jonbearsmt

looking for users of Gcon and SA12

ok heres the deal,

i have a friend that competes in streetspl,. he started the season off with 4 SA 12s on 2 M3as and was doing great, then he stepped up to 4 soundlab 18's on 4 M3as and was whopping ass.

the new season starts in january and hes looking to rebuild, he asked me to find him 9 SA 12s but im thinking to suade him into 9 Gcons,

the thing is, he knows the SA12's he ran them before, and i have too, great subs, but the Gcon is new, but it priced around the same, and its a comparable woofer on paper,

im looking for someone that has used both woofers, i dont want to talk this guy into getting something he may not be happy with then look at me like im an asshole.,

thanks guys.

I have used both. Not in comparison tests but in a few installs. They both can take power well but the GCON has a 3" coil compared to the SAs 2.5" coil. The gcon also has a small Xmax advantage.

can you tell me what a dual 2 resistance is. what it actually meters out to

1.3-1.4 DCR

Multiples of the SA-12's will end up with a ton of motor! But SSA is top notch goods! Can't go wrong either way.

IMO, the SA series in general is one of the most established and proven subs in their class.

Does that make the GCON any less awesome? Nope, but you won't be able to find half the info you can find on an SA-12. It's been around longer, and it's been in more SPL setups so...yeah. If he goes with the GCONs it will pretty much be uncharted territory.

1.3-1.4 DCR

wow thats really low. he needs to be closer to 2 for sure, hes doing 9 of them so after all said and done he needs to be close to a half ohm at the end..... and that just wont cut it. 1.3 1.4

1.3-1.4 DCR

wow thats really low. he needs to be closer to 2 for sure, hes doing 9 of them so after all said and done he needs to be close to a half ohm at the end..... and that just wont cut it. 1.3 1.4

I had someone else measure a 12" D2 and they came up with 1.6-1.7. I double checked with another meter and came up with 1.6-1.7. I must need to get the other meter recalibrated. Sorry for the misinformation.

1.3-1.4 DCR

Won't that resistance go up with the temp. It was measured at 35 degrees .

Curious why you even think there is a potential downside to the Gcons? Be a complete win if you ask me.

not so much a downside,

but you have to understand this guy knows the SA sub well.... and i know little to nothing about the Gcon, and its not a widely used field tested and battle proven sub YET.

im trying to steel the guy the SSA way, thats why im asking people that have used both to give me some pointers of how the Gcon outshines the SA sub,

i have already compiled a list. just looking to add to it,

im trying to get this guy to use them, if he can use 9 Gcons in a spl set up then this will greatly help the Gcons standing in spl use,. ..... like the SA.

Why not have him buy one and see the light himself?

I have hit 138 db using a 12 d2 gcon powered by a aq750. Running @ 1 ohm.

Edited by pmureika

Why a gcon in an Spl set up?

Why a gcon in an Spl set up?

price point.. .same reason the SA was first used in a SPL set up.

great idea in theory, and i agree but most people are not as open to take such a leap.

i have even thought about telling him to buy a pair, and if he does not like them then ill buy them.... but i have no use for them, and i do thing like that too often.. maybe that why i have so much car audio shit laying around the house with no use for it.

He took that leap with the SA's originally...

great idea in theory, and i agree but most people are not as open to take such a leap.

i have even thought about telling him to buy a pair, and if he does not like them then ill buy them.... but i have no use for them, and i do thing like that too often.. maybe that why i have so much car audio shit laying around the house with no use for it.

I think you could find a buyer pretty easy.