Sign in to follow this  
mklett33

How to Design Your Box in Google Sketchup!

Here is a follow up video showing how to create more intricate Kerf geometry.

Pinned, as a number of people would benefit from some basic 3D modeling knowledge, especially when it comes to dealing with space constraints or obstacles.

Pinned, as a number of people would benefit from some basic 3D modeling knowledge, especially when it comes to dealing with space constraints or obstacles.

THANK YOU SIR!

This helped a lot. There was a few tools i couldnt find and i didnt realize there was another toolbar until i watched your video.

Just skimmed through the vids so sorry if you mentioned it but it's a lot easier to do kerfs on just the bottom piece and then extrude everything up afterwards. At least for me it's more convenient to lay everything out on the bottom layer first and then raise it up when I'm done so the only thing left to do is add the top piece.

Just skimmed through the vids so sorry if you mentioned it but it's a lot easier to do kerfs on just the bottom piece and then extrude everything up afterwards. At least for me it's more convenient to lay everything out on the bottom layer first and then raise it up when I'm done so the only thing left to do is add the top piece.

I did things this way at first but I like my method better as once the box is complete all the different pieces are "grouped" as their own entity. So what I will do is copy everything, or even copy the whole document itself and make a "cut sheet" with the pieces. Literally lay out everything in an 8' by 4' rectangle, then I know what pieces to cut from where in the piece and save wood.