Dave88LX

Planning/parts gathering for my Ram Mega Cab build.

Hey all,

New here, but not to forums. Found this site through CarAudio/DIYMA or something. I have limited knowledge of car audio stuff, I haven't installed or had anything nice to listen to for 10 years now.

Truck is an '07 Ram Mega Cab, so I have ample space behind the rear seats.

So far I have:

Pioneer AVIC-Z120BT

Focal 165 V30

JBL GTO 1004 (on the way, $100 recent Best Buy sale)

Have my wiring (AudioTechnix 1/0 OFC), need terminals/distro blocks/etc.

AudioTechnix 80mil sound deadener

Currently I'm reading about and researching subs/amps, and whether I want Luxury Liner Pro, or SDS CCF + MLV for the last pieces of the puzzle.

I read rules 14-18, so I will not use SPL/SQ/"""SQL"""/daily to describe my use! I will just call it a non-competition truck that I want to sound great, and get the best value for my money. I'm not aiming to get loud at a certain frequency, nor am I looking to completely accurately reproduce the audio as it was recorded. Just clear and hard hitting.

I've spoken with pro-rabbit (Dustin/DC Creations) a bit about doing my enclosure. When I get out there and get exact measurements, we should be able to get a better idea of exactly what direction we can go in. Initial measurements give me about 4.5 ft^3 to play with.

I realize this isn't a ton of info, but I want to do some more reading first before I ask stupid questions. wink.png

P1150653.jpg

Edited by Dave88LX

Welcome

Nice looking truck.

Nice truck!

I highly recommend Don at SDS. Very knowledgeable and a pleasure to deal with. Not to mention his product is top notch.

Not sure what your budget is but from the preliminary measurements it sounds like a single 15" xcon would be up your alley. Very clean sounding and quite loud even in a sealed enclosure. Something like a 1k amp would mate up nice.

Also when shopping around dont make the mistake of thinking you have to put rms power to a sub to perform correctly!

Welcome to the forums

I have to say....

I love that color!!!!!

Bad ass truck man!

Very nice truck! Should be able to fit a nice enclosure back there. Look forward to what you do with it. My suggestion is a higher powered sub and nice amp. Something that will sound nice at low volume with the ability to get loud as hell if you want to jam on the interstate or back road.

A Zcon 15 and a Crescendo BC2000 would do that nicely. :)

I highly recommend Don at SDS. Very knowledgeable and a pleasure to deal with. Not to mention his product is top notch.

Yes! I see he used to review product, but now has his own. I'm reading up on a lot of his posts in the Sound Deadener forum tonight.
Not sure what your budget is but from the preliminary measurements it sounds like a single 15" xcon would be up your alley. Very clean sounding and quite loud even in a sealed enclosure. Something like a 1k amp would mate up nice.
Well, you know how budgets go. I budgeted $4K to redo my Firebird when I spun a rod bearing. I'm at $12K and counting. My initial thoughts for the sub was going to be a pair of ~$200-$250 subs (each), +/- $200 for the box, and ~$300 for a good deal on a used quality monoblock around 1kW. This may change as I learn more.

XCON wasn't on my inital list of subs I was looking at (GCON, SA-12, DC3), but seeing that I may only be able to use one instead of two, it frees up some money, and may be a better choice. Have to see how the numbers work out I guess after I get Dustin final measurements.

You know, I haven't looked at car audio stuff in close to 10 years. I have it in my head that to get "tight, accurate bass, you need to run 10s sealed" because "12s aren't as tight", and "ported boxes are just way too boomy", and "15s have no accuracy and are sloppy". There may have been some truth to this 10-15 years ago, I don't know, maybe it's all hearsay. I know it's not the case today at least. I personally haven't heard 15s, so I'll need to hear some and at least verify for myself how they sound.

Also when shopping around dont make the mistake of thinking you have to put rms power to a sub to perform correctly!
I did some reading/asking today, and learned that upping your wattage from 500-600w to 1000-1200w isn't as large of an increase as one would expect, so not to get hung up on the amount of watts so much.

