sexterra

Need advice on purchasing used 2005 RE XXX 15

Sorry for a long explanation (shorter one below long one), but this is potentially a great find for me, and I could really use some advice...

long version:

Today while perusing the world of Craigslist, hoping to stumbleupon a rare gem, I found a used 2005 RE XXX 15" in what looks to be a pretty decent box.

After communication with the seller, and getting more pictures, I notice that there is some sort of blemish on the surround. Turns out it is something he referred to as "goop" which he put on the surround after it was "rubbed by his dogs bone". At first i was skeptical of the story but i could see the bone in one of the CL pics and the sub is down firing. So its believable.

Short Version:

Surround on 2005 RE XXX 15 has been repaired from rubs, but not tears with "goop".

Questions:

Is this worth buying? I will be going tomorrow to look at it and hear it. What should i look for to tell if the surround is more damaged than I am told? And if the surround is damaged would it be worth buying it for the basket and motor and reconing?

Pics:

Ignore granite, this is the box (tuned to 30Hz) which has blue leds (dont care about) and the dog bone which i guess caused the damage.

34xov0p.jpg

Rough spots on surround from "goop"

kajgx.jpg

I don't know what the driver is worth, and I don't know how much he's asking, so I don't know if it's a good deal.

If it was only rubbed then the goop is more then likely fine. Certainly aren't going to hear any weird anomalies from it. smile.png

As to whether the box is decent, once again no specs, no idea. The one thing I do notice is the depth between the driver and ground seems pretty slim.

Edited by stefanhinote

Price?

Id be getting the box and sub for 350 (maybe less).

If it was only rubbed then the goop is more then likely fine. Certainly aren't going to hear any weird anomalies from it. smile.png

As to whether the box is decent, once again no specs, no idea. The one thing I do notice is the depth between the driver and ground seems pretty slim.

Im not entirely sure of the box dimensions, or what its built out of, havent heard back from him on that. Ill probably call him tomorrow and discuss that. Im bringing a tape measure when I go to check it out so ill know for sure.

I thought the same thing, but I'm not worried about it, i can just flip the box. Or theres like a 4 inch well in the back of my Xterra that my sub sits over any ways so itll have plenty of room to flex.

Price?

Id be getting the box and sub for 350 (maybe less).

I'd pass.

thats a decent price. but the sub itself is old. id pass and buy something new. sp4?

pass for that price. unless you need/ want the box for a use.

Guess ill pass, thought it was worth some opinions on. thanks for the feedback everyone.

thats a decent price. but the sub itself is old. id pass and buy something new. sp4?

I was worried about the age as well.

Id love an SP4, but its a little outside my price range and intended use, I'm budgeting about $350 give or take for a 15" or 18" for my new setup so i figured if I could score an XXX with a box for that I'd be ahead.

So for my $350, ive been looking at the Icon 18", Death row 15", Fi bl 18" or bl 15" + options. Any recommendations or others I should consider around there? Im not going for spl competitions, just something that can get low and loud while retaining good musical quality.

Your list looks good. This is also a great deal

Guess ill pass, thought it was worth some opinions on. thanks for the feedback everyone.

I was worried about the age as well.

Id love an SP4, but its a little outside my price range and intended use, I'm budgeting about $350 give or take for a 15" or 18" for my new setup so i figured if I could score an XXX with a box for that I'd be ahead.

So for my $350, ive been looking at the Icon 18", Death row 15", Fi bl 18" or bl 15" + options. Any recommendations or others I should consider around there? Im not going for spl competitions, just something that can get low and loud while retaining good musical quality.

My 2 icon 15"s get very low and loud but I'm amazed at the crispness of the sound. Sound amazing playing some slowed sub 30hz music then switch to a fast rock or metal song and you'd think I had two sealed tens only the icons have a lot more punch. I haven't personally owned the others and have heard good things about all those subs but damn I love my Icons. :) plus the logo and inverted dust cap is so sexy!

Update: Box wont fit in my car (too wide). Talked him down to $200 on the sub so I'm still going to take a look. Hopefully meters out and isnt frozen!

What are you going to power it with? I'd rather buy a GCON for $200 than a sub that's 7 years old unless you know you'd be able to get a recone.

What are you going to power it with? I'd rather buy a GCON for $200 than a sub that's 7 years old unless you know you'd be able to get a recone.

Massive audio N4, 2k watts at 1ohm since the XXX is 2 ohm DVC. I can get a recone, Fi makes them and they're like $100 so I'd have a badass 15" and still be under budget. So I'd probably order it and just take it somewhere local rather than shipping a 55+ pound sub to Vegas.

If I buy a new sub, ill be get an Icon 15 or 18.

Massive audio N4, 2k watts at 1ohm since the XXX is 2 ohm DVC. I can get a recone, Fi makes them and they're like $100 so I'd have a badass 15" and still be under budget. So I'd probably order it and just take it somewhere local rather than shipping a 55+ pound sub to Vegas.

If I buy a new sub, ill be get an Icon 15 or 18.

The Speaker Exchange has been reconing for decades, my first system was 2 12" Cerwin Vegas that slammed like hell and only cost me $100. They moved locations, check out their website. Or if you're up to it there are lots of good threads on this forum how to do it.

its kinda rough looking , imho i'd say no

rather take the $200 or more & buy a bnib sub from any of the brands sold here on ssa

It's worth a few hundred dollars, the motor is where all the money is, they will go for $200-$250. That is a fantastic woofer, it is great for SQ oriented setups, but it can get very loud.

I'd take that XXX over anything said in this thread. 200 for box and sub is great.

It's worth a few hundred dollars, the motor is where all the money is, they will go for $200-$250. That is a fantastic woofer, it is great for SQ oriented setups, but it can get very loud.

This and

BUY IT FOR $200!!!

It is an XBL^2 motor, there is a LOT of steel in it.

its kinda rough looking , imho i'd say no

rather take the $200 or more & buy a bnib sub from any of the brands sold here on ssa

Yeah, im going to take a look at it. He says they were just rubbed by a dog bone and they didnt actually tear. so i guess ill just check both sides of the surround to see if it was torn or not.

Any idea about the possibility of motor problems?

Play it, if there aren't rubbing sounds, it should be okay. Remember, a redone will fix the surround problem. A recone is $95 from Fi.

Play it, if there aren't rubbing sounds, it should be okay. Remember, a redone will fix the surround problem. A recone is $95 from Fi.

Yeah, thats the plan. It will definitely get a thorough checkout.

If there are rubbing sounds, what does that mean? Motor problem? or would a recone fix that too?

i would pass.

Just talked to the guy on the phone, hes the original owner and only used it for home audio with an 85 watt amp so its never been in a car or pushed. Feeling pretty good about that for $200 (or $300 if it needs a recone).

and the box is triple baffle with 3/4" Mdf, 45" by 18" by 19.5" port tuned to 30 Hz. Ill have to make a subfloor to clear it over my wheel wells, but for $100, I dont think i can beat it. The MDF alone would cost that.

For 200 I would grab it and recone it for sure. 350 no 200 yes.