good luck !