Budah93

Buying Speakers

What has sundown made that isn't respectable? I wouldn't make this decision with alpine or kicker just because I have been let down with brands like this.

Blanket statements are ALWAYS wrong. And yours is even uglier. Compare engineering teams and the companies goals and if you truly still believe in what you said there you should seriously rethink it. The world is much more complex than you are giving it credit for.

I almost have to go off of names I like. 1.) I can't listen to either of the sets 2.) Internet reviews mean nothing 3.) The sundown is the cheapest of the three

Then buy something random as used. If you aren't willing to try and search then it's a crap shoot anyways. I like how you ignored my other comment which of course would easily resolve your 123.

Buy a set of IA comps.smile.png

Haha hilarious, OP you should stop cause your not gonna get anywhere with these guys.

Since you want to keep it all Alpine then go with the Type X out of the 3 choices you have since they have some great engineers behind them. If you don't like the comps, then put them in your other car like you stated earlier.

1.) I can't listen to either of the sets

Then look at it objectively from a design point of view. I believe myself and M5 have given you some very good points to consider in this regard, and you've blatantly ignored them and instead trudged down your path of fanboyism based on the name stamped on the box.

2.) Internet reviews mean nothing

Again, then consider it from an objective point of view. See my above comments.

3.) The sundown is the cheapest of the three

Of course it is. They have the least overhead and least engineering behind them.

I'm not ignoring your comments. I don't know what they mean. I've never really done components. I have some cheap Rockford primes now but usually just run coaxials

I'm not ignoring your comments. I don't know what they mean. I've never really done components. I have some cheap Rockford primes now but usually just run coaxials

Its a crosseover with a sub and a tweeter that comes prepackaged.

Its a crosseover with a sub and a tweeter that comes prepackaged.

Its a mid not a subwoofer that comes prepackaged in components. Im pretty sure he meant he didnt know what Impious was talking about and not what a component set it is since he currently has some.

I didn't think my comments or M5's were that vague, but I'll reword it a little more bluntly.

I would fully expect both the Alpine Type X and the Type R to be better engineered and better performing speakers than the Sundown. Which means I would expect both of them have the potential to sound better than the Sundown. So why in this situation you would choose the Sundown is beyond me. Yes they are cheaper, but given the start of this thread you never said you were on a $155 budget....so why not choose one of the better options?

I just wanted to know how the sundowns were better than the alpines. I'm not dead set on any set I was just throwing out options and wanted to know what you guys thought

I just wanted to know how the sundowns were better than the alpines.

They're probably not. The opposite is much more likely.

There's your answer.

back in my installer days we took a Rf 10 put it a box ran a 100 watts to it , then we took a Radio Shack 10 put it in a box ran the same amp to it and the Radio Shack 10 was clearer and hit harder had better roll off and everything. Yes each box was built to Manufacturers specs So don't be afraid to spend a little less cash its will all be in how you Power and tune your setup. I am Planning on doing a system with the cheapest stuff i can buy Just to prove a name brand IS NOT ALWAYS the best JUst MY.02

back in my installer days we took a Rf 10 put it a box ran a 100 watts to it , then we took a Radio Shack 10 put it in a box ran the same amp to it and the Radio Shack 10 was clearer and hit harder had better roll off and everything. Yes each box was built to Manufacturers specs So don't be afraid to spend a little less cash its will all be in how you Power and tune your setup. I am Planning on doing a system with the cheapest stuff i can buy Just to prove a name brand IS NOT ALWAYS the best JUst MY.02

I don't see how that's relevant and it's certainly nothing more than an opinion and doesn't prove anything.

Inexpensive equipment CAN be installed and made to sound quite good, I agree with that completely. However, the companies that have spent major time in R&D and making strides in the technology they use and the quality of the drivers they produce have to charge more because they have more invested. While a great driver in a crappy install can generally be outperformed by a cheap driver in an ideal installation the better driver in IT'S ideal installation will generally yield unrivaled performance compared to that of the cheaper driver. It's all about compromise, knowledge and experience.

While I do agree that the Alpines definitely have the background to suggest they're the better choice, it's not fact. Until someone takes the time to do measurements and direct comparisons between the sets there's no way to know with absolute certainty which is the better one. That will (probably and most likely) never happen, so then it comes down to compromise, knowledge and experience. Is the OP willing to compromise some quality in sound reproduction to save a few dollars and meet his set budget goal? Does the OP have the knowledge in driver placement and installation to ensure he can even get the best results from the more expensive set? Does the OP even have the experience to know the difference when he hears it?

In almost all likelihood the OP is, doesn't, and can't. There's no intended offense to the OP in that statement either, hell I know I don't have the knowledge and experience to do that myself. That being said, my recommendation to the OP is to pick a budget for the speakers AND as close to an ideal installation as he can handle. Then buy accordingly. I don't think there's a big enough difference in the performance quality between the Alpine Type X's and Type R's to warrant the extra cost if you're just going to throw them in the factory locations and do a run of the mill install. As far as the Alpine's vs. the Sundown's, there's no way for anyone to give an opinion there yet since the Sundown's aren't out yet. It's a gamble plain and simple. Given Sundown's history to do well with their products by the numbers sold, I think there's a chance they'll perform adequately for pretty much every average listener with average installation skills. I have to admit I almost pre-ordered a set just so I could play with them and see what my opinion was, though it would only and ever just be my opinion, meaningless to anyone else and pointless. Much like my response.

I'm not doing a run of the mill install. i'm building custom mdf baffles and running everything correct so i get the optimal sound.

I'm not doing a run of the mill install. i'm building custom mdf baffles and running everything correct so i get the optimal sound.

That is a run of the mill install...

Unless you're modeling sealed pods vs. infinite baffle, driver location and orientation (on/off axis response) and cutting/fiberglassing to fit the drivers where they sound the best then...yeah.

It takes more than mdf baffles and flush mounted tweeters to get "optimal sound." No offense intended at all, just to clairfy.

There are several problems here. For example, we are discussing front stage speakers, not subwoofers. Distortion and other factors are much more difficult to hear in the subbass than in the midrange and treble, which is what this thread is about. Also, "build to manufacturer spec" doesn't mean anything. They would have needed to have been in identical alignments in order to begin approaching a meaningful comparison. In addition, subjective interpretations are not very reliable as there are several factors at play both with the test (test conditions, source material, etc) and differences in two people's subjective opinions of what sounds "better"....which makes your opinion completely irrelevant to what my opinion may be.

Basically....no offense, but your "test" isn't relevant at all to the discussion at hand.

I was just giving a gist of what I was planning. I know there are many other details I just didn't want to type everything out

All i was trying to say is that if you take into consideration air space and power you can get good sound without having to dump a lot of $$$. yes the discussion is about front stage and there are a lot of different factors to take into consideration as in placement, angle ,power and mass more. It has been 20+ years since i have professionally installed systems and a lot of things have changed since then and I am trying to learn as much as i can.