stevemead08

new team SSA build. 2 zcon 18s on 10k. 159.5db

This is a good buddies build. I got him hooked up with Mark to order 2 zcon 18s and 2 crescendo 5500s.

Mark came through very fast on delivery. This blazer already had a 6th order for 2 IA dp21s. Doing decent numbers. But when we put the zcons in holy shit!

We played with the back ported section and bumped up the volume a bit changing the ratio. In testing before the last show we managed a 159.5 and at the show after demos and playing around he was able to put up a 158.7 official score.

I don't have a lot of the build pics since it had the 6th when I met him. Here's a few from the show.

IMAG1550.jpgIMAG1547.jpgIMAG1548.jpgIMAG1545.jpgIMAG1546.jpgIMAG1543.jpgIMAG1549.jpg1014121247.jpg

Being in tx we always strive for something better.....

The 6th order is becoming a 4th order with 4 zcon 18s. Same power for now.

Subs facing down so we can see those sexy asses. I'll have more pics of the rebuild as it progresses.

Expect to see 160+

1017121731.jpg

sweeeet, looks good, very nice score, those look like the crazy screws i use.

cant wait to see this beast for my self.

Damn...........

Nice to see you keeping busy and making the world a better sounding place. My hat's off to you sir, one workin mofo. :D

Thank, I can't take credit for it though.

Also in terms of Spl I wouldnt consider 10k "tons of power"

Wait, are you saying he got louder losing that much cone surface?

Quality over quantity!

Oops

Edited by SteveMead

This this is going to get real nasty with the 4th order.

That's insane. 159's, shit.... How does it sound?

159.5 tuned real high. He was doing 56s @37 Hz before tuning it for Spl.

Getting closer!

1020121212.jpg

thats really nasty

Man thats gonna be wicked. Post some videos when done!

Absolutely! This buddy has extensive knowledge of bandpassed enclosures. He will be hopefully helping me on my next project.

This looks nasty! I cant wait to see finished, ive always been intrigued by bandpass enclosures. My first set up was a dual 12 bandpass box i bought and through some subs in. It was like a 4th order, but the cones face each other in a sealed compartment and the magnets were in separate ported compartments. I got lucky and the subs sounded really good in it.

Well, he did say they enlarged the volume when the 18s were put in.

On a side note, for burping, less cone area is greater than more.

In this example, it's not properly compared but if we had a wall of 4 18s like in my car, i bet i could do just as loud if not louder with just 2 18s.

Interesting though, Steve's friend is able to demo with this vehicle. Unlike many vehicles who get loud on low cone area, this by itself is a task to accomplish.

So, i'd say this build will really give SSA large ad support.

Well, he did say they enlarged the volume when the 18s were put in.

On a side note, for burping, less cone area is greater than more.

In this example, it's not properly compared but if we had a wall of 4 18s like in my car, i bet i could do just as loud if not louder with just 2 18s.

Interesting though, Steve's friend is able to demo with this vehicle. Unlike many vehicles who get loud on low cone area, this by itself is a task to accomplish.

So, i'd say this build will really give SSA large ad support.

Can you elaborate on this?

If that was the case then why don't you use 2 18s?

Personally, I've never been a "burp god" and i find it pointless for my use to spend all kinds of money to build a burp machine that will fail to play music at a level comparable to the burp level on the meter.

99% of us SPL users on this forum and many others in other places for about the last couple years have moved away from burping only IF WE CAN and tend to display music output.

Music > Burp.

Now, those of us who do compete and have to burp for a certain class can play music quite well. These vehicles will typically have decent amount of cone area as required to be a great music demo machine.

The reason why i do not do only 2 18s is because of the music ability. I run lots of power always and need lots of coils to dissipate that heat.

I cannot break down the reason scientifically as to why less cone area is better for burping.

I can tell you more cone area is better for averaging as that's easy to understand. More coils = longer play with efficiency loss from heat.

We see what works in the lanes for years and go with it.

Just like when building a wall, there is the common 6040 or even more common 7030 ratio.

This means the ratio between the baffle to port surface area.

This ratio though is typically only used when measuring sealed on the dash.

Using it for other forms of measuring may not be ideal.

Personally, I've never been a "burp god" and i find it pointless for my use to spend all kinds of money to build a burp machine that will fail to play music at a level comparable to the burp level on the meter.

99% of us SPL users on this forum and many others in other places for about the last couple years have moved away from burping only IF WE CAN and tend to display music output.

Music > Burp.

Now, those of us who do compete and have to burp for a certain class can play music quite well. These vehicles will typically have decent amount of cone area as required to be a great music demo machine.

The reason why i do not do only 2 18s is because of the music ability. I run lots of power always and need lots of coils to dissipate that heat.

I cannot break down the reason scientifically as to why less cone area is better for burping.

I can tell you more cone area is better for averaging as that's easy to understand. More coils = longer play with efficiency loss from heat.

We see what works in the lanes for years and go with it.

Just like when building a wall, there is the common 60\40 or even more common 70\30 ratio.

This means the ratio between the baffle to port surface area.

This ratio though is typically only used when measuring sealed on the dash.

Using it for other forms of measuring may not be ideal.

That's I wondered. Just sounds like speculation to me.