Kaschan

Canadian with Questions!

Hello SSA forums, glad to be a new member here!

I just ordered a 10" GCON (dual 4 ohm, for a sealed box), and was curious as to what types of RMS levels it would take to work well? I know it takes up to 750 WRMS, I was just curious how well it would do with less than that, as I still need to get an amp for it, and money is an issue. it will be in a 2003 Saturn Ion, no sound deadening, and it is a daily driver, so I was looking for decent sound quality, with the ability to thump if need be on occasion.

On a related note, would either Soundstream PN1.650D, or a Crunch PZA1500.1 be better for this sub? I'm open to other amplifiers, but I was looking to spend under $150, and these seemed to fit the bill, assuming they do rated power.

Lastly, and I know this is getting complicated now, but to complement this sub+amp combo, would a set of Image Dynamics CTX-65, Focal-165-CA1, or Focal-165-CVX be the most effective complement for a front soundstage? I have no experience with creating mounting locations for component tweeters (none in car currently), so I figured staying with coaxial would be the safest, assuming there isn't a massive loss in quality.

Thanks for all your help/assistance, and looking forward to getting farther in to the world of car audio!

Edited by Kaschan

:WELCOME: What is your remaining budget?

WELCOME.gif What is your remaining budget?

After buying the GCON, I have ~$300, figured I could stretch it far with sales this weekend, and tomorrow as well! I have a 4-channel amp already that a friend donated to me when he upgraded, so I don't have that to worry about.

From the research I've done so far, I think most of the speakers were somewhat liked online, I was unsure on the amps though.

Edited by Kaschan

Welcome to ssa, If you are willing to buy used I can hook you up with some one locally who have some good used amps.

WELCOME.gif I think 500rms would be plenty to make it sound good.

Buy either one from sonic electronix. Hifonics and MB Quart made by the same company maxsonics. Better prices at sonic!

Edited by pmureika

Welcome to ssa, If you are willing to buy used I can hook you up with some one locally who have some good used amps.

I'd be willing to buy used, assuming the price was right.

Here is suggestion for a new one http://www.onlinecar..._ONX11000D.aspx

Also, why did you order a dual 4 ohm?

I figured it would be a lot easier to find a 2ohm stable amp near 750rms in my budget, than it would be to find a 1 or 4 ohm amp.

Buy either one from sonic electronix. Hifonics and MB Quart made by the same company maxsonics. Better prices at sonic!

So, the Crunch PZA-1500.1, or the MB Quart ONX1.1000D would both be around the same amp? I'm assuming Soundstream PN1.650D is overrated for it's price point? (I can get it for $110 locally, if that makes a difference on it)

Edited by Kaschan

:WELCOME:

Welcome