swift

55 Chevy Rat Rod Bagged Pickup

The is a good friends truck. He gave me free run to do a what I want in his truck, I am keeping the budget for the entire build to $1500 or so. It already has a Kenwood headunit under the bench seat where it will stay and be operated by remote. The goal will be to leave the interior as is basically. It has a very small battery behind the seat which I may relocate to the bed if he will let me.

55 Chevy 3100 series. 350 2 barrel, automatic, Monte Carlo frame I believe, bagged with 4 switches, frame is notched and the bed floor raised to hide the air tank, compressor and wheel tubs. Its a bad ass fun truck.

The goal is simply to get a nice sound in it. Nothing crazy but fairly loud and sound good.

photo26-1.jpg

photo33.jpg

photo34.jpg

photo35.jpg

photo32.jpg

This is behind the seat. I was thinking of doing either one 12in Dcon or a couple 10's. Bottom depth is around 9in and top depth is maybe 5in (outside measurements) Width is no issue.

photo27-1.jpg

One set of components will go in some kick pods I will make. It has the perfect space to make nice pods.

photo28.jpg

photo29.jpg

photo30.jpg

photo30.jpg

photo31.jpg

So here are my thoughts. He listens to mainly Rock, 80's, 90's and some newer Pop music. Not alot of rap if any at all.

Electrical....It will all run on stock electrical but I will do a nice 4 guage amp kit. I will also replace that small battery with maybe a D3400.

Amp... Since I am not using my Alpine PDX 4.150 I will may just sell it to him and it will be good because it doesnt draw alot of current. So 150rms x 2 (4 ohms) for front components and 300rms x 1 (4 ohms) bridged to power the sub (s).

Front Stage... A nice 6.5 Component set. Undecided so far, needs to be clean and be able to get loud. Opinions?

Sub... maybe a single 12 Dcon or 2 (10's) of them sealed. Depth is a issue. Any good shallow subs?

Sound Deadner.. I will be doing the entire cabin except the roof in Second Skin Damplifier Pro, the Floor will also get Luxury Liner on top of the damp pro. It sounds very hollow in there now and alot of road, engine and exhaust Noise. I will fix that.

I am open to opinions. I think I will cover the pods in either bed liner or just settle with carpet. This is a Rat Rod, lol. Box will be done the same.

WOW!!!! Keep it stealth!!!

Alpine makes a great shallow sub.

Hey for a 6.5" component set, how about the new Crescendo ones? They are on presale until Dec. 21st. Maybe the Mezzo set which is 189+shipping. Then after the 21st it jumps up to 250+shipping. I don't know anything about the speakers, but let's say they're good and you like them, well you just got some good speakers for less than what you would pay. On the other hand, if you don't like them, you can sell them for the same price as you got them or maybe even a little more since you bought them during pre-sale. Just something to consider smile.png

Oh btw I bought the Mezzo series components!

Here's the website for them. http://store.crescendoaudio.com/component-speaker-systems/

Edited by Bassink

Ended up ordering a shop pack of Damplifier Pro and 4 large sheets of Luxury Liner. Figured a large side of the budget was better spent making sure you can actually hear what equipment I am putting in it.

Think I have decided on a single Sundown SD 12, with a depth of on 5.5in thats perfect. The front components may not be critical because they will be in the kicks and in sealed pods. My go with Alpine Type R's to fit in budget. The motors are Neo and very small. Or maybe the JL C5 series. I really want to keep budget on the components down to 300 or so now.

That is one sweet looking ride!

Hey for a 6.5" component set, how about the new Crescendo ones? They are on presale until Dec. 21st. Maybe the Mezzo set which is 189+shipping. Then after the 21st it jumps up to 250+shipping. I don't know anything about the speakers, but let's say they're good and you like them, well you just got some good speakers for less than what you would pay. On the other hand, if you don't like them, you can sell them for the same price as you got them or maybe even a little more since you bought them during pre-sale. Just something to consider smile.png

Oh btw I bought the Mezzo series components!

Here's the website for them. http://store.crescen...peaker-systems/

If he wants clean and loud components how can you recommend some speakers that arent out and nobody heard yet.

OP, badass truck and cant wait to see what you do with it. It looks like a fun little project to have around

Very cool truck, keep us updated. :)

JL C5 are some really nice components. buddy of mine has them in his m3 and they are so crisp and clean. love the truck. can't wait to see what you do with it.

Cool truck. Can't wait to see the finished product. I remember on my '46 Chevy, the battery was located right under the passenger's feet. Was that where it was stock in the '55?

Really clean truck. I like how he has it setup. gotta have A/C

Tuned in for sure.

no alt upgrade?

On an old truck like that what does the alt put out 30-50amps?

Truck looks great but why doesn't he paint it? wink.png

It is painted, lol

Patina Blue painted to look old. Its a clean truck. Full redone vintage a/c in it that will run you out of it.

Not sure what the stock alt does, but the new battery should be fine. Remember, he just wants good sounds, He wont be "bangin" lol.

I think the JL C5's would sound alot better than the Alpines but may not be noticeable.

It is painted, lol

Patina Blue painted to look old. Its a clean truck. Full redone vintage a/c in it that will run you out of it.

Not sure what the stock alt does, but the new battery should be fine. Remember, he just wants good sounds, He wont be "bangin" lol.

I think the JL C5's would sound alot better than the Alpines but may not be noticeable.

I knew better than to try and post sarcasm, I was hoping the wink emoticon would indicate that. Yea, I knew what "rat rods" where and love that style, it makes me appreciate it even more because it doesn't have flames, spinning chrome wheels, etc., etc. Also a fan of those old "sleeper" muscle cars.

Got the 55 over at the house this week, gonna try to get most if not all of it done. I needed to run to Lowes, might as well drive it. Truck drives awesome!

28536FC3-A087-4536-A2C6-7C79BE9F8375-4107-00000205C07A394E.jpg

Box is done. 1.1cu net sealed.

61C6785E-DE45-4FC8-9E23-B21D02ED0514-686-000000DD1D15CB0A.jpg

3DCA9B79-43C2-4E28-A4F2-7043FDF582DB-4107-00000205E073384E.jpg

241A2227-A73B-4031-9F47-D9BE70614FCA-4107-00000205C444963E.jpg

Gonna start kicks tomorrow

809E9D8D-E728-44AC-B79A-A9A6B7F144EA-4107-00000205C9A50DFD.jpg

Complete truck is deadened now also

What materials are you planning on using for the kicks?

Gonna try glassing some, will be using bedliner to cover them so they are durable. Will fit the theme also

Edited by swift

I'd order some marine grade resin and mat instead of the cheap bondo, 3m stuff at autozone or Home Depot. It'll make your life easier, and the end product will be much better. :)/>

Check out the 435 standard polyester resin at UScomposites.com, and their 3/4 oz chopped strand mat (pretty thin, so many layers are needed, but easier to shape/form).

If you do go through them I'd also get some aerosil cabosil to use with the resin as a final layer/coat for a smooth finish (less sanding time for imperfections, and less bondo needed).

Tongue depressors, plastic cups (not red party cups), and measure containers will come in handy, and don't forget a legit carbon filter mask.

If you end up fiber-glassing the base against tape or tin-foil you may want to spray it beforehand with a mold release agent or wax, so it doesn't stick.

Edited by stefanhinote

Box looks good, I almost wonder if it would fit the theme better by covering it in vinyl as opposed to the carpet, or go with a rougher outdoor style carpet instead of the smooth audio carpet. Still love the truck, glad it drives nice.