psychomantis

Building a center console

So here goes. Well I decided one day to tear out the center console in my truck with the intention of putting a new one in there.. Well 3 years later.. still no center console. So thats where it brings me up to pretty much till last weekend. Last week end I got bored and decided to start putting it together again I dug out the mounting brackets and started brain storming that it would be better to build one rather than buy one so i could build it to my specs and add a few things. So to give you an idea what kinda vehicle its going in is a 2002 F250 with the diesel engine. So Im sure as long as I dont go crazy my electrical system will be fine. The only thing I have done to my truck currently is a Sony Deck. I had a sub and amp that i bought from walmart years ago but it got moved to my wife's car and now just sits in storage. so yeah.. moving on I wanna put a sub and maybe two in the center console. If you've never been in a truck that size I have an amazing amount of space to build this console. So I was thinking maybe a single or two 10 in subs. but that's just to say.. I wanna put that crunch in your lunch kinda bass but don't need it over killed.. I'm not going to be going to competitions or anything like.. I hope that makes since. So To give you an Idea of what I have been looking at Ive been searching and reading About SSAs Gcon.. also I dont know what kinda amp to push these things.. I have a friend that will sell me a JL 500.1v? for around 200 if that is a good deal. Also I am working on a budget so if you guys have any better suggestions I will research and look into them all. If there are any other questions that you may wanna know please ask.. Again thanks for all the info that you may be able to provide.. So I went out and took some measurements it will be 17.5" wide the front height will be 17.5" and around 48" long and around 24" hight in the rear..I listen to alot of music I have a very eclectic music style but mainly stick with metal and electronic..

The 500/1 is a solid amp. If you can get it for a reasonable price (I honestly don't know what they go for used; look around on ebay/craigslist to compare) then it's a good choice.

With as much room as you have there are a lot of options. Were you planning on going ported or sealed for the enclosure?

i was looking into doing this at a time, but i didnt have near the room you do, i was trying to keep the stock look of the console and have it function as a seat still. but i did find some useful threads over at fiberglassforums and diyma. (im not sure of linking rules here otherwise id search and find them again) Im very interested in what you get done here!

Well im not sure of weither i should go ported sealed vented.. I dunno what the differences are.. Ive been dtinking so sorry about the punckutaions.. But as I got linkid last nighty i have arounhnd 6.33 cubes.. so if i was still looking aty the gcon id have to have more than one... or creat a smaller boxx withing the cckonsolde..so what other ideaws do i havea?>

6 cubes is a lot of space. With that much room I'd go ported. Now you have some choices to make. Which direction will the subs fire? Where will you put your port? Do you want any storage, cupholders, etc..? They will take up some space as well. With that much room, you might consider 3 or 4 DCON 10's instead of 2 GCON's. Maybe fire the subs down and the port forward or back(I don't have any experience with truck boxes).

Sorry for leaving but now that im back.. lets get this up and going again..  I am not sure.. I wanna do down or rear firing to give it that stock look.. and yeah its gonna have storage and the cup holders.. so .. what else? also my deck is a pioneer. Ill go find the model number and all so we can look from that aspect too.

Does your pioneer allow you to hook up an ipod or iphone? Fiberglass a dock in that bad boy!

Your not far from me, is this in the front or rear. I have a rear console I might sell you. I am in Nashville. It was in my F250 and I designed and built it. It gets down and is for one 15.

Is this a 4 door or single cab

Its a  4 door. Also I am looking into replacing all the door speakers.. just over time.Also It it for inbetween the front seats and goes to the rear.

Edited by psychomantis

This is mine that I still have

IMG_4367.jpg

console1.jpg

console.jpg

IMG_4381.jpg

Just for some ideas

I like that Idea.. Ill have to show you some of the drawings I have made..I thought about the 15 but im looking at the 10s a little more.  for the pound..

I like that Idea.. Ill have to show you some of the drawings I have made..I thought about the 15 but im looking at the 10s a little more.  for the pound..

That 15 was doing 140's at 29hz btw with only 1500 watts and a FI Q. If doing multiples with a port firing forward at bottom would work.

Wow thats alot.. haha.. Im just looking to add some thump.. but not that much haha.. So Im looking at my deck.. I didnt do alot of research into before I bought it years ago.. http://www.docs.sony.com/release/specs/CDXGT55UIW_mksp.pdf here it is.. So what do you guys thing? Also I had a really cheap sub and amp set up and it could rock it.. which brings be up to my questions.. Im just looking to upgrade my system and build this "stealth" looking center console that has a better function for me.  would it be a better Idea since Im not going for a comp. set up  that I look torward these multi channel set ups?

Also Swift.. Im looking for a donor truck that has the captains in the rear instead of the bench.. If I find it.. I may try for that box of yours..

So back to the top. I've decided to go with a ported enclosure. Now the hard part. I need help coming up with the idea for the enclosure. my issue is how hard is it to work with fiberglass? My floor is not flat. is has a bunch of curves in it.. so how could i go about it? also i wanna just do a single 15.