Hey Guys, I need help from anyone who has experience or knowledge on the AudioControl DQS Processor. I have the DQS (which is an amazing piece) w/ the DDC. I understand the freq (eq) adjustments just fine. My question is on the octave slopes. This is more in depth than I've ever had to deal with or most anyone I know has to deal with. I just plain dont understand what the 1/3, 1/2, 3/4 & 1 octave width selection adjustment for each freq is for, or the purpose of the boost (level) of whichever octave width you choose. Is there a general rule of thumb or a general selection in these settings?

I have a big setup w/ lots of power & I feel like I have this great component I'm not using to its full potential. Any help is appreciated. And please explian as simple as possible lol. Thanks in advance!

An octave is just like an octave on a piano. Middle C to the C above is an octave. They also double in frequency numerically. ie, an octave up from 1000Hz is 2000Hz.

As for rule of thumbs, there are NONE in audio that ever apply to reality. Instead of asking what you asked, you should describe what anomaly you are trying to eq out, what you've tried, and what you need help with. Using an EQ to it's "full potential" is only done by using it to solve woes in your system. Without knowing them it is pointless to use an EQ at all.

Generally for newer users I'd recommend a graphic eq as fundamentally using a parametric takes a lot more insight.

Oh, one other thing. DON'T BOOST. Just cut.

Ok. That helps.

I don't have any woes persay. Only thing that I would like more of is mids/ highs to keep up w/ my 18's when their on. Otherwise, there's a "hiss" from my mids/highs that i'd like to eliminate..

It's cut first, boost last. Some times you have no choice but to boost.

The adjustments you can make with the DQS you are referring to are the 2 bands parametric per channel. You can choose the amount of effect over the selected bandwidth.

Ex: You select 500 Hz as the freq. You can then choose how far out to effect other freqs. 1/6, 1/3, ...1 oct. Both ways. So you will effect 250Hz to 1K Hz if you chose 1 oct.

Make sense?

Ok. That helps.

I don't have any woes persay. Only thing that I would like more of is mids/ highs to keep up w/ my 18's when their on. Otherwise, there's a "hiss" from my mids/highs that i'd like to eliminate..

DQS won't help either of your "things"

The hiss you hear is either poor wiring or thermal noise on the amp meaning you are gained beyond where you should be. Adding "boost" to that will really be counterproductive.

If there aren't frequency anomalies you are addressing you really don't need an EQ. Out of curiosity what else are you using the DQS for?

It's cut first, boost last. Some times you have no choice but to boost.

The adjustments you can make with the DQS you are referring to are the 2 bands parametric per channel. You can choose the amount of effect over the selected bandwidth.

Ex: You select 500 Hz as the freq. You can then choose how far out to effect other freqs. 1/6, 1/3, ...1 oct. Both ways. So you will effect 250Hz to 1K Hz if you chose 1 oct.

Make sense?

Yea, that makes sense. Thank you!

So, say we're still using the 500hz as the freq we're working with. If 1 octave will effect 250hz- 1khz, what would say choosing 1/3 octave effect?

Ok. That helps.

DQS won't help either of your "things"

The hiss you hear is either poor wiring or thermal noise on the amp meaning you are gained beyond where you should be. Adding "boost" to that will really be counterproductive.

If there aren't frequency anomalies you are addressing you really don't need an EQ. Out of curiosity what else are you using the DQS for?

I use it to seperate what my subs & mids/highs do. It provides a seperate eq for both & allows me to taylor it more than just using head unit controls.