DanP

Building a box for 2 Obsidian 15"

Nice work Alton.

Nice box design! Keep the pictures coming!

Tomorrow morning I have to go to a few local car audio shops and see how much they'll charge to build it

Tomorrow morning I have to go to a few local car audio shops and see how much they'll charge to build it

If you were closer to me I would build it for you.

If you were closer to me I would build it for you.

Yeah that $130 in Gas + 2 Sheets of 3/4 MDF would be a bit high

Gas would cost more then the box itself

Edited by DanP

man put some hours into that box. hope your grateful, thats some wonderful help. good luck with the build. do you think you can tackle building the box yourself?

man put some hours into that box. hope your grateful, thats some wonderful help. good luck with the build. do you think you can tackle building the box yourself?

If I had access to more tools yes, unfortunately I dont so I've been trying to locate either a local shop, or someone experienced in my area to do it for me.

I found a local shop that will build it they quoted $240, they said the higher price was due to the fact it would take them 3 sheets of MDF, and 3-4 hours of labor.

As far as I can see it should only take 2 sheets of MDF, As for the hours of labor part I'm not exactly sure how long this box would take

But, I do know he told me it would be $140 for the wood, when I know for a fact its $33 per sheet of MDF Here and he tried to argue that I was wrong.

So I'm still up in the air and looking around to see if I can find someone better

Well after giving it some though, and getting some quotes.

The lowest quote I've gotten Locally has been $240, All the other local shops say they don't build enclosures until early Spring

So with taxes in NY State being 8.75% (Or around that) and the shop saying there would be tax it would come to a total of $261

3/4 MDF is only $33.32 for a 48 x 96 Sheet here. So for the price they charge me I can nearly buy 8 sheets of MDF

The box itself will only take a sheet and a 3rd

mdfsheets_zpse78fce63.png

So even though I don't have the tools I'd like to use, I do have the appropriate tools and will take my chances and hope that with what we'll call 6 sheets of MDF then glue/screws I can accomplish my box, considering it would be roughly 5 Attempts worth of wood.

If you are buying the wood look and see if the store has a panel saw, Lowes does. They will cut out the pieces you need, just watch over them so they don't give you shitty cuts. Then all you need to do is assemble.

If you are buying the wood look and see if the store has a panel saw, Lowes does. They will cut out the pieces you need, just watch over them so they don't give you shitty cuts. Then all you need to do is assemble.

Cant really expect them to cut my entire project, Although asking doesn't hurt. I did ask this at Home Depot and the guy kept going on about how they only cut wood as a courteousy for customers to fit the wood in their vehicle. This man was very unpleasant though and it might of just been one of those situations where the man just miserable, or they see a young guy buying 3/4 MDF and they instantly put it together with an enclosure.

And yeah when I go to purchase the wood Lowes is definitely where I'm going, I figured I can have them make the 3 cuts for the top, and bottom, then on the second piece they can make me the two 15.75" strips. This will allow me to fit the wood in my Jeep at any rate.

Edited by DanP

I just checked and at Lowes the first 2 cuts are free and each cut after is $.25.

I just checked and at Lowes the first 2 cuts are free and each cut after is $.25.

Its the same for home depot, but I guess it all depends on the person you get to cut your wood. What type of attitude they have, and how friendly they are.

Edited by DanP

Keep in mind getting good work done is not cheap, 240 is not a terrible price. To me 3-4 hours seems pretty fast. I would put probably have double that time in a box that size but I am pretty picky.

My suggestion is take the money it would cost to have one built and go buy your self a 100 circular saw, cheap jig saw and a straight edge and some clamps. Buy a couple sheets and try it your self, once you build your first you will probably build your second, etc etc.

Or pay Pro Rabbit and let him build and ship it to you.

Keep in mind getting good work done is not cheap, 240 is not a terrible price. To me 3-4 hours seems pretty fast. I would put probably have double that time in a box that size but I am pretty picky.

My suggestion is take the money it would cost to have one built and go buy your self a 100 circular saw, cheap jig saw and a straight edge and some clamps. Buy a couple sheets and try it your self, once you build your first you will probably build your second, etc etc.

Or pay Pro Rabbit and let him build and ship it to you.

The shop has a panel saw, and is a car audio shop so I'd imagine that the shop can get a box built within that time period.

I have all of the tools you just mentioned, but my circular saw is only a $50 one, Im gonna go buy a nice blade for it and see if I cant get this box built myself.