Sencheezy

First time buyer looking for insight

So I've began researching cameras and am seeking advice. I am fairly new to photography so simplex would definately be a big help. I don't want to be overly confused by so many options. It is an hobby that I do look forward to explorering. The main things I would be shooting would be pretty much anything that catches my eyes. And I don't mean, like, pictures of my fork, or a pair of shoes that are untied. I mean, things like, car shows that I would attend, where there will be an abundance of colors. Or, city shots where there will be a lot of moving objects. Or stand still shots of newly purchased equipment, where focus, detail, and clairty will play a big part.

Besides taking pictures, I would also be capturing video. This purchase would probably last me quite a while, I'm thinking at least 5 years, if not more. Videos taking will just consist of hangouts of friends, and car shows. There won't be any "film" worthy videos taken, unlikely, but still would appreciate decent quality. I don't expect to particapate in any long duration of shows that I would need to record 3+ hours of, so battery life isn't a high priority either.

So, through some basic search, I have come across some of the following candidates. Also, Budget would be =< 1,000$

Nikon D7000

25468_D7000_left.png

Canon 60D

canon_eos_60d_angle_medium.jpg

Nikon 5200

nikon_d5200-415x400.jpg

Canon T3i

canon-eos-rebel-t3i-photos.jpg

I know theres some really good guys here who could help me out, like Frostedflakejake and others.

No offense taken a-hole..... lol.... Did you look at Sony at all? Also,things to keep in mind... do you really want to change lenses all the time? Do you want something better at night? Do you want to be able to take photos in the dark without a flash? Are you okay with heavy weight ? Would you like editing photos?

If you answered yes to like all of those questions you're in the right market... ;-)

I love photography because its fun and helps with documenting and shyt.....

If your sole purpose is for car meets, you're in for a huge surprise cuz you just might get the bug!!!

I&#39;m no expert in this , for my work I need to take pictures in dark and/or unevenly lit spaces , we went from a fujifilm finefix to a canon eos 1000d ... it was just not user friendly ,making a good picture was timeconsuming and dificult so we went back to a fujifilm finepix hs30exr which we are very content with

No offense taken a-hole..... lol.... Did you look at Sony at all? Also,things to keep in mind... do you really want to change lenses all the time? Do you want something better at night? Do you want to be able to take photos in the dark without a flash? Are you okay with heavy weight ? Would you like editing photos?

If you answered yes to like all of those questions you're in the right market... ;-)

I love photography because its fun and helps with documenting and shyt.....

If your sole purpose is for car meets, you're in for a huge surprise cuz you just might get the bug!!!

Haha, no, I did not look at sony at all.

• do you really want to change lenses all the time? I'm not really sure. I mean, it sounds like an hassle to have to constently have to change lenses. Like I've said, I'm new to this kind of segment, so I would prefer to stay with one lense, that is good in all area, but not in expert in one area. If that makes sense. Like, if it takes decent pictures all the time, I would prefer that lense vs having to change lenses in every environment.
  • Do you want something better at night? I don't see myself taking a whole lot of pictures at dark. But of course, there will be those times, like for "best neon light" contest or something of that nature. But it wouldn't be my main focus.
  • Do you want to be able to take photos in the dark without a flash? That would be neat, but again, isn't a main concern. I mean, every snap and shoot camera I'ver ever seen had a flash. So some sort of flash would definately be a plus. Kind of on the fence with that one. I could see myself saying, "damn I wish I had more light" though... hmm.
  • Are you okay with heavy weight ? I"m totally ok with that. I would simply invest into one of those carrying lanyards or whatever they are called lol. To wrap it around my neck. But weight isn't a factor at all really.
  • Would you like editing photos? Meh, I'm not too big in editing photos. Like I said, I'm not going to be doing this as a career, just as another hobby. I would imagine ANY photo could be edited though?

I love my Sony A55..I got it for a great price (used) 500 and it takes GREAT pictures and even better videos. You can get Sigma lenses for dirt cheap refurbished or brand new that are compatiable with the A Mount. Lenses open up a wide world of being able to take great pictures.

Edited by Julian

You could get a "walk around" lens.... I currently use a 16-80 for like 95% of my photos... I dont know specific models bit I know there are similar offerings for all brands out there.

