Sign in to follow this  
Polish

07 Honda Fit - Bangin on a Budget

If you want to save yourself some cash return the resin and mat.  It's not needed.  If your cuts are nice and straight all you need to do is run a small bead of wood glue on the inside of the seams.  If not then run a small bead of caulk.

If I had cut it with a table saw and it was perfect I'd probably not bother but I only had a circular saw. So it's not 100% perfect. It's just for the corners and seams to make sure it's all sealed up 100%. 

Small update for the day.

4thorderportlayout_zps519360a3.jpg

This is just the layout of the port hole I need to cut, screwdriver for scale.

4thorderbaffle_zps4c610737.jpg

Got a pocket jig today, makes mounting the MDF much simpler and no splitting.

4thorder_zps9c3769c0.jpg

Baffle in and mounted, drill in there for scale. It's a pretty big box, gonna be tough to pick up. Roughly 17 sq/ft before port/woofer/baffle displacement.

That's all for now. 

Update, I got the port wood cut tonight and was going to keep working on the box but I found an issue with the car. I pulled the rear seats a few weeks ago and thought nothing of the bolt holes since they were pretty high up. Well I guess I should have as they are the only thing I can think of that would cause this, the spare tire well was FULL of water. There was a 1" deep puddle, plus the rear seat area floorboards were wet too. 

The carpet was so soaked I got my pants wet just kneeling on it while unbolting the seats. Needless to say those holes are now sealed shut with silicon. That is the only thing I can think of that I changed that could have caused this, hopefully that fixes the problem. I am going to leave the carpet out for a bit to make sure no water returns. I just drove in some mega slushy deep snow this week so I am thinking that is how it happened.

So as of now the car has zero interior. I also lost some of the FatMat deadening I just installed in the tire well since it was soaked. I am not too upset though after reading it's not that great and it was pretty cheap too so not a major hit.

fitnoseats_zpsc1a20d69.jpg

Here it is with the carpet still in and all the deadening ripped out where the puddle was. You can see it is still damp.

fitlake_zps0b2d79ea.jpg

Closeup, again you can see all the moisture still present. Not thrilled with myself but live and learn.

fitnointerior_zpsb573d929.jpg

Look ma - No seats...

fitnointerior2_zpsdb26111f.jpg

Most of the interior ripped out aside from a few panels.

The carpet was filthy anyway, I think I'd vacuumed it like 3 times since owning the car in the past 6 years. So it was probably a good thing I had to pull it.

I am still going to try and finish the box this weekend but this set me back a little.

I was out most of today but still made some progress. 

4thorder8_zps1ae3f45e.jpg

Port built.

4thorder7_zps6b7bdd91.jpg

4thorder6_zps1d572167.jpg

Bolted together. It was going to be removable but odds are I'll never swap it. I also decided to not bother glassing the inside of this box. I'll save it for a better project. I just sealed it up with glue/silicon. I doubt the resin/glass would make much difference with these basic woofers. I am already eyeing some bigger subs anyway.

4thorder5_zpsdafb6a92.jpg

4thorder4_zps8b5bbeb6.jpg

Front panel mounted.

4thorder3_zps58ca1266.jpg

6.5" mid for scale. It's a big freakin box for 4 10's. 

4thorder2_zps99969b10.jpg

Set the top panel on but didn't mount yet. Just wanted to see how it looked.

4thorder9_zps46f06341.jpg

Didn't feel like ordering copper bolts and waiting for them to arrive so I just did the old fashioned silicon the wires into the box method. 

I hope to get the inside area (where you can see in via the port) and the port itself painted tomorrow. As well as the woofers mounted/tested then screw the top on and seal it up. After that we'll see how this warlock sounds.

Edited by Polish

Damn man that box looks really good!!! That box is huge lol I just went through your build log and you got a cool budget setup going.

Damn man that box looks really good!!! That box is huge lol I just went through your build log and you got a cool budget setup going.

Thanks man, appreciate it. It is freaking huge.

-Update time-

Got it finished up tonight. I will make sure it sounds decent before taking the time painting or carpeting the outside.

4thorder15_zps9da8ab2a.jpg

2 subs mounted.

4thorder14_zps967cb57d.jpg

4 subs mounted.

4thorder13_zpse3147610.jpg

All set to seal it up.

4thorder12_zpse67a3bce.jpg

Last time I'll see the face of the subs for a while, well unless it sounds like crap but lets hope it gets down.

4thorder11_zps230cb03b.jpg

All sealed up, looking into the port.

4thorder10_zps5fa14943.jpg

The 4th order in all its glory. I still have all the interior out of my car (including the amp) but once the glue is fully dried tomorrow I'll put the amp in and test it out.

looking good man

Thanks man. 

I tested it with a small home stereo amp to make sure all was working and even with just a few watts there was a good amount of bass. I can't wait to hear it with some power. Here are a few more pics for the heck of it.

4thorder16_zpse1975392.jpg

4thorder15_zpsc1569782.jpg

4thorder17_zps24ba3675.jpg

4thorder18_zpsb86b3d7e.jpg

I should have some video tomorrow.

Looks great home audio amps are great :) test stuff out without going thru the hAssle to instal a amp for a test

Thanks man and yea they sure are handy. I really need to hook up a proper test bench with leads, it would have made it even easier then.

-Update for tonight, sorry but no video. Got it done a little too late, I'll try to do one tomorrow though. Still have the passenger seat out and need to finish up some stuff on the amp rack spot but it's in and playing. I only did a quick test without the car even on and it sounded good but I won't be able to give a full report until tomorrow. I will say that it was a TIGHT fit though. As you can see in the pics.

4thorder27_zps23c4f808.jpg

Amp and box are like 1.5" apart.

