harvester51

fi sp4 18 vs ssa Zcon 18

Hey eveybody ive been doing a little research and ive narrowed it down to these two subs and cant decide which to go with as if now for electrical i have a yellow top under the hood and the big 3 done and will be adding another battery in the back probably xs d3100 and for the amp im planning on going with cresendo 2250 and its all going in a 1988 suburban not looking for numbers just a good loud daily sub.

Either will be great, flip a coin! Literally

Both subs are amazing and with either one you can be proud to say you have one of the best subs on the market today.

From a Customer service standpoint the Zcon hands down.

My next build will be SSA

Edited by swift

I don't have experience with the Fi, but I can say the ZCON has a very smooth response. I have my 18 tuned to 33hz and it hits hard on every song I throw at it. I'm thoroughly impressed by the ZCON.

I do believe the Lineraty? of the sp4 is extremely impressive. The zcon can take gwaps of power, and put up some godly numbers. Mark/Aaron have also had amazing CS. You can really flip a coin.

You won't be disappointed with either. I do agree that it is nice that Aaron is on here pretty much everyday answering questions, and addressing any issues.

Yea i was leaning toward the zcon because ive purchased ssa before.

:doit:

They both are great subs. I had a pair of 15's of each and the only difference was the sp4s were 1 db louder. Or as equal as i could make it. They both sound great everything else was pretty much even.

Edited by liljestrand

Yea i was leaning toward the zcon because ive purchased ssa before.

:doit:

They are two different sub woofers, as the design is fairly different. But, they are meant for similar end goals. The SP4 does have more coil surface, and the option for a spaced spider, so it is able to handle more then the Zcon. Either way, it is a win win. :)

what is a spaced spider?

what is a spaced spider?

There is an additional spider placed on a different landing on the basket. This can help with possible coil rock at extremely high levels, as the basket the SP4 uses has a ton of clearance. The SP4 does not have a coil rock issue, but for a metaphor; think about a po-go stick as your jumping up and down, it is more stable when both your hands and feet are on it, compared to just your feet.

with the power you have i would go with the Zcon.

For daily Fi SP4 18

The SSA nuthuggers will recommend the zcon.

Huge differences between these two subs. Premature to recommend one over the other with the information you provided.

what is a spaced spider?

There is an additional spider placed on a different landing on the basket. This can help with possible coil rock at extremely high levels, as the basket the SP4 uses has a ton of clearance. The SP4 does not have a coil rock issue, but for a metaphor; think about a po-go stick as your jumping up and down, it is more stable when both your hands and feet are on it, compared to just your feet.

no kidding? I saw this feature on another brand sub woofer. I was very impressed. I'm glad to see others doing the same. But come to think about they use like baskets.

Hey man my buddy has both of those he is trying to sell, Message Dictator or me later bro save some money! they both are great subs

what is a spaced spider?

no kidding? I saw this feature on another brand sub woofer. I was very impressed. I'm glad to see others doing the same. But come to think about they use like baskets.

i few other company's have too... just to name one off the top of my head the LMS ultras were like that,

That is because of the Ti basket, Fi owns the appearance of that basket.

The SSA nuthuggers will recommend the zcon.

Huge differences between these two subs. Premature to recommend one over the other with the information you provided.

If one of the options was Sundown, you would have chosen it ;)

Hehehe