Justinc443

Another Q or Bl post......I know

I know there have been a lot of these but I just wanted to see what you guys thought. I was deciding between the q or bl for the trunk of my Camry and the biggest box I could build was 3.04 cubic feet tuned to 33hz with 9.3in per foot of port area(6in precision port). I went with a Q because I read they worked well in smaller enclosures. I do want to get loud but I figured the Q would do that better just because of the limited space and I figured the BLs had to really breathe. And when I say loud i don't mean like competitions or anything just at the rated 1500rms. Do you guys think I made the right choice for that enclosure?

Edited by Justinc443

I know there have been a lot of these but I just wanted to see what you guys thought.

Answer is the same 99.999999999% of the time and it's never the Q.

3.04 cubic feet tuned to 33hz with 9.3in per foot of port area(6in precision port).

Port sizes should NEVER be referenced to box size. That is not at all how to choose a port size. The ONLY parameter that matters is air velocity.

I figured the Q would do that better just because of the limited space and I figured the BLs had to really breathe.

Completely wrong assumption. The BL will do better in your space for your goals, by a lot.

I know there have been a lot of these but I just wanted to see what you guys thought.

3.04 cubic feet tuned to 33hz with 9.3in per foot of port area(6in precision port).

Port sizes should NEVER be referenced to box size. That is not at all how to choose a port size. The ONLY parameter that matters is air velocity.

I figured the Q would do that better just because of the limited space and I figured the BLs had to really breathe.

Completely wrong assumption. The BL will do better in your space for your goals, by a lot.

I also forgot to mention another big reason I picked the Q is because my last setup really lacked the low notes. Like no low notes at all. And everywhere I read from people who had the Q and the BL, some even at the same time so they were able to test both, said the Q did this much better. They also said the audible loudness was no different what so ever except for the Q could really get those low notes, but they could see different numbers on the term lab. So I'm not so sure that your right that I made the wrong decision. Also why should port size never be referenced to box size when you have to have more port area the bigger the box hence the general rule of what some say 12in to 16in per foot for slot port and 9in to 13in for aero ports. Also the vent Mach was better with the Q for my enclosure. But just a question have you ever listened to both the Q and bl in the same enclosure? (Also with the same power to each)

Edited by Justinc443

I also forgot to mention another big reason I picked the Q is because my last setup really lacked the low notes. Like no low notes at all. And everywhere I read from people who had the Q and the BL, some even at the same time so they were able to test both, said the Q did this much better. They also said the audible loudness was no different what so ever except for the Q could really get those low notes, but they could see different numbers on the term lab. So I'm not so sure that your right that I made the wrong decision. Also why should port size never be referenced to box size when you have to have more port area the bigger the box hence the general rule of what some say 12in to 16in per foot for slot port and 9in to 13in for aero ports. Also the vent Mach was better with the Q for my enclosure. But just a question have you ever listened to both the Q and bl in the same enclosure? (Also with the same power to each)

If you already knew the answer to your question, why did you ask?

If you already knew the answer to your question, why did you ask?

Is there anything wrong with hearing more opinions? I figured maybe someone might have had a different experience. Anything wrong with that?

The vent Mach would not be "better" with the q, especially with small port area. The Q has more Xmax requiring more port area that a BL would, "if" you are concerned with vent Mach. Also you have it backwards, the Q would do better in a larger enclosure tuned lower.

My guess is that it won't sound near how you think with your enclosure.

I prefer a Q over the BL, but for you I believe you have made the wrong choice.

I will assume you mean a 15in sub.

The vent Mach would not be "better" with the q, especially with small port area. The Q has more Xmax requiring more port area that a BL would, "if" you are concerned with vent Mach. Also you have it backwards, the Q would do better in a larger enclosure tuned lower.

My guess is that it won't sound near how you think with your enclosure.

I prefer a Q over the BL, but for you I believe you have made the wrong choice.

I will assume you mean a 15in sub.

It was for a 15 sorry about that. And when I said better I should have clarified and said lower or less port noise. Also thanks for your input with some facts behind it. That's what I was looking for.

Edited by Justinc443

When did you order it?

I also forgot to mention another big reason I picked the Q is because my last setup really lacked the low notes. Like no low notes at all.

Wasn't the drivers problem.

And everywhere I read from people who had the Q and the BL, some even at the same time so they were able to test both, said the Q did this much better.

