Sign in to follow this  
678gobot

Amp for Zcon 15?

I recently purchased a dual 2ohm Zcon 15" sub and I was hoping to get some feedback from others. I am currently running a Hifonics BRZ2100 to the sub and it sounds good but I know I'm under powering this beast. Consequently, I am looking to upgrade to something more powerful. The amps I had in mind are. DDM3B, American Bass VFL 150, or Sundown 2500. If anyone has a similar set up or had or currently running one of these amps please give me some feedback and or if you have experienced any issues. Any suggestions would also be helpful. Thanks.

If you aren't going to double the power, you probably won't hear a difference. If however you want to buy a better designed/higher quality amp for the hell of it, than ok. If that's the case, I'd strap 2 Zed Minotaurs.

Edited by SS Teacher

What are you box specs? Making a more efficient box is better than adding more power.

If you aren't going to double the power, you probably won't hear a difference. If however you want to buy a better designed/higher quality amp for the hell of it, than ok. If that's the case, I'd strap 2 Zed Minotaurs.

That would be pretty sweet.

My box is 3.3 cu. ft at 33 hz

I suggest having someone on here design a bigger box. You are on the small side of what SSA recommends. It'd be way cheaper to make a box than to buy high powered amps.

My box is 3.3 cu. ft at 33 hz

How much port area? I agree that a new enclosure is probably a good idea.

Crap. Idk the port area to my box since I had someone else build it. Ill try out another box and go from there. Thanks guys.

To find the port area, all you need to do is find the area of the opening of the port. Height times width.

Im a huge advocate of headroom, so im gonna say sundown 3500 or crescendo 3500

Those are better quality amps, but he's not doubling the power and probably wouldn't hear the difference.

Ill get back to you on the port area since I'm at work and am not near my truck right now but a Crescendo 3500 do look pretty nice though.....

Crescendo amps are very nicee!!

So I measured the port area and I got 50.78in^2. Now my question is this, how much bigger of a box should i go? Keep in mind I'm going to upgrade to another amp regardless and hopefully getting another Zcon in the near future. The idea of getting another box is cool but I really want an amp that will deliver clean power.

For the single 15, SSA recommends the biggest 5ft3. This will compensate for the low power you will have.

I'd say get two amps, because your sub is a dual 2 ohm. Two dual 2 ohms wire to either .5ohm and 2ohms. I dont think .5ohms is good when used for daily so your only other option is 2 ohms. Unless you get a one big amp and have it put out 3-5k rms then that's stupid. Having two amps each at 1 ohm strapped together will become 2 ohms. Go with two amps!

The bigger box will make you happier than a new amp.

I had my btl 12" on a 1500 w amp. I tried a 3000 w amp with the same box. I was not satisfied with the output. I couldn't even notice the change.

So I put back my 1500 w amp. And then build a new box : bigger, tuned a little higher, changed port direction, with a "kerfed effect". I love it. Sounds gooood and way louder.

I went from 135.xx to 139.xx db. :)

What if I get a crescendo bc2k and a bigger box? Say 4.5ft^3?

If you are just looking for a better quality amp go for it. If you are looking for more output from the power, don't waste your money. Start with building a new enclosure.

Went with a Crescendo BC2K. Shits sounds dope.

I have two strapped on dual 15s and yes they are dope. Enjoy man.

I will bro thanks. Any vids on your setup? I'd definitely like to see that since I'm probably gonna go that route (2 15s strapped) in the near future.

I will bro thanks. Any vids on your setup? I'd definitely like to see that since I'm probably gonna go that route (2 15s strapped) in the near future.

Couple on Youtube or check in the video section. Should be like SSA in Japan for the title. Shit slams hard bro.

I'd put a BC5500 on it if it was me.

I'd put a BC5500 on it if it was me.

You're crazy. You're crazy. I like you but you're crazy. Lol