cmw5e

slot port vs aero port in a single cab

i know ive been asking a lot of questions but ive finally decided on all my equipment the only thing left is getting the box right. it will be a 12" type r fifth gen on an audioque 1200. ive built aero port boxes before but never a slot port. ive always done it with a single sub setup having the sub behind the passenget seat and the aero port out the side on the driver side. the box will be around 1.75^3 to 2.0. im just wondering the best box to get full potential out of the setup

behindseat_zpsc6745215.jpg

Edited by cmw5e

I think people usually use slot ports because they can have more port area[ie. a 40x12 port] and it is easily adjusted if necessary.

An aero port however is a different beast because your stuck with the same diameter and can only change the length.

Edited by djjdnap

Aero ports costs more than mdf.

Aero ports can reduce turbulence in the port, so often times you can get away with less port area than otherwise required.

I'm talking about flared aero ports, not circular ports.

Edited by stefanhinote

i havent tried the flared ports ive only done boxes with a circular port. i didnt know with the box being as long as its going to be if one would be better than the other. dimensions are about 42-43 long, 8 - 9 deep, 12-13 tall

i havent tried the flared ports ive only done boxes with a circular port. i didnt know with the box being as long as its going to be if one would be better than the other. dimensions are about 42-43 long, 8 - 9 deep, 12-13 tall

Then it makes no difference. Port area is port area.

I would base which port you want on your build skills. If you are able to use the correct tools required and are decent with math then a slot port side firing would be a great option. However, if you find that you are not so good with one or the other a flared round port would be a great choice. There are differences, but if you are not going to be on the meter(SPL) then it is less then likely you will hear much of a difference unless you have port noise in the slot port.

i mean obviously im not looking for huge numbersdont care about it getting metered because i know single cabs are tough to get loud. im just looking for decent output for all types of music

Type of port doesn't make any difference at all. Execution in both assembly and design on the other hand make all the difference in the world.

Here is the box I did for my buddies 98 F150 single cab, seat leans all the way back, slot port tuned to 30 hz behind driver seat. Box is 2.30cu ft.

He didnt want it covered BTW. Sounds awesome

Jbox_zps16cbe3a9.jpg

Jbox1_zpsc86dc654.jpg

how does it sound? looks very good btw

edit: didnt see where you said it sounds awesome lol

Edited by cmw5e

wheres the best place to buy some aero ports? and what diameter?

In looking at that box you made for your buddy it looks like you would be required to smash your knees on the dash if sitting in the passenger seat.

As far as your box I say side firing the port.I really like slot porting way better than aero or "circular".

Edit:

Didn't read enough :( sorry

Edited by Frostedflakejake

lmao ..

i think the last box that was in my TC was aero ports i just used 4 8" or 10" pvc or cpvc... idk I got it from a guy i know that works for the city for free.

wasn't flared either but still sounded good, was alot of dam port area in a small ass box for 2 18's

In looking at that box you made for your buddy it looks like you would be required to smash your knees on the dash if sitting in the passenger seat.

As far as your box I say side firing the port.I really like slot porting way better than aero or "circular".

The passenger has plenty of room, maybe if you well over 6ft you wouldn't want to ride a long trip with him, he just wanted to be able to lean the drivers seat all the way back or install a amp on the port wall. I will be shortening his port to see if he like a higher tuning soon

my amp will be installed on the thin piece of wood we wrapped right above where the wires are coming out. im gonna build the box to save a few bucks but i just dont feel experienced enough to do the slot port thats why i was mainly wanting to do the aero port

from what ive looked up i think im going with a 4" aero 12 and a half long so it will be tuned to 34 hertz in a 1.9 ^3 box

i was wondering if it would be better to have the better to have the port coming out of the side behind the driver seat or have 2 smaller ports firing up?

i was wondering if it would be better to have the better to have the port coming out of the side behind the driver seat or have 2 smaller ports firing up?

How much room is between the wall and the end of where the port would be?

I’m interested in knowing as well. Side firing slot port on the driver side is ideal? And how far from the wall is recommended ?

Having tested multiple enclosures in a single cab Dodge (2nd gen), I will say sub on passenger side low in the enclosure with port running above the sub, also firing passenger side; 9-12 sq in per cube tuned in the high 30's/low 40's will be ideal for a ground pounder that will also get loud on the meter. And don't let that tuning scare you into thinking it won't get low. My last setup before I sold my single cab was 1 15" on about 2000 -2500wrms in a box that was 3.5 net with 38 sq I of port tuned to 40 hz; all behind the seats with sub behind the passenger seat and port firing towards the passenger wall. Would do a 148 at 42 hz, and a 145 at 28 hz. Now, in this configuration your passenger seat will be much louder than your driver seat (because of how it loads, especially with the driver door open). But, this makes for an excellent demo machine. Hope that helps. 

Ok thanks for the input! Useful info there. But I’m doing it for a friend he has a 91 f150. I can get the bix to about 2.25 ft3 after displacement. I’m gonna be stuffing an hds3.1 12 in there. It’ll be a wedge type box, with the sub firing backwards because there’s a slight pocket so the surround won’t hit nothing. And I’ll use a slot port 2 inches wide and the height of the box which will give me 32 sq inches. I was looking at sub on passenger side and the port firing driver side. He ain’t really gonna be demoing so I just want it to blow him away.  I had two 12p3 shallow mounts but he blew those. Then I tried to put 2 hds8 in it and it wasn’t as loud as I thought it be. It could be because the magnet was about a half inch away from a wall I’m not sure if that affects the sound that much.  So this new Box I’m gonna make a pocket so the sub can breath a little more. And I guess for tuning I’ll go with 36hz. Soundqubed says it likes high tuning. And you went ahead and suggested high tuning so guess I’ll guve it a try