Dave88LX

Amp for a pair of 12" GCONs (750w)?

A pair of 4-ohm DVC GCONs are on the way. I'd like to think that up to $300 could get me into a decent quality 1-ohm stable amp to drive these. I have a run of 1/0 OFC to power this.

I know what the numbers say, but you guys know the real world on what I could/should use to power these.

Prefer to buy something used/taken care of; I think I can get more for my money that way.

Looking around, some options that I *think* would be good are Soundstream (Reference), Audioque, Sundown Audio, Crescendo...probably a bunch of others. Just looking for some guidance. If it's been hashed out already, please point me there while I search!

I know you inquired about used amps but the ssa store carries the crescendo 2k for about 380. It's a hair over budget. But buying a new amp comes with warranty and piece of mind.

Just something to ponder.

The sundown sax1200d is on sale for 340 right now.

Edited by pmureika

The sundown sax1200d is on sale for 340 right now.

Going to want something sooner...Pre-Order Yours! Arrives 31st Jan 2013

I know you inquired about used amps but the ssa store carries the crescendo 2k for about 380. It's a hair over budget. But buying a new amp comes with warranty and piece of mind.

Just something to ponder.

That bad boy is 2250 x 1... I thought you wanted the capability of producing more so you aren't maxing out/taxing the amp; but is there a threshold of how far over?

You are not likely going to see full power. Overhead is your friend. 2 subs rated at 750-1000w each seems to fit that amp well.

I agree with that recommendation, for your application, your money is best spent on the crescendo 2k.

If you want to compromise a bit on a lower budget, then look at the aq 1200.

I would go with the aq1200 because the bc2000d is on back order right now. But I just got my bc2000d to power a single 15 xcon and its a well built amp for the money!

Edited by pmureika

I was able to find one of my bc2000 for 300 shipped in great condition. Look at all the forums.

Does anyone recall what it was running during the Black Friday sale? I didn't even check. Just curious.

Does anyone recall what it was running during the Black Friday sale? I didn't even check. Just curious.

$324.00

Damnit.

I got lucky they went fast.

My nephew is running an audiopipe 1500.1 on his gcons. It does a good job.

if you can find a used one for sale, get a sundown 1500d, I have 2 12" gcons as well and it works great.

I'm a bit leery about Audiopipe.

I have a audiopipe 3kd. Its a nice budget amp. I ran my Icons on it for a while you just need to be very carefull with voltage drops as they are super sensitive, although for the money kind of hard to beat it.

I just didn't want to put too much into it, have an issue, and be hung out because they were improperly powered. I have heard that the 750w is a pretty conservative rating on these though.

They don't need rms power for great sound/performance. Don't be so fixated on the wattage number, and worry about features, size, quality, etc. Much of the time, it is a better usage of money to buy a used high quality amplifier or less power, then a brand new amplifier of higher power ratting. Yes, headroom is great to have, but when there is a budget applied to the amplifier, I feel headroom is not as important.

Thanks for the input Aaron. I'll continue to scour the classifieds for one of those. Most likely one of the ones in my initial post I guess, unless someone has any other ones I should also look at (high quality/used).

I have an Earthquake PH D2, but it does power at 2 ohm not 1 ohm like we were talking about.

If you switch out to D2 subs you use the Earthquake amp 2krms with it. Nice amp, just no use for it here. Heck, may even be able to flush it into the box when we build it lol.

In reality though, just about any decent 1k-2k amp will be a good match.

A aq1200d or 2200d.smile.png