bassahaulic

Parallel wiring vs Series wiring

In that video you posted, the guy states that faraday's law of induction is changed when it comes to voice coils. I'm not sure if I could believe a guy that says a law happens to be changed in one particular instance...

look below.. my phone typo-ed some stuff way off, lol

Edited by shizzzon

When you strap an amp you are running the series so voltage doubles. But it doesn't matter bc resistance doubles as well

Amps strapped= 100 volts and re of 2

P=e x I

P= 100v x 50 amps

P= 5,000 watts

Amps not strapped 50 volts, re 1

P=e x I

P=50 volts x 50 amps

P=2,500 watts

So it doesn't matter still the same amount if current over each system so same amount of heat.

He's not talking about what it does at the amp but at each sub and each coil.

Ok, this is as easy as it gets-

The perfect example-

1089w @1ohm

This is 33v 33a

Let's take 2 DVC 1 ohm coiled subs.

Our final load will be wired to 1ohm to the amp.

Both subs series'd first (2ohm per sub) then paralleled to amp(1ohm)

Each sub would see- 33v 16.5a (this is 2ohm which equals-544.5w

Each coil will see- 16.5v 16.5a (this is 1ohm which is per coil which equals- 272.25w)

Notice how both individual coils will read 16.5v 16.5a but as a whole, each sub would be 33v, 16.5a

Why?

Series...

Remember when strapping amps(in series), voltage doubles, current stays the same.

Now, let's reverse it-

Let's parallel each sub first then series at amp.

Both subs paralleled first(0.5ohm per sub) then series'd to amp(1ohm)

Each sub would see- 16.5v 33a (this is 0.5ohm which equals-544.5w)

Each coil would see- 16.5v 16.5a (this is 1ohm which is per coil which equals- 272.25w)

So when you get down to it, comparing coil to coil, they will both receive the exact same voltage and current.

I say your D9 is clipping or putting out more power.

As I have said twice now, the amount amperage and voltage being outputted from the amplifiers will not be changed just how the coils distribute everything is supposedly changed.

We will see if anything happens with this, if so good. If not oh well, maybe at least they will stay cooler while I play.

I think you are missunderstanding what is going on here. The voltage and current through the individual coils is a constant for a given power, an amplifiers output voltage and current sourced is what changes with voice coil wiring configuration.

If you experience difference in heating with the same power applied to the subwoofers then you are either being subjective with your testing or you are not in fact applying the same power...

If you can disprove Ohm's law you'll get a Nobel prize. Amusingly, the math is rather easy. No calculus required, just basic algebra. V=I/R

There is really nothing to "try". It's a scientific fact. If it weren't all of E&M in Physics would fall apart.

As I have said twice now, the amount amperage and voltage being outputted from the amplifiers will not be changed just how the coils distribute everything is supposedly changed.

We will see if anything happens with this, if so good. If not oh well, maybe at least they will stay cooler while I play.

Read through my very first post in this thread. It covers this, and the detailed but basic math. No matter how you wire it, each coil will see exactly the same voltage and current, and hence nothing will change. It isn't distributed different if the net result is the same voltage and current at each coil. If the voltage and current is distributed differently to each coil, then by default power is not the same. This is standard Ohms Law. If your test shows anything different than Ohms Law dictates, then there is a problem with your test.

I fail to see how there is going to be any difference. Two amps strapped at 1ohm is exactly the same as each individual amp at .5ohm since each amp effectively "sees" half of the load when strapped. And due to Ohms Law, the fact the coil impedance is not changing and the fact that wiring in series/parallel doesn't change anything in regards to the voltage/current and hence power each coil will receive and as a result their resultant cooling.....you are going to be right back to where you started.

As Sean said....if your test proves conclusively otherwise find yourself a physicist, write a scientific paper and submit it to various journals as you are a shoe in for a Nobel Prize.

Ok, check this out. I'm going to need everyone to CALM DOWN. Jesus Christ, it's like I said Obama is a swell guy or something shit.

Alright, I watched part of the video.

Here is the problem.....his math only works if you change the impedance of the coils for each wiring method. He uses an example of the same final load, but in order for that to be possible you have to change the impedance of the coils. He went from .5ohm coils wired in series for a final 1ohm load, to 2ohm coils wired in parallel for a final 1ohm load. You aren't changing the impedance of your coils, you are changing how they are wired. You are watching that video and applying it to all cases of series/parallel wiring, such as your case of wiring the subs together and strapping or wiring each sub to it's own amp. That's not how it works. That video has zero relevance to your situation where you are simply changing the wiring of your subwoofer.

I point this out because you kept talking about his math making sense. Helping to clarify to not just you but anyone else who stumbles upon this thread.

Ok, check this out. I'm going to need everyone to CALM DOWN. Jesus Christ, it's like I said Obama is a swell guy or something shit.

It isn't that. People get annoyed (including myself) when missinformation is posted and it is justified under the "well lets test and find out" banner. Not only does it misslead people, but it drags down this site. Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with creative design, but making things up (like most of the "transmission line" enclosures, "I need clean power class D amps" and "The RMS of subwoofer is how much power it needs" for instance) doesn't help anyone and just perpetuates ignorance...

It isn't that. People get annoyed (including myself) when missinformation is posted and it is justified under the "well lets test and find out" banner. Not only does it misslead people, but it drags down this site. Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with creative design, but making things up (like most of the "transmission line" enclosures, "I need clean power class D amps" and "The RMS of subwoofer is how much power it needs" for instance) doesn't help anyone and just perpetuates ignorance...

Well I'm sorry you feel I'm dragging down the site by questioning something like this.

It isn't the questioning that is the problem. It is the belief it is true before thinking/understanding it. In particular when are trying to defy a fundamental law of Physics. Seriously question away, but when you get an answer try to absorb it. If you don't get it, ask more questions.

More particularly here, assume that what you think you understood is flat out wrong. Now re-read the thread and see how you think noobs will take it. It'll justify something they also don't understand or mislead them into a direction of testing based on flawed logic and add more mayhem to something that is rather straightforward.

So from what I'm being told, there is no difference at all how the coils use the power going from series to parallel?

None at all?

So from what I'm being told, there is no difference at all how the coils use the power going from series to parallel?

None at all?

You are loading your question. Let me rephrase it for you and answer.

Is there a difference if you apply the same power to a driver and change from series/parallel to parallel/series?

The answer to that is no.

None at all?

Go back and look. I took the time to lay out an entire example for you in the best lamens terms i could possibly think of at the moment.

If you understand it, then you will see why we keep saying no.

None at all?

Riddle me this, Batman. How can you apply X watts to each individual coil and achieve a different result? Forget about series/parallel wiring for a moment, and forget about that Youtube video. If you have dual 1ohm coils and apply 500w to each coil, how is there going to be any difference in voltage/current per coil?