mobileaudio25

1 amp on each sub in 1 box

Is it bad on the subwoofers if I'm running one amp on each sub? The subs are in the same ported box and i know to set the gains on the amp relatively close to one another. Is this a bad idea?

why not strap the amps and then wire both subs togther to the amps? that way you wont have to gain match and just use one amp's gain.

id use a DMM or something because you wannt them as close as possible....is it the same amp? if not i wouldnt even think about it...can you strap ur amps??

Absolutely nothing wrong with it. Just use a DMM to match the gains and crossovers on the amps

Yeah, I wouldn't even try to run a set of speakers on 2 different amps... What's a DMM an how do I dial it in? Do I have to run crossovers or will I be ok with the functions on the amp? Thanks for the input everyone . I'm looking int the hifonics line of amps. Does anyone know if their smaller sized brz 1500w rms amps are link able?

Absolutely nothing wrong with it. Just use a DMM to match the gains and crossovers on the amps

How would you use a DMM to set crossovers? And one the subject of DMM gain setting, is it best to do it with or without the subs hooked up? I've heard conflicting opinions there.

A crossover is nothing more than a voltage limiter. So you'd use the AC voltage setting to find where the crossover is at. You shouldn't use the markings on amps for crossover settings anyway. Pots can be off upwards of 20%. Set amp with sub unhooked, the sub's capatance will alter voltage seen on the meter.

How would you use a DMM to set crossovers? And one the subject of DMM gain setting, is it best to do it with or without the subs hooked up? I've heard conflicting opinions there.

Pretty simple. Set the crossover on one amp where you want it. Use a test tone of some frequency above the crossover point and measure the voltage on amp 1, then move over to amp 2 and adjust the crossover until you measure the same voltage with that test tone.

And as was pointed out measure with subs unhooked.

Gotcha that makes sense, just wasn't sure if it got more technical than that.

I set my gains the other day with subs hooked up (with what I thought was conservative AC V). I'll go back tomorrow and do it unhooked and note the difference. Haven't heard any audible distortion, but I have so many rattles in back I'm afraid I wouldn't hear distortion anyway. Time to deaden I guess.

Even if the gains/crossover settings are a little off, it WILL NOT hurt anything. . .

Even if the gains/crossover settings are a little off, it WILL NOT hurt anything. . .

Indeed, you are very correct. Small differences wouldn't be audible at all. If they are WAY off it still won't hurt anything, you just wouldn't be extracting full performance.