Sign in to follow this  
1two3

opinions on sub and port firing direction

willl be running a rockford fosgate t1500 on a 15" xcon

listening to all sorts of music

sq over spl but i still wanna move a lil bit of hair if it makes a difference

does it make a big difference if the sub is up port back vs both up or both back?

its going in a 98 Honda CRV....simular to the picture bellow, id post mine but im having a hard time figuring it out.

2012-Honda-CR-V-Trunk.jpg

Personally I say sub and port back. Seems like you have a tall roof.

make an enclosure thats equal en height and depth and test what works for you .

There are a lot of variables that will make it hard to determine. You are going to have to play with placement to see what you like best.

You can build a test box and try different combinations of port/driver and vehicle placement. You can use an external port to change tuning as well. Build it on the bigger side and use blocks to reduce airspace.

Or as bassmaster said you can build a box that you can move around to see what you like best. You wont be able to change port/sub orientation though.

It's a lot of trial and error. If you are like me and like to build boxes you can try a bunch of different options to see what you like the best.

Edited by dbsupra

If your box will be rather close to your hatch, I would do sub up port up.

If your box will have at least 6 inches or so (depending on your port area) of space between it and your hatch, I would do sub up port back.

Generally in SUVs sub up port back is considered standard, but I would not want the hatch to mess with the port tuning by being too close. However, some people would disagree with me and say that the closer the port to the hatch the better because it will have more "loading". To me, that just means that your hatch will rattle like crazy because it is blocking the port, giving the illusion of being louder. Just my two cents.

Edited by mobileaudiophiles