Very nice truck! Should be able to fit a nice enclosure back there. Look forward to what you do with it. My suggestion is a higher powered sub and nice amp. Something that will sound nice at low volume with the ability to get loud as hell if you want to jam on the interstate or back road.

A Zcon 15 and a Crescendo BC2000 would do that nicely. smile.png

DAMN. The description of what I want it to sound like is dead on (as I said, I'm not looking to compete in anything, just sound good, and hit hard when I want it to). The thought of running a massive 15" with over 2kW never crossed my mind though.

Oh, let me ask this too...any Maryland members around here? I'd like to get my ears on some of this stuff.

Not to take anything away from your list, those are all nice subs. But I'd rather have higher end single sub for equal or less money than 2 smaller lower level subs.

Also, be careful when listening to other people's equipment. You can take a badass sub and a poor designed enclosure and it will sound like garbage. I would hate for you to disregard a brand/size based on this.

That's a good point too that had crossed my mind! If I'm only going to do one, that leaves a little money on the table to put into a better single.

Good advice, thanks.

My buddy just got a FI BL 15 that we put in a 4ft^3 box after displacement, tuned it to ~30hz. I think the box is just under 6ft gross. Pushing it with a MB Quart Onx 1600 watt amp.

In his explorer, it gets louder than anything we have ever messed with (Type R 12's were the "best" before this), and sounds good to both of us. It hits the lows very well, probably a bit peaky there. If the box was a bit smaller I think it wouldn't be as peaky down low, but he likes it this way. A bit of eq'ing did help.

I only had those two pennies Dave, hope they help :D

I was digging for your email and I can not find it right now. It was on my list to get you a response tonight. Could you PM me your email addy so I can you some info.

BTW I still like the color.

I was digging for your email and I can not find it right now. It was on my list to get you a response tonight. Could you PM me your email addy so I can you some info.

BTW I still like the color.

Sent! And thank you!

My buddy just got a FI BL 15 that we put in a 4ft^3 box after displacement, tuned it to ~30hz. I think the box is just under 6ft gross. Pushing it with a MB Quart Onx 1600 watt amp.

In his explorer, it gets louder than anything we have ever messed with (Type R 12's were the "best" before this), and sounds good to both of us. It hits the lows very well, probably a bit peaky there. If the box was a bit smaller I think it wouldn't be as peaky down low, but he likes it this way. A bit of eq'ing did help.

I only had those two pennies Dave, hope they help biggrin.png

Haha, thanks for the pennies! I haven't heard a 15 in at least 12 years, no lie! I'm sure the cheap 15s I heard then don't compare to the 15s of today. I really need to listen to some local!

And, in all honesty, I haven't heard anything that couldn't be bought at Sears or Best Buy. :(

Edited by Dave88LX

Well this 15 in a ported box did not disappoint. My buddy was a bit worried about the wives tails of 15's not being "tight" or just sounding bad, plus ported boxes only being for bass music. But he loves how it sounds. More upper end extension could be had, but I guess it depends on what you want. If your mids can play fairly low and have good midbass response in your vehicle, then a setup like my buddy has is awesome in my non-expert opinion ;) I would guess your Focals on that JBL will do well there.

Mean looking truck.

Thanks Aaron!

Bob, thanks for your "non-expert input!" I do want to hear a "new" 15 just to quell any misconceptions I may have.

Nice Looking truck. I like the Choice on the V30 Focals.

I know I'm going to get shit on for this, but I've always wanted to hear JL stealthbox for the Mega Cab Rams. (2) 10w6v2 in JLs enclosure. Those things sound mint 9 times out of 10

I too wanted to hear one. Nobody has one local. They MSRP at about $1200, but can be had for $10xx. Not a gamble I'm willing to take. :(

Very nice truck !! Good luck with the build. Hope it turns out like you want it :)

I'm MD. :)

I'm in Maryland too!