Most people never compare apples to apples. I've never seen that comparison although I know where that would be the case, but not in your installation.

hence the general rule of what some say 12in to 16in per foot for slot port and 9in to 13in for aero ports. Also the vent Mach was better with the Q for my enclosure. But just a question have you ever listened to both the Q and bl in the same enclosure? (Also with the same power to each)

General rule doesn't exist. Some claim some rule of thumb, but it is always wrong.

I think you modeled them wrong if you saw lower machs...

I also forgot to mention another big reason I picked the Q is because my last setup really lacked the low notes. Like no low notes at all.

Wasn't the drivers problem.

And everywhere I read from people who had the Q and the BL, some even at the same time so they were able to test both, said the Q did this much better.

Most people never compare apples to apples. I've never seen that comparison although I know where that would be the case, but not in your installation.

hence the general rule of what some say 12in to 16in per foot for slot port and 9in to 13in for aero ports. Also the vent Mach was better with the Q for my enclosure. But just a question have you ever listened to both the Q and bl in the same enclosure? (Also with the same power to each)

General rule doesn't exist. Some claim some rule of thumb, but it is always wrong.

I think you modeled them wrong if you saw lower machs...

I'm pretty sure the lower machs were correct but I'm not 100% but anyways my last set up was two 12in cvrs in a 3.5 cubic foot box tuned to 37hz only getting 500 watts between the two of them. Lol. So I'm sure this setup will sound better then those even though at first it will only be getting around 800 watts until I get some money for a crescendo bc2k

I would have chosen the BL.

Every one of these posts are answered with a BL. Why no love for the Q?

Most of the answers are "if you have to ask get the BL." Why? Do you think the Q was a poor design? Not reliable? Only intended for special installs?

I know the xcon is not the same driver and I'm not implying that but aren't they designed with a similar premise? I don't see any threads saying if you have to ask get a zcon.

The Q doesn't focus on getting just pure loud like other subs do and including the BL.

Sure these subs will sound decent linearily but the Q's focus is primarily that vs the BL's focus is primarily getting loud.

There may be a light audible difference between the two, i do not know. They do require slight box design changes between each other. IF you did a sub swap between the two, their would be a difference in output. They need their own design.

OP- your last setup was tuned pretty high. Nothing wrong with it but the Q would prefer a MUCH lower tune. IF you liked the overall playable range of the CVRs, then the BL would have been the preferred choice.

The Q doesn't focus on getting just pure loud like other subs do and including the BL.

Sure these subs will sound decent linearily but the Q's focus is primarily that vs the BL's focus is primarily getting loud.

There may be a light audible difference between the two, i do not know. They do require slight box design changes between each other. IF you did a sub swap between the two, their would be a difference in output. They need their own design.

OP- your last setup was tuned pretty high. Nothing wrong with it but the Q would prefer a MUCH lower tune. IF you liked the overall playable range of the CVRs, then the BL would have been the preferred choice.

The cvrs were tuned that high because that what the kicker app or whatever I looked at said to tune too. The box for the Q is tuned down to 32.7. That's why I got the Q is because I really didn't like the playable range of the cvrs. I really like the lower smoothe bass and that's why I went with Q. Not only that I'm sure with a 1500rms rating it can get pretty loud. Plus I didn't like the peakiness of the cvrs. There was only a few notes I could hit loud so I wanted to try and get that flatter response over more notes and not just hit one higher note extremely hard. Thanks for your input

Most of the answers are "if you have to ask get the BL." Why? Do you think the Q was a poor design? Not reliable? Only intended for special installs?

I know the xcon is not the same driver and I'm not implying that but aren't they designed with a similar premise? I don't see any threads saying if you have to ask get a zcon.

I was wondering the same thing. I personally just don't think enough people have given them a shot as a daily sub.

I was wondering the same thing. I personally just don't think enough people have given them a shot as a daily sub.

Because 99% of people when they say "loud SQ" they really are leaning more towards the BL over the Q.

"loud SQ" is an oxymoron; the main focus of SQ is to have the music reproduced as closely to the recording its self. IMO the best term would be a daily driver sub that can get decently loud.

Not saying you won't be satisfied, but from your description it would appear that you would be better suited for the BL -- not the Q.

