Stihlman9

New 3-way Component set

Ok, currently i have a set of Focal 165 3-way components in my yukon and i think they sound great! I know some say that they are harsh, and at first i agree, but after a little eq'ing i got them sounding great imho. I am doing an install for a friend in his Voltswagon gti (nice car:)) and am trying to choose a good (under $350) 3-way component set for him. I am considering the precision power PC.3.65. I will buy an amp according to the speakers i choose. I would recommend my focal set but they might be a little "harsh" in his small car. Those aluminum tweeters in the focals are sharp haha! Anyway, i would just like ya'lls opinion on good 3-way components. they need to have active crossovers but other than that and price there arn't any restrictions.

Thanks for all info!

Ok, currently i have a set of Focal 165 3-way components in my yukon and i think they sound great! I know some say that they are harsh, and at first i agree, but after a little eq'ing i got them sounding great imho. I am doing an install for a friend in his Voltswagon gti (nice car:)) and am trying to choose a good (under $350) 3-way component set for him. I am considering the precision power PC.3.65. I will buy an amp according to the speakers i choose. I would recommend my focal set but they might be a little "harsh" in his small car. Those aluminum tweeters in the focals are sharp haha! Anyway, i would just like ya'lls opinion on good 3-way components. they need to have active crossovers but other than that and price there arn't any restrictions.

Thanks for all info!

You mean passive?

Anyway, i would just like ya'lls opinion on good 3-way components. they need to have active crossovers but other than that and price there arn't any restrictions.

If you are using active crossovers it is absolutely idiotic to buy a passive 3 way set.

If you are going to buy a 3 way set it is also absolutely backwards to buy a passive.

Assuming this is active, where are the mounting locations, what is the budget, and what does he have for an active processor?

SORRY! i completely meant passive crossovers. Guess i should proofread better :)

With that budget I wouldn't bother with a 3-way. Money is better spent on a 2-way system at that price point.

Hmmm... i was afraid you'd say that. I have heard that verdict before but thought my situation was a little different - guess not haha! Well thanks for your help anyway! But man, those copper accents on the pc3.65's are sexy! :)