lithium

tablet and minidsp wiring questions

I'm swapping out my clarion 785usb for a nexus 7 tablet (source) with a pair of 2x4 mini dsp for processing. This set up is a 3way + sub.

What i would like to do is set the tablet volume to max and then run a volume control potentiometer to control the master volume out of the source (tablet). Additionally, i would like to control the subwoofer level semi-independently. What i mean is that the master volume would control all the channel (including the subwoofer) but a secondary volume control will be used between the minidsp and subwoofer amplifier.

So this is something like what i was planning to use, http://www.amazon.com/Axxess-AALC-Remote-Level-Controller/dp/B003FPD3IS/ref=pd_sim_auto_6

Perhaps i could get the correct potentiometer and hack up some old rca's instead of buying this.

I already have 3 runs of rca's so the wiring is pretty much ready. it would be better if i could just find a gain knob for my cadence zrs 2002 (sub amp) :(

anyone have a better idea to accomplice this or a cheaper product than what i linked?

I would try a gain knob from another amp on the Cadence. I'm presuming the Cadence has a telephone line jack.

http://www.amazon.co...words=gain+knob

I skimmed over the master volume issue--oops. I know minidsp has a pot for their units, but you need to lengthen the cable if you decided to use theirs.

http://www.minidsp.com/onlinestore/detail/8-accessories/flypage/78-volume-control-pot?sef=hcfp

Edited by stefanhinote

I would try a gain knob from another amp on the Cadence. I'm presuming the Cadence has a telephone line jack.

http://www.amazon.co...words=gain+knob

I skimmed over the master volume issue--oops. I know minidsp has a pot for their units, but you need to lengthen the cable if you decided to use theirs.

http://www.minidsp.c...ol-pot?sef=hcfp

a gain knob from another amp might work. i might have one from my bro's install around. so far i haven't found one keeper than the option i linked above.

i would have to see if i can use a single minidsp pot for both units. though it might be more convenient to use the rca volume control because it wouldn't require running extra wires from the back of the car.

The minidsp "comes" with a volume control. Use it.

The sub I'd recommend using an ALPS pot for. Make sure to get the audio taper one.

"" are because it's a couple bucks.

The sub I'd recommend using an ALPS pot for. Make sure to get the audio taper one.

Curious is the audio taper on a logarithmic scale vs linear?

Curious is the audio taper on a logarithmic scale vs linear?

There is a reason that sound is measured in dB. :P

sounds good. thanks!

The tablet going to have enough voltage to get a reasonable volume out of the MiniDSP's?

that is a good question. i think sean used a line driver in his boat install.

the minidsp is either .9v or 2v max input. i'll see what the tablet puts out.

that is a good question. i think sean used a line driver in his boat install.

Which was my point....if you needed to use a line driver due to low V output from the tab, they usually have volume knobs built in so that would solve one of your problems.

I've look around a bit but i can't find any specifications for the nexus 7. some other tablets have ~.5v out.

Could you measure it with a dmm? You can always hook the tablet up to the minidsp, and test it out without a line-driver in 5 minutes--worst case end up ordering a line-driver. Also you can take the case off, and flip a switch for .9 or 2v--I'd imagine .9 would suit the tablet.

And probably leave your amps in a gain range where they can be noisy. Might need a line driver. You could buy one with volume controls in it already.

And probably leave your amps in a gain range where they can be noisy. Might need a line driver. You could buy one with volume controls in it already.

Meh. More distortion for the dbzzz. :P

my cheap ass dmm wasn't returning realistic values. i'm definitely going to try it out before buying a line driver. it might have enough juice to work.

i thought about sticking my old hu in the trunk but i'd rather not.

Edited by lithium

RISE, RISE, RISE from the dead.

This thread just stopped.

What did you wind up doing?

I'm looking to get a 2013 SHO this spring and thought a tablet and mini dsp could work well as a solution.

I don't think I want to mess with things like the bit one or ms8.

I doubt trying to hide my dex-p99rs somewhere will work very well either.

i have a build log for my buick you could check out. i can link to it if you cant find it. i should probably update that log sometime too... 

my set up right now is tablet - behringer uca202 (usb dac) - minidsp 2x4 (2) - amps. 

using a bluetooth remote for volume right now until i figure out how to hack the steering wheel controls. also, I'm running a separate gain control (pac unit) for sub amp (some times i want more/less bass). 

Link to build log?

So what is charging the tablet? Do the tablet charge and have output signal at the same time? If yes, then what other tablets do this? I ask becuase i would like an larger screen tablet

Thanks lithium, I'll do a search for the build log.

I found it.

I'll read throught it, thanks for the quick reply.

Edited by cobra93

So what is charging the tablet? Do the tablet charge and have output signal at the same time? If yes, then what other tablets do this? I ask becuase i would like an larger screen tablet

nexus 7 w/ timurs kernel via http://www.cyanogenmod.org/

Thanks for the links.

I read the log, but it just kind of stopped.

Did you wind up needing the line driver?

I have to admit I'm drooling over the 8" sls in your doors.

How do they sound and how high are you running them?