Austin863

IB'n my room?

Hey guys i'm looking into IB'n my bedroom for a kick ass home theater system. only problem is im not sure of what receiver to get nor do i know what mids and highs to get haha. Anyone have any suggestions there isnt really a price range as of right now. im just looking into it!

Your parents will kill you!

I don't have any experience diying home audio, but I do have a logitech surround sound system that cost like >$150 two years ago and it is damn loud. Like almost as loud as my dad's guitar speaker stack. Granted the sub is tiny and if I could figure out a way to replace the sub I would be more than happy with the system.

Your parents will kill you!

I told them we could do one in the living room to!

What about for a reciever. I knew thoes were probably the towers i was gonna be getting. but im not sure about a HU/receiver.

How exactly do you plan to go IB in your room? IB in a house generally requires cutting walls, floors or closing off a closet. Not sure that's something your parents would go for. Nor is it easy without a TON of displacement potential....meaning a lot of large diameter high excursion subwoofers with a pretty decent amount of power on tap. A house is nothing like a car, much harder to achieve bass output in a house than a car. You honestly would probably be better off with a ported enclosure tucked in a corner.

As for speakers and receiver....budget, goals, space, what all you need the receiver to do (input/output/etc) is all needed.

If you want this to also be a learning experience you could look at one of the numerous speaker kits available. They generally come with all of the parts (speakers, crossover parts, etc) that you need for the speakers. Some come with cabinets, others don't. If you have the ability to build the cabinets or can talk Nem into helping build them, then there are a ton more options available for various speaker plans.

Generally speaking dollar for dollar it's possible to end up with better performance going with a DIY kit and/or plans instead of the mainstream big box type speakers.

How exactly do you plan to go IB in your room? IB in a house generally requires cutting walls, floors or closing off a closet. Not sure that's something your parents would go for. Nor is it easy without a TON of displacement potential....meaning a lot of large diameter high excursion subwoofers with a pretty decent amount of power on tap. A house is nothing like a car, much harder to achieve bass output in a house than a car. You honestly would probably be better off with a ported enclosure tucked in a corner.

As for speakers and receiver....budget, goals, space, what all you need the receiver to do (input/output/etc) is all needed.

If you want this to also be a learning experience you could look at one of the numerous speaker kits available. They generally come with all of the parts (speakers, crossover parts, etc) that you need for the speakers. Some come with cabinets, others don't. If you have the ability to build the cabinets or can talk Nem into helping build them, then there are a ton more options available for various speaker plans.

Generally speaking dollar for dollar it's possible to end up with better performance going with a DIY kit and/or plans instead of the mainstream big box type speakers.

Well its not really gonna be for music, Its going to be an entertainment system i was going for a 12" ina ported enclosure. With a real nice receiver w/ crossovers and such already in it. I am not saying it going to happen right away nor will i want to seal off any of my closet or door spaces or anything but i would very much so like to have a nice sound system like that. I figured the IB3 would be a good driver for something of the sort with some nice mid and high towers nothing huge. i need skinny stuff because my room is big but a lot of the space is taken up. ill get some pics of the room and an idea of what id like to have done.

The IB3 is not meant for use in an enclosure. Pick another woofer

Well its not really gonna be for music, Its going to be an entertainment system i was going for a 12" ina ported enclosure. With a real nice receiver w/ crossovers and such already in it. I am not saying it going to happen right away nor will i want to seal off any of my closet or door spaces or anything but i would very much so like to have a nice sound system like that. I figured the IB3 would be a good driver for something of the sort with some nice mid and high towers nothing huge. i need skinny stuff because my room is big but a lot of the space is taken up. ill get some pics of the room and an idea of what id like to have done.

Then you do not want an IB3. As mentioned it's meant specifically for inFinite baffle.

What is your budget? Are you willing/able to DIY from a predesigned kit or from plans? Build cabinets?

Why are you guys trying to get more work for me?

;)

Now then instead of IBing my room. What would be a good woofer to put ina small enclosure in the corner of my room. I think I may be directing towards a Bose center and towers if I can find a set at a good price.

Now then instead of IBing my room. What would be a good woofer to put ina small enclosure in the corner of my room. I think I may be directing towards a Bose center and towers if I can find a set at a good price.

barf2.gifohnoes9.gifsigh.gif These come to mind when you say blose.

Bose don't sound very good. All marketing hype... Most of thier towers use garbage 99 cent Chinese junk cone tweeters...

I have re-coned 3 of thier flagship 901 sets over the years. Every set sounded like shit, even with the Bose EQ and everything set up right... I don't know how people can live with them honestly....

Look into a kit from Parts Express or Madisound. Check out Zaphaudio.com also. The full kits from the first two vendors are a piece of cake to build...

Why are you guys trying to get more work for me?

wink.png

That's the cost of being a good uncle :)

As was said....stay away from Bose.

You can get a full kit from PE, Madisound, Meniscus, etc that includes everything including the cabinets, some of them are even pre-cut for the drivers. It's really a matter of slapping everything together, and they would walk all over the Bose. If you can build your own enclosures then there are a lot more choices to choose from.

Still need a budget ;)