Also lower f-stop lenses are generally best for all around shooting as well.

Also, I dont do this as a career. Editing is easy and with software like adobe lightroom or even Google picasa (I use both) you can edit RAW image files with ease.

I love my Sony A55..I got it for a great price (used) 500 and it takes GREAT pictures and even better videos. You can get Sigma lenses for dirt cheap refurbished or brand new that are compatiable with the A Mount. Lenses open up a wide world of being able to take great pictures.

Ok sweet, like I said, I haven't even looked at Sony really. Do you have any photos/videos of it you could share? Would be interested in how well it recorded subwoofers moving.

You could get a "walk around" lens.... I currently use a 16-80 for like 95% of my photos... I dont know specific models bit I know there are similar offerings for all brands out there.

Also lower f-stop lenses are generally best for all around shooting as well.

Ok great, thanks. The lens that came with most of the mention camera's above were "18-50 or 18-150". I'm not exactly sure what those numbers even mean lol. But yes, thats what I'd be interested in, "walk around" lens.

Also, I dont do this as a career. Editing is easy and with software like adobe lightroom or even Google picasa (I use both) you can edit RAW image files with ease.

alright, sweet, thanks for the input.

This was taken with my slr. Julian's is even better and so are the newer Sony cameras.

The 18-50 are usually decent and suffice until you can get a better lens down the road. I'd look at second hand sigmas.

Editing ability is very important!

I use DxO Optics Pro for RAW editing. I have Lightroom too, just never used it yet.

I just came across this video

Was taken with the Canon T2i but has the "Magic Lantern Firmware"

Looks fucking surreal.

you can get the a55 to do up to 59fps but videos are fairly limited and the file size is GIGANTIC.

Get the 5500 and spend the extra money left over on lenses.

You'll never see the quality difference between the Nikon and Cannon. However I personally like the The feel of the Nikon in my hands it's more comfortable and doesn't feel as cheap.

If your not concerned about bracketing I'd even step down to the 3200 and spend even more money on lenses.

You'll never see the quality difference between the Nikon and Cannon. However I personally like the The feel of the Nikon in my hands it's more comfortable and doesn't feel as cheap.

If your not concerned about bracketing I'd even step down to the 3200 and spend even more money on lenses.

This. A good lens will make a world of difference as well.

These were taken with a D3100 last week. Click the photos to expand.

image-6_zps557502d8.jpg

image-6_zps78fc49fc.jpg

image-6_zpsf9592cc5.jpg

image-6_zps135ed412.jpg

Not wanting to change a lens and $1000 does not equal a new camera in the DSLR class IMO. Everything you get advantage wise in an SLR you give up by doing that. If you don't bother to invest in the glass, don't bother with the camera.

There's a huge reason that a 10 year old DSLR that has less MP than your phone takes WAY better pictures. It sure the hell isn't that the digital processing is better in the ancient camera either. It's ALL in the lenses.

If I really wanted a DSLR and only had $1000. I'd seriously think about what I was shooting and buy a used setup. Most likely spending $7-800 of it on the lens. For example, in the Canon world that would be a 40d. If you are lucky you can grab a use 430 flash and whatever glass is for your general use with the leftovers. Guaranteed that it will take pictures that are way better than your skill or anything else you are looking at. Bonus is you can flip it for nearly no loss if you realize you bit off more than you can chew.

If you "need" a walk around lens the Canon 24-105mm f/4L with USM can be had for around $800 used. Better on a full frame obviously but it is overkill in all the right areas.

you can get the a55 to do up to 59fps but videos are fairly limited and the file size is GIGANTIC.

That seems like a regular hand held camcorder. This purchase would have to play the role of "camera of the household" kind of deal. Meaning, it will have to be dual purpose of both taking great pictures and videos. I'm not exactly sure how well the A55 takes pictures, has shown from other replies here in the thread. Also, file size is really not an issue or an deciding factor either. I failed to mention that previously.

What 5500 are you referring too? Also, as mentioned above, for the first purchase, I would rather use a "walk-around" lense vs spending money on numberous lenses. As this is my first trial in this type of field, I do not want to be overwhelmed by the many lenses needed per environment.

