Sign in to follow this  
Godsmack

Studio Photography

With 'winter' coming I need to move some shooting in doors. That being said, I am going to need better flashes for my Nikon D3000.

Most of my photo's will be done in a single room I am going to convert into a 'studio' room, but the lighting will need to be mobile for other sets (bar, bedroom, etc). I just need to know where to look for good flashes and what I should expect to pay.

The VAST majority of the subjects are females 18-29 in various outfits. They want 'portfolio' work and I am more than happy to help, I just need better setups.

J

What flashes do you already have?

For the sake of portability my two SB800's do the job. The D3000 is an entry level camera that I doubt supports off camera flashes. You will need to manually adjust your flash settings. Sounds like you are just starting out so manual flash is a great way to learn.

Be fore warned, you will not just buy flashes and take professional photographs.

If I were you, buy a better camera and fast glass. Flash photography can produce amazing photographs but you need to be well versed in the understanding of your equipment and setup.

Edited by edouble101

I literally have no flashes besides the built in shit. While the D3000 may be a 'starter' camera I have taken some AMAZING shots (IMHO) with it. Is it perfect? Not in the least.

I am not looking to go 'magazine quality' per se, but I want to put my best foot forward. As for a better camera what would you suggest? I truly love Nikon and would like to stay with them if possible. And what do you mean by 'fast glass'?

J

Fast glass: large aperature lens (small f-stop # like 1.8), great for low light conditions. Larger aperature opening allows more light into the sensor which enables you to use faster shutter speeds.

Check out David Hobby's strobist blog. http://strobist.blogspot.com/2006/03/lighting-101.html?m=1 Dom Bower is also an excellent blogger/teacher http://www.dombower.com/section439099.html

If you want to get serious with your photography step it up to the D7000. All the features you need at the fraction of a "professional" camera.

Edited by edouble101

I've been looking at that. Right now, and for a little bit longer cost is a factor.

J