4thorder26_zpsa805e46c.jpg

Can't even put my seat back as far as I want, but it's not off much. I can still slide the box back a bit but I wanna see how it sounds as is.

4thorder25_zps1273ceb6.jpg

Still can't believe it fit in through the hatch, I got nervous since I made it max dimensions but it slid right in no issues.

Edited by Polish

Did a quick video.

I had enough wood to make a small top trim panel on the amp rack. Looks better with it, maybe I'll have some cash in a couple weeks to do trim panels for around the box.

IMG_6229_zps8775152e.jpg

The carpet is the same color on both boards, the camera flash just made them look different.

IMG_9543_zpsf49a681b.jpg

Winter is pretty much over, should be able to finally clean the car up soon.

Nice man im fixing to put 2 more 12" lanzar max st along with the other 2 in the trunk of my cavalier cant wait hope it sounds as good as yours

NICE!!! get better vids please... :) 

Nice man im fixing to put 2 more 12" lanzar max st along with the other 2 in the trunk of my cavalier cant wait hope it sounds as good as yours

Awesome. Make sure to post up some results when you've got them in. If the box is good it should get loud, for being budget woofers they do excellent in my opinion.

NICE!!! get better vids please... smile.png

I've been trying but my video camera just sucks, it shuts down with any bass. The phone is actually the better of the two. I will try to park somewhere and take some decent video with the phone one of these days.

I went ahead and made another quick video, it's not that great but this song had a pretty good low note so I recorded the end of it. I use my phone for music normally so this is just the radio since I was recording with the phone, which is never quite as impressive but it still beat pretty good.

Got some new goods on the way finally, seems like forever since I changed anything. I got some white led bulbs to replace the crappy blue ones I have now in the dome and hatch light. I also got 2 voltmeters, one digital readout and one analog readout type. I am not sure which I'll hook to where yet but I wanted digital since it's easier to read at a glance but analog because it should respond faster for quick drops, so I got both.

I also got a new headunit so I can connect my phone easier for music access. I use a crappy fm modulator right now with the old Alpine and it sucks. I went with the Pioneer DEHx7500S, it also has quite a few more options over my current 10 year old Alpine. So that should be a nice change.

I'll have pics up once it all comes in and I get stuff installed. Next up after this round of stuff is an amp for my highs which I need badly and a new battery, which also really need.

dash-gauges_zps58d9d71d.png

New Dash Setup. Well for a short time until I can get an AudioControl Epic160, then I am going to fiberglass it so it is angled at the driver a bit. 

Pioneer DEHX7500s

Digital Volt Meter

Equus Analog Volt Meter 8-18v with LED bulb to match radio - not so blinding in person

Autometer Water Temp Gauge (sender not hooked up at time of pic) with a white led bulb

I finally got a 2 channel amp on order to power the highs. As usual I am ballin on a budget, so I got the RF R125-2. It's cheap but will get the job done. I will update once I get it put in. It should wake up the components a lot compared to deck power. 

Got my new amp in today, made a quick video. Check it out. Should have it in this weekend.

fit-dome-led_zpsd247ebea.jpg

This is what the new white led dome looks like during the day, it's very bright. 

rockford-fosgate-prime-r125-2_zpsa9da800

Stuck the new RF R125-2 amp in real quick. This is behind the passenger seat. The box takes up so much room currently I don't have a spot to mount the amps together. The MB Quart components sound so much better with a proper amp, night and day difference. I just need to get a better battery now. Then some bondo and vinyl so I can make some proper door pods and dash pod. Then I plan to change the sub box and subs to get the amp down to 1 ohm. 

Update time. I decided to cut up the 4th order, it just took up too much space. In doing so the 4 10's got damaged, they were inverted and the surround gasket foam stuck to the mdf. So it peeled away part of each even trying to be careful. So I stopped at a local car audio place today and picked up a new sub, it's the American Bass XFL 15" D2. This thing is a beast, I am going to make a new baffle for my old 4.4 cu/ft ported box (33hz) and use that for now. Here are some pics of the sub.

american-bass-xfl-15-d2_zpsef634277.jpg

american-bass-xfl-15-coil_zpsb43725de.jp

american-bass-xfl-15-basket_zps256dc9dc.

Got the 15" in my old box and it's pretty serious for a single sub. I didn't hammer on it too hard just yet but it seems to have those 4 10's easily matched. We'll see once I crank on it a bit more. It's in my old ported box, 4.4 cubes @ 33 hertz. I had to mount it to the front of the box though, since the brace was in the way to mount it up top. So I stuck some MDF over the 4 10" holes and screwed it down. I cut a quick hole and tossed it in. I'll see how it does in this box and decide if I want to go bigger or smaller when I eventually make a box just for this sub. I think the size will be about the same though, might adjust tuning a bit depending how testing this box plays out. It's nothing special to look at right now so I didn't take a pic yet. Got the 15" in my old box and it's pretty serious for a single sub. I didn't hammer on it too hard just yet but it seems to have those 4 10's easily matched. We'll see once I crank on it a bit more. It's in my old ported box, 4.4 cubes @ 33 hertz. I had to mount it to the front of the box though, since the brace was in the way to mount it up top. So I stuck some MDF over the 4 10" holes and screwed it down. I cut a quick hole and tossed it in. I'll see how it does in this box and decide if I want to go bigger or smaller when I eventually make a box just for this sub. I think the size will be about the same though, might adjust tuning a bit depending how testing this box plays out. It's nothing special to look at right now so I didn't take a pic yet. 

American Bass 15 is still banging hard. I am going to make a new fiberglass box soon and port it. My oem battery is done though, the amp finally beat it into submission. So I ordered what I could fit in the OEM spot for now. An XS Power S680 AGM Battery, should do the trick for now.