Mr.jaundurfle

Need Some Advice, ZCON 15 or 2 ICON 12's

I need some advice please. I just bought a 2012 VW Passat with plenty of space in the trunk and I have plans to upgrade the electrical. I have never had any subs in a ported box (and plan to build a ported box, 4.5 - 5 cubic feet, for this system), have never had subs bigger than 12"s and have never heard SSA subs. I have a DC 5.0K amp that I would like to run at 2 ohms, so I was thinking I could go with either 2 ICON 12" dual 2's or one ZCON 15" dual 1. I mostly listen to rock and metal music, but do enjoy some dub step and bass drops, so I would like to be loud but sound great doing it. What would you go with?

Also the ported box will be facing foward sealed off from the trunk and tuned to around 35 hrz.

Edited by Mr.jaundurfle

A pair of Icon 12's might be the best choice if this is for daily driving. :)

A little more cone area, less power compression and Icon's are excellent daily drivers. :)

Icons for daily a driver.

Thanks Aaron

:fing34::)

i listen to rock,, country, rap.. and my zcon 18 loves it all lol. iv never had the icon series before but im sure they are some kick ass subs as well. u will be happy with which ever u go with :)

I thinks some Icon 12's would kick ass

ICON 12"s, however, if you dropped down to 1 ohm and found a little more money, the ZCONs would love that power.

ICON 12"s, however, if you dropped down to 1 ohm and found a little more money, the ZCONs would love that power.

0.5.... :peepwall:

ICONs get my vote. They get nice and loud and sound great!

ICONs would be a more wise decision.

Thanks for the help everyone. I have a good grasp on car audio, but one thing I would like to know is, Aaron said the ICONs would make a better daily driver system as compareed to the ZCON. Why would this be? Everything I have read about the SSA subs say they all sound great and get low and loud. If I had the clean recommended power and space for the ZCON, why would it not make a good daily sub? I am thinking of taking most everyones input and going with the ICONs, but I would just like to know what makes a sub a good daily or a good competition sub. Thanks again.

I think two icons would sound better for daily driving.

2 Icons will be great for sure.

But Take a look at the Xcons too ! They're like "Icons on steroïds" (who said that ? Mark or Aaron ?!!!) : I had both subs, and it's a good way to decribe the Xcons !!!

But Take a look at the Xcons too ! They're like "Icons on steroïds" (who said that ? Mark or Aaron ?!!!) : I had both subs, and it's a good way to decribe the Xcons !!!

My experience with my 2 15" Icons after a couple days is that they are already on steroids, they get crazy loud and DESTROY the lows but still have a nice tight response and sound good on country or rock as well as rap or decaf. Im very happy with the subs and would definitely recommend them.

Haha, I thought about XCONs too, but I am trying to stay at two ohms at the amp and I already have a brand new DC 5.0K, so that amp would either be too little at 2 ohms or too much at 1 ohm for the XCONs.

The 5.0K would be perfect, at 2 ohms, for either 2 ICON 12s or 1 ZCON 15. I think I'll go with the ICONs when I am ready to order.

Thanks for the help everyone. I have a good grasp on car audio, but one thing I would like to know is, Aaron said the ICONs would make a better daily driver system as compareed to the ZCON. Why would this be? Everything I have read about the SSA subs say they all sound great and get low and loud. If I had the clean recommended power and space for the ZCON, why would it not make a good daily sub? I am thinking of taking most everyones input and going with the ICONs, but I would just like to know what makes a sub a good daily or a good competition sub. Thanks again.

Check my second reply to the topic. ;)

My experience with my 2 15" Icons after a couple days is that they are already on steroids, they get crazy loud and DESTROY the lows but still have a nice tight response and sound good on country or rock as well as rap or decaf. Im very happy with the subs and would definitely recommend them.

:woot:

Check my second reply to the topic. wink.png

Okay, I just need to search and figure out what power compression is now. Thanks

Check my second reply to the topic. wink.png

Okay, I just need to search and figure out what power compression is now. Thanks

Think of it as the law of diminishing returns. Applying more and more power to a speaker is one of the lesser efficient ways to gain output.