FIenthusiast

Half of the port covered up?

hey guys, i bought an fi btl 18" sub yesterday

its my first big sub and im still learning so take it easy on me

anyway, the guy i bought it from gave me the box with it as well (looks to be about 6 cubes) and there was a piece of mdf covering half of the port

he mentioned something about it being there to build more pressure and im not sure what effect this would have anyway, in my opinion all it could possibly do is fuck the sub up somehow by making it move in a wa its not meant to in that box

can i get any opinions on it? let me know why it could be good or bad

-Stephen

Pics?

Yeah can you post a picture?

Pics?

ill try to post a few later on tonight, really busy at work now

Welcome

You live in my favorite place to visit! After we see a picture I am sure we can help you out.

lol, i try to appreciate it more and more whenever i hear someone talk about it that way

sorry about the delay for the pics, i took them but i havent had the means to upload them yet (done with my phone)

will try to upload them tonight in any spare time between putting up my christmas tree and studying for finals

-Stephen

And most likely it's a bad idea.

Of course the translation of what he tried to say may be why, but the pics will tell the story. And if they don't alone the dimensions will tell the rest.

tried posting pics but i cant seem to find out how

any help?

Edited by FIenthusiast

Upload them to photobucket first. Then click on the share links line in the share dialog box and click on the "IMG" code line. It will copy the "IMG" code to the clipboard automatically. Then just come to the forum and paste the link data into the reply box here.

yes need to know how large the encloser is .. he may have made the box too large, and in that case if you remove it with out knowing what your doing, you can damage the sub. basicly by unloading it to death...

Use a website like photobucket. Copy the direct link and paste it into the pic url icon.

Alton was a little quicker than me :P

Edited by Bassink

Worst case... he's an idiot and you now have a junk box for your sweet sub.

Best case... it's a port plug to swap between a street tune and SPL tune.

My guess is it's the former.

alright guys, working on uploading the pics now

im not sure about the box, it seems to be a really well built one from my perspective (minus the shitty paint job but meh, sound was meant to be heard, not seen)

alright guys, im failing at uploading them straight to the comment, its saying something about the file isnt allowed on the thread

anyhow, heres a link to where i have them on photo bucket http://s1284.beta.photobucket.com/user/FiAudioUser/profile/

also I plan on putting a hifonics zrx3000.1d on it

all i have done so far is the big 3, i plan on buy an extra battery and seeing how it works out and then if necessary getting a beefed up alt (ballin on a budget)

any suggestions, comments, recommendations?

be nice, im only just starting off in the big boy league

looks like they just covered the opening?? does that go all the way to the back of the port???

Lol is it just covering the opening?

looks like they just covered the opening?? does that go all the way to the back of the port???

You win.

yup you are both correct, just a small piece of mdf covering half the opening of the port.. :|

now you probably see why i came here kuz i have no idea what he was trying to achieve lmao

now, any useful info?

yup you are both correct, just a small piece of mdf covering half the opening of the port.. :|

now you probably see why i came here kuz i have no idea what he was trying to achieve lmao

now, any useful info?

Give us the dimensions of the enclosure, including the port opening (the whole opening including where the wood is covering) and port length.

Is it easy to remove?

alright when i get my hands on a tape measure ill give you guys some dimensions of the box, final exams this week so be patient :$ lmao

yeah its easy to take out, if you look at it, theres little ovals on it, thats where they put holes at an angle to screw it into the box, i took it out a few days ago but havent had the sub playing because i still dont have an amp for it as yet

now, any useful info?

Port noise?

wish i could tell you man, i havent had the money to get an amp for it yet (tire blew out on me, had to replace two) so i still havent heard it play in that box yet personally

i know the sub works though kuz ive seen the guy driving around with it so i know it works and i know its loud but i wanna know if it's any harm to the sub

and i wanna know before i start beatin the fuck out of it myself lol