This. A good lens will make a world of difference as well.

See above response.

Not wanting to change a lens and $1000 does not equal a new camera in the DSLR class IMO. Everything you get advantage wise in an SLR you give up by doing that. If you don't bother to invest in the glass, don't bother with the camera.

There's a huge reason that a 10 year old DSLR that has less MP than your phone takes WAY better pictures. It sure the hell isn't that the digital processing is better in the ancient camera either. It's ALL in the lenses.

If I really wanted a DSLR and only had $1000. I'd seriously think about what I was shooting and buy a used setup. Most likely spending $7-800 of it on the lens. For example, in the Canon world that would be a 40d. If you are lucky you can grab a use 430 flash and whatever glass is for your general use with the leftovers. Guaranteed that it will take pictures that are way better than your skill or anything else you are looking at. Bonus is you can flip it for nearly no loss if you realize you bit off more than you can chew.

I am not disagreeing with the need of a good glass. But what I am trying to say, is that, for the first experience, I would like to invest in one maybe two at the max lenses. Simply becuase I would like to get a feel of photography before I venture off attempting to change lenses. Also, keeping in mind, that the quality and fps of video is just as important as the still picture quality. So from what I've been told, the processor in some of the cameras may be the deciding factor from one brand vs the other.

I have already described what I would be shooting, that is why I am asking for advice on which camera I should invest in, per my use. The price of the lenses is exactly what deters me often times. And is another reason why I am asking, what camera, and what lense, should I invest in that I could use for general purpose use. That way, once I get my fee wet, I can make a newly educated decision, on needing a new lense, for that given purpose.

If you "need" a walk around lens the Canon 24-105mm f/4L with USM can be had for around $800 used. Better on a full frame obviously but it is overkill in all the right areas.

If I was to buy the

Canon EOS 60D 18 MP CMOS Digital SLR Camera with 3.0-Inch LCD (Body Only)(~610$), and the Canon 24-105mm f/4L with USM(~800$), that would cleary place me above my $1,000 budget. Again, I am not looking for professional grade equipment here. I would be perfectly fine with purchaseing the 60D, and a decent walk around lense, just to begin with. And then, maybe next year, or later in the year, I would go ahead and purchase taht 800$ lense. But just simply can't afford to make both of those pruchases at the same time.

Your gonna want more lenses. Your gonna get in a situation with a walk around lense where you want to zoom in on something 50 feet away and you are going to run out of lense.

Just like M5 said ur not gonna gain much in quality with a few mega pixels. It's all. In the lenses.

You can see in a few of the pics especially the bird in the grassy water is a bit pixelated. That pic was taken with a 50-250m lense (50meters to250meter zoom) and I still ran out of zoom. That bird was only about 50 feet from me.

Although all that was said is true... I still think for his purposes at this point he could get a good DSLR and a decent lens under under 1k.

Nikon's on sale at Amazon right now. Think a 3200 is just over $400. He can buy a nice walk around lens with remaining budget. Or get a used nicer lens as well. The market for used Nikon and Canon equipment is huge.

I'm not a professional but I've acquired a few lenses because my walk around didn't serve EVERY purpose. Mainly for extended zoom. Picked up a used Minolta beercan lens for $60 and love it. Would love more zoom but don't "need" it now. Might rebuy a prime lens again for "just-in case" purposes. But even a nice 1.8 new is under $250.

Your gonna want more lenses. Your gonna get in a situation with a walk around lense where you want to zoom in on something 50 feet away and you are going to run out of lense.

Just like M5 said ur not gonna gain much in quality with a few mega pixels. It's all. In the lenses.

You can see in a few of the pics especially the bird in the grassy water is a bit pixelated. That pic was taken with a 50-250m lense (50meters to250meter zoom) and I still ran out of zoom. That bird was only about 50 feet from me.

You meant "mm" right??

read this whole thread, lots of good info. Though I may not understand it all, good stuff regardless.

I shoot with a Nikon D7000 and absolutely love it and my friends shoot with Canon, actually 2 of them with a 7D. In my opinion if you like to shoot outdoors go with Nikon, Canon's shine in a studio with a tripod.