1two3

will my amp be underpowered?

lookin at one of the xs batteries (5100R) and i got a question, the amp rating is based on 14.4V (right?) and im guessing the 12V on the battery is for how much it puts out so does that mean the amp isnt going to get sufficient power?

You have an alternator right?

Amps run on 12v or alt power which is above 14v

the battery is a 12 volt battery but your alternator puts out about 14.4v. this means, simple terms, the battery will be 14.4v and the amp will see 14.4v when the car is running. if you turn the car off and run the system, you'll see 12v and not see the rms your amp is rated for at 14.4.

you'll be fine for a basic system

It's gonna be good. Your car is on 12v, but runs at 14.4 or a little less.

You need only a 12 v battery. Don't need 14 or 16 v ones.

Some amps are rated at 13.8 v. It's not so important, so don't worry about that.

Did not see the previous answers. How do you say that ? Ninja'd ?!!!

Edited by Notorious from FWI

the battery is a 12 volt battery but your alternator puts out about 14.4v. this means, simple terms, the battery will be 14.4v and the amp will see 14.4v when the car is running. if you turn the car off and run the system, you'll see 12v and not see the rms your amp is rated for at 14.4.

whats considered a basic system? under 2000W?

Good question.

XS rates the batteries for what power you plan to run for if its a primary battery (underhood) or if its a secondary battery (in rear). It says 2000-3000 watts. I would say that battery alone in the front should be fine for "up to" 2000 watts of stereo on stock electrical with the big 3 done. Any more and add another battery to the rear and look into a aftermarket alt. Add a volt meter to monitor it to be safe.

I would say most "basic" systems out there are under 2000 watts

Edited by swift

XS rates the batteries for what power you plan to run for if its a primary battery (underhood) or if its a secondary battery (in rear). It says 2000-3000 watts. I would say that battery alone in the front should be fine for "up to" 2000 watts of stereo on stock electrical with the big 3 done. Any more and add another battery to the rear and look into a aftermarket alt. Add a volt meter to monitor it to be safe.

But you won't hear a difference between 14.4 and 12.8 volts. adhd.gif

one more thing:

senario A:

2000W sub amp

Senario B:

1500W sub amp + 500W 4 way (=2000W)

would there be any difference in how much power is needed to run either senario?

one more thing:

senario A:

2000W sub amp

Senario B:

would there be any difference in how much power is needed to run either senario?

I think you answered your own question 2000 watts either way.

I never said you would, not in his case anyway.

I wasn't referering to you. But I think most systems are around 1000 wrms.

one more thing:

senario A:

2000W sub amp

Senario B:

I think you answered your own question 2000 watts either way.

No, Amplifier efficiency will come into play.

why not in my case? im guessing its cuz ill only be running 2k watts? when would you start hearing a difference?

When your voltage drops too low and your amps shut off.

When your voltage drops too low and your amps shut off.

out of curiosity, how low would the voltage have to drop?

Depends on the amplifier, but normally around 10.5VDC.