Sign in to follow this  
scavin

does port direction matter

ok so the custom box ive got is for 4 15's and has 2 ports each allegedly tuned to 32hz but they both sit up top with woofers firing at the roof, does having the port in different areas help or does it depend on the vehicle?

Both, it depends on the vehicle and where the port is. It also depends on the placement of the box itself in the vehicle, the placement of the subs on the box plays a role as well. In car audio there are too many factors to consider, but you can get a general idea of what works best if you can find someone with the same vehicle or equipment.

The real question is help with what?

well the box was a friends that was given to me and really i was wondering if the setup could have more bass if i went to say 1 port firing towards liftgate tuned to 32hz, i dont really know how having 2 ports affects it or if it takes away from pressure levels or if anyone can tell me without a professional looking at the setup

Each port is NOT tuned to 32hz. The combined port area is tuned to 32hz.

If you were to plug one, your tuning would go DOWN, not stay the same.

"Taking away from the pressure levels" is too vague of a statement to comment on.

Narrow down your question so it can be answered better.

What brand and model are the subs?

There is nothing wrong with having multiple ports, just like any enclosure it depends on whether or not the enclosure was properly designed to start with.

So far we don't have enough details to tell you if the enclosure was properly designed or if it is a good match for your subwoofers.

subs are 2008 model fi bl 15 inch fully loaded enclosure is 12.8cuft with the 2 ports at 32hz, i can try and post pictures later if that might help, and i guess im just not wording it right but i just want the most bass out of my system that i can get, currently there are only 2 of the 15's in place waiting on the 2 new to ship so half of the box is sealed off and i know that affects performance but i figure if im gonna change something do it before installing new woofers

I am running 4 FI BL 12's in a 6.75 3net cubic feet enclosure tuned at 32hz and was wondering if thats too small?

if your chasing Dbeeez it matters.

If you just want some bass it doesn't matter and will probably be negligible, since we cant distinguish between Dbz once they get to a certain loudness 120db i think.

The higher the db the more you need to notice a difference.

In a car i doubt you will notice in an suv the waves may bounce around differently and sound different.

there will be a difference from the port facing up and the port facing the rear. in an suv you can hear the difference between the two setups. it will be louder with the subs facing up and the port towards the hatch. not much louder, but it was still audible to me. can you give the total outside dimensions on the enclosure? that would help a lot also. what vehicle is this going in? what are the port dimensions and you said the enclosure is divided? what thickness is the wood? all of those would help us out a lot in determining whether or not the enclosure is sufficient for those subs.

I am running 4 FI BL 12's in a 6.75 3net cubic feet enclosure tuned at 32hz and was wondering if thats too small?

in my opinion your enclosure is too small. I would shoot for 10-11 cubes after displacement

Now how mch port area do you have cause if your original enclsure is 12.8 cubes your going to have x amount of sq in port area per cube but cutting that in have is doubling the port area per cube while staying with the same port/ports...

I was hoping that it wouldnt be too small.

Why were you hoping?

IDK seems sufficient to me

Sealed box: N/A cuft | N/A cuft

Ported box: 1.5-2.5cuft | 1.5-2.5cuft

min 6cuft

max 10cuft

edit:

link

http://store.ficaraudio.com/bl12/

Edited by djjdnap

Well because i had it custom made for the subs. This is my first quad setup.

1st post you said your running 4 15s???

My bad 2 diff topics in this thread i thought we were talkin about the 15s lol

they better huge ports....did i miss how large the are?

Didnt say man

My bad....2 topics here. I was just curious.

My bad....2 topics here. I was just curious.

i'm a fan of large, more efficient enclosures. I know as the volume goes up you'll lose cone control, but I also know that with the amount of power your running on the 12's that you would be perfectly fine with the 10 cubes after displacement and it would gain db's as well. you just have to make sure like always to set your SSF properly and make sure that you don't have a lot of port area so you can maintain back pressure within the enclosure to help control the cone better. port placement within the enclosure will also have an effect on cone control.

Edited by ChILL

Sign in to follow this