Austin863

Murder Mat

So i was curious on some of the responses of the murder mat. The MDK and the BL series. I am really gonna need deadener after i get my seccond gcon in my van coz it already rattles enough hahahaha.

okay then i guess i should to haha

Let me rephrase my last comment, It was effective in my install and I would buy again or recommend to somebody else. Also the top constraint layer doesn't cut your hand up either. The adhesive is strong and from my understanding it is thickest on the market at 87 and 90mils. I'm a noob and just trying to help.

Does anyone know how it would stack up against sds products?

It hasn't been out long enough and even if it had, it would just be opinions and not facts. The bad thing about these types of products is there is very little scientific evidence and pretty much zero comparison. Most of it is perception. By simply installing it, we expect a change and already have it in our minds we've made a difference, so we perceive a difference even if there isn't one. I'm not saying one or more, or even all of the products are useless, however, there's only one person who has done any type of real research and scientific measurements and it wasn't until his site exposed a lot of the myths that the other manufacturers, including the big mainstream guys, caught on and started to follow.

Subjective evaluation of CLD is the least reliable. Any change is construed as positive change and evidence that the product works as advertised.

I haven't looked at the specs in a while, but IIRC the the damping layer and constraining layer were both fairly thick. The difference however is going to be in things such as the compound used in the damping layer, we don't have anywhere near enough information to know what formulation was used and how effective it is as a constrained layer damper and other aspects of it's performance.

TireFryr. I'm interested in what you are trying to say.

"Sound deadened", the sticky stuff with the foil, you think of when you think of sound deadener is not made to keep noise from coming in your vehicle. It is designed to keep panels from resonationg or creating noise from vibration.

It's not gonna keep those panels from vibrating, it'll only keep it from resonating. So only put as much as you need to keep it from resonating

Then use a mass loaded material to keep noise reduced.

It's really common sense. You don't have to completely cover a bell in bubble gum to make it stop resonating it only takes a glob on one spot.

If the foil is too thick it'll fail. Anthole didn't believe it, but then made his stupid tiles and guess what? They fail. Not saying the MM is at all like that as I haven't even looked at the specs, but extra thickness is not a guarantee of being proportional to deadening capability.

Even if this Murder Mat is better than other sound deadeners or vice verca, would anyone actually be able to tell (hear or not hear) a difference between the different brands of deadening?

The law of diminishing returns happens. That being said buying from a reputable source so you get what you are expecting is key.

The hearing test is tough, but it is possible to measure. Requires techniques to look at surface velocity with a calibrated input to calculate transfer functions, but ALL the oem's do this daily.

i just wanna know if its a good bang for the buck. haha dons is a good price but seccond skin is better price but i saw this stuff they deff compete with SS

SS price might be better (haven't checked), but Don's "price" also comes with an extremely methodical system for achieving your goals with the least but most effective amount of material and an extremely detailed and comprehensive plan for deadening the vehicle, applying the product, etc.

So while unit to unit the price might be cheaper, following Don's comprehensive plan might allow you to use less material than if you were to "plan" it out on your own which would be cheaper in the long run, plus you have one of the most knowledgeable guys in the industry detailing a plan specifically for you, your goals and your budget.

Don doesn't have a cart checkout system on his site for a reason. He wants to have that conversation with the customer, to help them establish goals and a plan for achieving those goals.

All in all I would say Don has the best bang for the buck, all things considered.

SS price might be better (haven't checked), but Don's "price" also comes with an extremely methodical system for achieving your goals with the least but most effective amount of material and an extremely detailed and comprehensive plan for deadening the vehicle, applying the product, etc.

So while unit to unit the price might be cheaper, following Don's comprehensive plan might allow you to use less material than if you were to "plan" it out on your own which would be cheaper in the long run, plus you have one of the most knowledgeable guys in the industry detailing a plan specifically for you, your goals and your budget.

Don doesn't have a cart checkout system on his site for a reason. He wants to have that conversation with the customer, to help them establish goals and a plan for achieving those goals.

All in all I would say Don has the best bang for the buck, all things considered.

alright maybe ill check into dons more then i know i had emailed him and he responded so.