spanky1975

box design... 3x SSA DCON 12's

Tomorrow is 21 days from my order date for the subs. I am trying to get everything ready as I am hoping the subs will ship soon. Thanks for the help :)

The list:

Vehicle : 1999 Chevy Tahoe (4 door)

Location in the vehicle: Cargo area

Space available (Length x Width x Height): 30" x 48" x 21 "

Subwoofer make and model: SSA DCON 12 (x3)

Subwoofer Size: 12"

Number of Subwoofers: 3

Type of Port (Kerfed, Slot, Aero, etc.): slot

What type of music do you like?: all kinds (rap,dubstep,country,rock)

Is your goal SPL or Everyday Music?: everyday

Tuning Freq (Hz): 30-32 hz (the subs Fs is 28.1hz if that would be better ?)

Volume : optimal for 3x dcons

Questions: What would be optimal for getting loud and still having great SQ ? Would it be

better with a single chamber or divided chambers ?

2.25cuft per sub is the optimal size for the subs. My sister has a single 12 in that size tuned to 31hz and not only does it sound phenomenal but the output is amazing. There's really not much use in tuning as low as 28hz either. A box, with common chambers that's 6.75cuft NET tuned to the low 30's will be fantastic.

What coil configuration did you order, SVC or DVC?

If you're certain those dimensions you posted are accurate I would be glad to help you get something designed and drawn up.

Alton bout to handle some biz son!! He loves thrm dcon.. You are in great hands man.

Oh and hey alton lmao

Well, after running some quick numbers I've got this drawn up real fast. It's 6.75cuft NET tuned to 31hz with about 109sqin of port area at 48"W x 16" H x 26.75" D. There's no bracing or double baffle drawn in here as I only meant the drawing for initial opinion purposes. With panels as large as several of these are I would recommend at least using some dowel rods to brace it up. If you want a double baffle or different bracing I can draw that up too. Any changes to the size and shape can easily be done as well, as I mentioned before that's plenty of room to play inside of.

Onto the pics of the drawing.

spanky1975threeDCON12s-1.jpg

spanky1975threeDCON12s-2.jpg

Sealed ninja.gif

Easier to make and hard to screw up.

1.20 cu.ft. per sub so your box can be smaller as well.

Sealed ninja.gif

Easier to make and hard to screw up.

1.20 cu.ft. per sub so your box can be smaller as well.

I would not recommend running the 10 & 12 inch DCON sealed. Now the 15 is another story, it does well in sealed enclosures. Alton did all the work for you, use his design.

That is A LOT of port area haha.

2.25cuft per sub is the optimal size for the subs. My sister has a single 12 in that size tuned to 31hz and not only does it sound phenomenal but the output is amazing. There's really not much use in tuning as low as 28hz either. A box, with common chambers that's 6.75cuft NET tuned to the low 30's will be fantastic.

What coil configuration did you order, SVC or DVC?

If you're certain those dimensions you posted are accurate I would be glad to help you get something designed and drawn up.

The subs I ordered are SVC. The amp that is on them is a new PPI Black Ice 1800.1. The ohm load should be about 1.34. I saw the quick design you sketched and it looks great. I am wondering if subs up/ port back is better than both subs/port back ?

Thanks very much for your help :)

UPDATE.......

Subs are shipped and will be here tomorrow......I guess I need to get busy :)

Typically that's the best configuration for SUV's. As always every vehicle is different and with some testing it could be different for your truck. Depends on how important it is to you as to whether or not its worth the trouble to test it. If you'd rather have subs and port back its no problem at all to make the change. Once a final design is decided upon then we can put up those drawings and a cut sheet.

Typically that's the best configuration for SUV's. As always every vehicle is different and with some testing it could be different for your truck. Depends on how important it is to you as to whether or not its worth the trouble to test it. If you'd rather have subs and port back its no problem at all to make the change. Once a final design is decided upon then we can put up those drawings and a cut sheet.

Ok cool. Then I will go with whatever you think is best for my Tahoe. No testing needed right now. I am going to buy all the materials for the box tomorrow. As I said, the subs should be here tomorrow too :).....looks like I might have a long night :)

Well I'll get the final drawings and cut sheet posted up tomorrow morning in time and ready for you to build.

Well I'll get the final drawings and cut sheet posted up tomorrow morning in time and ready for you to build.

Thanks very much Alton :)

That is A LOT of port area haha.

Actually, between the two most popular sites with minimum port area calculators on them the port area on this enclosure is just a little more than was figured on one and a little less than the other. I figured it was adequate. :D

Hnmm...I'm getting in the 80's for three DCON 12's.

If I understand ports correctly, then the length also matters. In this case the port will be 36 to 37 inches long. Correct me if I am wrong. :)

If I understand ports correctly, then the length also matters. In this case the port will be 36 to 37 inches long. Correct me if I am wrong. smile.png

I'm just referring to port area.

Oh.....well as you can tell I am still somewhat new to car audio and still learning. Maybe Alton will explain? shrug.gif

The CarStereo.com calculator seems to be a little on the light side compared to Vance Dickason's formula. I got the same 84+ from the CarStereo.com site but 144+ from the Cookbook formula. As I was running the numbers I figured the ~109 I used was plenty adequate.

The CarStereo.com calculator seems to be a little on the light side compared to Vance Dickason's formula. I got the same 84+ from the CarStereo.com site but 144+ from the Cookbook formula. As I was running the numbers I figured the ~109 I used was plenty adequate.

Small's formula is about 15m/s

sittin around waiting on UPS to get here......yea, I am just a little excited :)

Hey Alton,

I am all done with the wiring. Hoping to start on the box tomorrow. If ya have some time I hope to get that design from ya :)..... I really appreciate your help !!!

thanx.gif