ricksi30

Great deal on a 4 channel

I don't know, everyone always seems to want to run their component set "active". I don't understand it completely. To me it means running the woofer and tweeter of their own separate amp channel. What am I missing?

On a related note, WTF....I could have stopped by Laurel on the way home from work and picked this thing up.

kk3NL.jpg

Edited by Dave88LX

I don't know, everyone always seems to want to run their component set "active". I don't understand it completely. To me it means running the woofer and tweeter of their own separate amp channel. What am I missing?

On a related note, WTF....I could have stopped by Laurel on the way home from work and picked this thing up.

kk3NL.jpg

I waited on a book and it was sitting in south river, nj... 5 minutes from my house....

With a passive component set (such as your Focal) the passive crossover provides the function of "directing" the frequencies to the appropriate speaker. When running active, you eliminate this passive crossover and run one speaker per channel. But you still need some way to "direct" the frequencies to the appropriate speaker, so you have to do this "actively" with a preamp level crossover that comes either before the amplifier or with the crossover built into the amplifier.

Then there's bi-amping, which is running one speaker per channel but still using the passive crossover instead of an "active" crossover. To do this you need a bi-amp capable passive crossover, which not many of them are anymore.

Active is the new internet boner. Most people doing it don't understand or aren't truly benefiting from it, but their e-friends told them it was better so they went for it. It's sort of like the audio version of weed.....everybody's doing it, so it must be cool and their friends peer pressure them into it, so they give it a try too.

Perfect answer, thank you! I've had more than a few people tell me that "Those Focals will sound SIKKKKKK if you run 'em active bro!" I'm thinking I probably won't even hear the difference. If I had the amp capability, and would benefit, then I'd consider it; but if not, which it sounds like not, then no sense in doing the extra work.

Perfect answer, thank you! I've had more than a few people tell me that "Those Focals will sound SIKKKKKK if you run 'em active bro!" I'm thinking I probably won't even hear the difference. If I had the amp capability, and would benefit, then I'd consider it; but if not, which it sounds like not, then no sense in doing the extra work.

Also...why pay for the passive x/over in the component set and not use it? I mean if you already have it then yeah but...

I ran a set of pg rsd active for a short time. The reason for was simply because i already had the set and i wanted to learn how to do active before jumping on some better speakers. So there are some reasons for it. But i would never suggest that you should buy a comp set while planning to run active.

With a passive component set (such as your Focal) the passive crossover provides the function of "directing" the frequencies to the appropriate speaker. When running active, you eliminate this passive crossover and run one speaker per channel. But you still need some way to "direct" the frequencies to the appropriate speaker, so you have to do this "actively" with a preamp level crossover that comes either before the amplifier or with the crossover built into the amplifier.

Then there's bi-amping, which is running one speaker per channel but still using the passive crossover instead of an "active" crossover. To do this you need a bi-amp capable passive crossover, which not many of them are anymore.

Active is the new internet boner. Most people doing it don't understand or aren't truly benefiting from it, but their e-friends told them it was better so they went for it. It's sort of like the audio version of weed.....everybody's doing it, so it must be cool and their friends peer pressure them into it, so they give it a try too.

the jbl ms8 with its autotune really caught on with these people. fucking incredible

I ran a set of pg rsd active for a short time. The reason for was simply because i already had the set and i wanted to learn how to do active before jumping on some better speakers. So there are some reasons for it. But i would never suggest that you should buy a comp set while planning to run active.

Well yeah that I understand...but like you said paying Focal $$$ and then not using the x/o is blasphemy to me lol. You could've just paid for superior drivers from the get go.