mklett33

Video Build Log - Fi BL - Rockford Fosgate - Focal - KnuKonceptz - Tip

Hey guys, I am officially starting another build. Rather than post only pictures I am going to take you guys along for the ride with video updates! Enjoy!

Phase 1 is making my amplifier rack. Starting with making some insert pieces to hide the amps.

Picking up some more foam tape tonight so I can continue making my templates.

Don't waste your money on foam tape. Go to lowes or Home Depot and get double sided duct tape.

Don't waste your money on foam tape. Go to lowes or Home Depot and get double sided duct tape.

I get foam tape because I also use it to do gapping between my pieces for accounting for the space that vinyl and carpet takes up... you'll see...

DSC_8015.jpg

Got my template transfered to a smaller piece! Now to do some more routering to get the smaller piece converted to a female shape so I can cut out the inside of the larger panel.

I get foam tape because I also use it to do gapping between my pieces for accounting for the space that vinyl and carpet takes up... you'll see...

I doubt you'll be able to show me anything I didn't learn from Mark Fukuda or Brian Schmitt 10 years ago. The foam tape that you showed is no where near the thickness of Vinyl. The high end 3m red double stick is almost exactly the same thickness as vinyl however.

Besides the reasoning to compensate for vinyl when applying bondo to recess that panel, that foam is too thick and allow the template to shift on the material especially with the strait fllutted bit you are using and with small panels like a tv or radio trim ring that's only 1/8 or 1/4 inch wide.

Ahh, I see what you are saying, that is a good point. I haven't really noticed any considerable problems with movement from piece to piece while using the router. I want a spiral bit anyhow, should cut through a lot faster and more smoothly. I will have to pick up some of that double sided duct tape, thanks for the help!

Thats cool that you got to learn from those guys, you had a great opportunity that few have.

Finished making my amp cover template!

Here are some pics:

DSC06739-2.jpg

DSC06740-2.jpg

DSC06757-2.jpg

If you would like to see how I did it watch here:

Working on modeling up my amp rack in SolidWorks. Trying to decide if the amps should be angled to one another, or if they should just be parallel to one another.

Some more updates, started making my frame work for my amp rack.

Mounting pads:

IMAG1981-2.jpg

Mocked up

IMAG1983-2.jpg

Painted with flexstone.

IMAG1984-2.jpg

Heres my templates I will be using. See the video for how to make them...

IMAG1985-2.jpg

Base board:

IMAG1986-2.jpg

In the trunk:

IMAG1987-2.jpg

IMAG1989-2.jpg

With the inserts so you get the idea...

IMAG1988-2.jpg

Alright so I got the amp rack supports complete. This little assembly is strong. And I must say adding the threaded rivets is amazing for mounting the base. To see what I am talking about watch this:

Here's some pics:

DSC_8100.jpg

DSC_8099.jpg

DSC_8096.jpg

Very nice work.

Hey man! lovin how your doin the videos as your explanation along the way. Im sure ill learn some skills i didnt know before :)

BTW: Great brands in the title! All the same stuff i use! :) I saw this topic w/ those brand names and was like "hey, this guy know what to buy" rockwoot.gifhaha! Anyway, Im tuned in!

Very nice work.

Thanks!

Hey man! lovin how your doin the videos as your explanation along the way. Im sure ill learn some skills i didnt know before smile.png

BTW: Great brands in the title! All the same stuff i use! smile.png I saw this topic w/ those brand names and was like "hey, this guy know what to buy" rockwoot.gifhaha! Anyway, Im tuned in!

Haha thanks man, glad you like it so far.

Good stuff man! Like your work.

I like the videos. But you for real need an external mic. It always sounds like you are talking in the bathroom lol.

Good stuff man! Like your work.

Well I decided to go a different route on the templates over the amps. I busted out my Engineering skills and modeled this up on the computer. Check out my "3d amp rack" and let me know what you think.

It;s coming to life! I think its cool how similar to my 3D rendering that it is looking so far! This is just a quick progress update! But I am loving the shape and would love to know what you think!

DSC_8177-2.jpg

Making more progress on the amp rack! Check out the video to see the latest!

Got my pieces rabbited. I took video of the process but want to include it with the fiberglass video. Here are some pics though. Check out the trim cover I made for the top of the amp rack. I am really happy the way the shape turned out!

DSC_8301-2.jpg

DSC_8299-2.jpg

DSC_8296-2.jpg

DSC_8295-2.jpg

DSC_8297-2.jpg

DSC_8302-2.jpg

DSC_8303-2.jpg

Thought this was pretty cool too:

DSC_8285.jpg

Before you add your fleece if you run a 1/4" rabbet around your panels it'll make for a stronger bond and it'll allow you to keep the glass off of the top of your window area. That way you don't ruin the nice routing and it'll make it quicker to finish by minimizing filler.

Never mind saw the rabbet in above pics. Guess you just haven't trimmed the fleece in the pics yet.

By the way if you haven't gotten to the glass yet, use one solid piece instead of tearing your matt into pieces. It'll make it stronger and smoother. If your top layer is 1/2 ounce Matt topped with surface veil you should only need less than 1/2 cup of body filler to get that panel ready to wrap or paint.

Edited by Quentin Jarrell