DanP

My First "Real" Jeep Build

IMG_20130411_185520_zpsaebec0c6.jpg

Finished off the sub box today and put it in my Jeep.

Over the next few weeks I'm gonna test and see how subs back/port back, subs up/port up, and subs forward/port forward sound

So far its looking like subs back/port back wont work due to my lack of sound deader/massive rattles.

I assume that it sounds great. smile.png

Edited by BrutalBasser

shoulda went wt subs up ports back  ninja.gif

shoulda went wt subs up ports back  ninja.gif

I have a box with Subs up, Port back but I'm playing with different positions/setups to see what sounds best in my application.  Rather then going with everyone else and assuming subs up, port back will sound best just because I have an SUV.

This enclosure is tuned to about 30 Hz, and my Enclosure with subs up port back is tuned to about 32Hz if I remember correctly I'm too lazy to go find the thread with the design right now.

So far I've concluded for me without any deader on my vehicle Subs back/Port back just gives my rear hatch a beating and creates a ton of unwanted noise.

Audibly to the ears I don't notice much of a difference between subs up/port back compared to subs up/port up.  I don't have access to a meter to find the differences as far as Numbers go.

My current enclosure with subs/port up is close to the ceiling of my Jeep as you can see in the video though and I'm wondering how much that affects it.  I might take on 1 more attempt at a box with subs/port up but have it level'd off with my rear windshield rather then blocking it.

I assume that it sounds great. smile.png

Yeah I'm very happy with the sound they produce.  Now I just need to work on my front stage before I add two more to my setup.

I think the jest of it is that subs up port back the air from the ports bounce off the hatch and push the waves from the subs forward.

And yea sub and port back will send them both to the rear with a little bounce from the hatch.

Best bet would probably be to face them forward kinda like a wall except its not sealed off.

all just theory tho

I think the jest of it is that subs up port back the air from the ports bounce off the hatch and push the waves from the subs forward.

And yea sub and port back will send them both to the rear with a little bounce from the hatch.

Best bet would probably be to face them forward kinda like a wall except its not sealed off.

all just theory tho

Yeah Once I buy some straps I'll do it this way.  The straps I was using are currently in use by my father and without them the box slides a bit.

I built the box so I could try all 3 ways.

Edited by DanP

all just theory tho

Finally bought some straps and tested it this way so far I've only tried it with my rear seats folded down and it sounds pretty good, Tomorrow I'm gonna put up my back seats and see what effect that makes. 

IMG_20130502_150409_zpsc4143688.jpg

The illuminating Hifonics text got annoying so I plasti dipped it

IMG_20130513_174532_zpse342623e.jpg

I love Plastidip haha.  I use it all the time.  That looks good on the Hifonics!

Edited by grayta

Well there's a local car audio competition tomorrow, Planned on going so I went to a car wash to get all the bird shit off my Jeep started overheating/leaking fluid in the car wash so I guess my plans changed.

IMG_20130518_163658_zps3776dca4.jpg

Appears to be the lower radiator hose leaking, but wont know until the garage opens up on Monday.

Time to learn mechanics. Hopefully it is just a simple issue.

Time to learn mechanics. Hopefully it is just a simple issue.

I'm gonna let a garage handle this, if it was any other issue then overheating I would tackle it myself, unless I was absolutely positive on the issue.

IMG_20130522_163701_zps777bf3ce.jpg?t=13

dayuummmm

the hell happened

ive seen small holes, but that its redic

dayuummmm

the hell happened

ive seen small holes, but that its redic

Drove into the car wash, left it idling for no more then 4 minutes, as I was getting in I heard a pop then saw steam flying.  When replacing it was seen that the connection for the fan was melted, but its hard to tell if the fan stopped working and caused the radiator to pop, or if the radiator popped and melted the fan connector.

Got some work done today

The Router+Jasper jig makes life so much easier.

IMG_20130603_181023_zps9f79f5ad.jpg

IMG_20130603_151249_zps2067142c.jpg

IMG_20130603_155207_zps0a4e4d2d.jpg

IMG_20130603_161452_zps0a9f24e7.jpg

IMG_20130603_163013_zps954409b8.jpg

IMG_20130603_170256_zps996c6783.jpg

IMG_20130603_183846_zpsf431af18.jpg

IMG_20130603_183824_zps6a5e70f3.jpg

As I was finishing up UPS brought me tomorrows project,

IMG_20130603_185417_zps7b2c2cde.jpg

IMG_20130603_185457_1_zpsa9ecf8b3.jpg

Before

936239_594226057265058_783253822_n.jpg

After:

IMG_20130604_161357_zps37cc096c.jpg

I'm pretty happy with how it turned out, I just have to run a ground from front to back, then I can start cleaning up my cargo area.

The cabling looks much better.

You say the fuse melted on the fan?  Are you using an aftermarket electric fan in place of a mechanical?

The cabling looks much better.

You say the fuse melted on the fan?  Are you using an aftermarket electric fan in place of a mechanical?

Not the fuse the it was a little harness clip.

Is it aftermarket or stock?

I thought stock they used mech fans

Is it aftermarket or stock?

I thought stock they used mech fans

Honestly I'm not sure since I didn't do the repairs myself I know all they did was hardwired the fan and it worked fine though.