dbsupra

Cone area vs power

I've talked to several people and all seem to have a different opinion so I thought I'd get some feedback here.

Currently have 1 Q18 Dual 2 ohm wired to .7 DCR on a Sundown SAZ 2000

Enclosure is 8 cf3 tuned to 29hz

Been thinking about maybe picking up a second Q. I really like how it sounds but thinking about maybe going bigger and the black friday sale and my bday coming up I've been thinking about it more.

I have the space to build for 2, although it would be a little more tricky since I'd have to build around the wheel wells. It's doable though.

My concerns are if I get a 2nd Q I would have more cone area but running a higher DCR of 1.4 will more than likely cut down my amp output. By no means do I have the amp maxed out, I still have some headroom but not sure how doubling the DCR will effect output. I would think that even if I lost power output it wouldn't be that noticeable and would be more than made up for by cone area. But have never tried this before and would like some ideas.

Yes I know I could just buy a bigger amp. Yes I know I could buy a recone for my current Q. But don't want to go down that road.

Thanks for any input.

I would deffinatly think that the cone area would more than make up for the loss of power that would happen.

How about a second sub and wire the amp down to half rather than up to two ohms. Amp should do fine at half.

If you add a second sub and cut your power in half, you are not going to see much gain, if any.

You might get a little gain from less power compression, less heat, and you might not actually cut the amount of power you are seeing from the amp exactly in half.

In theory output would be identical. You are "gaining" 6db by doubling your displacement (assuming alignment stays the same) but "losing" 6db by going from 2kw per driver to 500w per driver. In reality you'll gain some amount of output as BKO pointed out due to improvements in power compression. Also it sounds like you might not be truly utilizing the full 2kw now. If you, for example, were only truly using around 1kw on the single Q then you would end up gaining 3db + differences in power compression by going to two Q's in the same alignment on 500w each.

That said you would also see measurable improvements in distortion as you would now be using half the excursion to reach a given output level with two Q's instead of a single driver. Whether or not that difference is audible really depends on the characteristics of the driver and how you use it in your installation....the difference might be audible, might not.

run that setup, then in a few months when you have money, trade your sundown 2k for a sundown 3.5k. TADA!!!!

and yes i know you dont want a bigger amp but with 2 18s isnt your goal to get loud??? you aint gonna achieve that with bitch power.

and yes i know you dont want a bigger amp but with 2 18s isnt your goal to get loud??? you aint gonna achieve that with bitch power.

At what point can power no longer be referred to as bitch power? Like 3kw, or has to be 3.5kw? If the power on average drops below 3.5kw due to impedance does it become bitch power?

I know the road your on. A second would sound great, but........ Then u will want more. Once you start chasing that ghost it doesn't end.......

My advise is buy a SP4 to go in the current enclosure which the SP4 would shine in. Run the same amp for now and focus on perfecting your front stage.

Or buy a second Q, but it won't end there. Trust me.

I didn't expect that. I was thinking if I had a single 18 at 1000w then got a new amp that was 2000w there were be very little audible difference. But using 1000w then doubled cone area it would have much greater return.

The problem with bitch power is my alternator. The stock is 80a and mine is "upgraded" to 100a. Noone makes an upgrade for me. Mike Singer came out to look at it and said yeah not going to happen. The only thing I can do is full custom.

I had thought about wiring down but .35 dcr kinda scares me.

Future plans was maybe find another 2000 and strap them. Being they are discontinued that isn't easy. Atleast for a good deal. That won't happen until I come up with an alternator though.

For electrical in the future- if you keep the same vehicle, use battery(ies) instead of upgraded alt and purchase a new VCM when it comes out. It will have some features that will benefit your situation.

At what point can power no longer be referred to as bitch power? Like 3kw, or has to be 3.5kw? If the power on average drops below 3.5kw due to impedance does it become bitch power?

Edited by stealth