Well I been wanting to upgrade and been looking into a lot of stuff and pretty much came down to a whole new system lol. But I been thinking and I have this nice 9887 HU installed with HSK165 up front and currently using the passive crossovers. I figured why not try running them active? huh why not so I been looking up info on a active system and now looks like I need a new amp in order to do this. So I've been digging around for an amp and not sure what I should go with, Ive been looking at a Alpine PDX-F4, DD C5C, SD SAX-125.4 or 100.4 (used), IA 6.4 and even a Zed Draconia-II and the problem is a can't really make up my mind cause I'm looking for 100-125w x 4ch amp for around $300 but I'm picky lol so anyway I perfer new unless its a good deal. I'm torn between DD C5C & PDX-F4 since they are within price so if anyone could shed some light on this or experience with these amps please feel free to share. Thanks and sorry for the long read..

Edited by Zins

Using a passive component set defeats most if not all of the advantages of an active setup.

I plan on losing the passive crossovers once I get the new amp.

I know that, it is still probably not worth it.

I know that, it is still probably not worth it.

X2, in a component set the tweeter is mated to the mid/woofer and the crossover network. Just switching from passive crossovers to electronic ones doesn't change anything else. If you really want to go active check out separate drivers from parts express and madisound, they're cheaper than you think. Do some searches on this forum, there have been a lot of recommendations and system builds using very reasonably priced drivers.

X2, in a component set the tweeter is mated to the mid/woofer and the crossover network. Just switching from passive crossovers to electronic ones doesn't change anything else. If you really want to go active check out separate drivers from parts express and madisound, they're cheaper than you think. Do some searches on this forum, there have been a lot of recommendations and system builds using very reasonably priced drivers.

Granted he will need some more processing to take full advantage, but there is NO need for new drivers. Running actively, he can manipulate power, and shape response electronically. He can't do that with the passives and that will change the way the drivers perform. Keep what you have now since they are quality drivers and work with it. If you find yourself wanting to upgrade, then you will be ready for this. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the drivers you have now.

Yeah I wasn't planning on getting new drivers these hsk165 are pretty decent and already sound great but for what I'm looking to do is to gain more then just performance by running an active system and that's experience since I have never setup an active system I figured ill try it out on this system I already have before I go out and buy all new stuff. So with that being said does anyone have any input on the amps? Thanks

It's really a toss-up. Pick the one you like best that fits your budget. Power for power, you won't be able to distinguish one from another.

Since the set is 125rms a side wouldn't a 75x4 RMS be pretty good since you are separating the tweeter and mid? I have the same set and have considered doing the same. Make sure the amp you get has a x100 switch for the tweeter.

Codester that's I good point I really didn't think much of the tweeter wattage handling. I pretty sure I read somewhere the ht25 could handle 120w but I think that's the peak. I'm glad you said something lol ill look into it tho thanks

Well the ht25 tweeter seems to be 50-60rms so maybe just adding 50-60w x 2ch amp and running my tweets off that and use my sundown 100.2 for the woofers.. Dunno yet but thats probably what I'll do I'm thinking 75w to the tweets might be pushing it. Any suggesitions are appreciated.

Ya you can use the gain of course and have the tweeters low but if youre buying a new amp you could save some going with a bit smaller like u said something like 50-75x4. Unless you are planning to change speakers right away and would need the extra power then the headroom is nice. If it goes good for you and is louder and sounds better I might do it.