Edited by Julian

I have a 15" pre-09 Fi Q and I have nothing but outstanding reviews for it. first I had it in a sealed box built to specs on a mmats d300hc and the sound quality and loudness was outstanding. Recently I put it in a box built for an Re SX about 3 cubes 34.5hz tuning, and this subwoofers performance just amazes me. It is very loud in the trunk of my grand prix with very good sound quality and ability to express the lows. Keep in mind this is the older motor structure only rated at about 1000 rms but with a new recone in it, I've been putting over 1500 to it. Love my Fi Q, forever bump.

I have love for the Q's. I have a pair of 12's in 4.2cuft tuned to 32hz. What everyone says about the differences between the Q & BL is true and why people who ask should go with the BL is simply because most people who get the Q aren't satisfied with the output and end up getting something that gets louder later on down the road. I'm not talking the next month or anything, but the vast majority do eventually migrate up to something else.

I am more than satisfied with the output I get from the Q's. They're louder than anything I've owned before them, and can very well produce more output than I'm willing to listen to on a regular basis. I have different listening tastes than most people do, especially around my area and people I talk to online, and they do exactly what I need them to and more. I've found though, that a lot of people I show them off to are looking for even more output. I get all kinds of comments on how good they sound, how accurate they are and how powerful they feel, but almost every one of those comments follows with a "it could be louder" sort of comment.

You're going to love the Q, how good it sounds, how low it goes and how much authority it has doing so, but I'm certain that sometime next year you'll be looking at replacing it with something louder.

It has nothing to do with no love for the Q. Personally if I had to choose it'd be a no brainer to take it over a BL. The reason you see responses like that though is the classic misconception that most people have. Q = SQ, SQ <= shitty sound, BL = Loud, My wants are LOUD and sounding good so I must need the Q. Then the question becomes Q or BL and when that is asked it is always asked by someone who doesn't know (otherwise the answer is obvious) and I have yet to meet someone who doesn't know that the Q is better for. There are exceptions but they just haven't surfaced on this site yet.

The decision needs to be based on enclosure and goals. Then it's really easy. In this case that screams BL.

It has nothing to do with no love for the Q. Personally if I had to choose it'd be a no brainer to take it over a BL. The reason you see responses like that though is the classic misconception that most people have. Q = SQ, SQ <= shitty sound, BL = Loud, My wants are LOUD and sounding good so I must need the Q. Then the question becomes Q or BL and when that is asked it is always asked by someone who doesn't know (otherwise the answer is obvious) and I have yet to meet someone who doesn't know that the Q is better for. There are exceptions but they just haven't surfaced on this site yet.

The decision needs to be based on enclosure and goals. Then it's really easy. In this case that screams BL.

Well I have to say its a bit too late considering the sub will be here Friday lol, but hopefully the Q will do just fine satisfying me. Like I said its just for a daily driver and I'm not one of these people to drive around full blast all the time but anyway I guess I'll just let you guys know how it turns out.

Good luck OP! They do sound great and hopefully it can fill your tastes in music.... You could always adjust box tuning to see if it gives you more of what you want before deciding on changing out/upgrading .... Just a suggestion ...

I'm just curious on your opinion, if you were in my place and had one Q 15, how would you design your box?

I would have to agree that a BL might have been the better choice, but im really just posting to make sure you dont get discouraged about your Q. Hey, i have ONE Q in a yukon and its plenty​ for daily driving (does anyone really need to blur their vision at 70mph??) and a little showing off (nothing competitive). To back up what Alton said about upgrading - Im building a custom box for two Q's here in another month. but thats purely because im addicted to car audio and always want to get bigger and better.

in the end, i think you'll love your Q. Just my two cents, but lets face it, you really cant go wrong with anything from FI haha!

I would have to agree that a BL might have been the better choice, but im really just posting to make sure you dont get discouraged about your Q. Hey, i have ONE Q in a yukon and its plenty​ for daily driving (does anyone really need to blur their vision at 70mph??) and a little showing off (nothing competitive). To back up what Alton said about upgrading - Im building a custom box for two Q's here in another month. but thats purely because im addicted to car audio and always want to get bigger and better.

in the end, i think you'll love your Q. Just my two cents, but lets face it, you really cant go wrong with anything from FI haha!

Ya its like saying should I buy a Ferrari or a lambo. One may suit u better but if u buy the wrong one you still have a Ferrari or a lambo. Definately could have done alot worse

wrong anology.

IT would be better to say would you pick a luxury family vehicle over a sportscar for the same price?

Both can go over the speed limit easily but each vehicle has it's own features that are a lot easier to obtain if using the correct car.