Sign in to follow this  
J2phat4u

Re-cone help

I just did a re-cone for 2 BL 12's and it seems that the 2 re-cone 12's play harder and have alot more excursion now than the other 2 12's in my enclosure. Is this because they were re-coned or is there another problem? I had all the coils metered yesterday and the 2 re-coned subs coils read lower than the other 2. Would the lowere impedence make them play harder?

If the box is a common chamber there might be a loading issue depending on the distance of the subs to the port. What did the coils meter, new and old?

maybe you got 1ohm recones instead of 2ohm ???

The box is a common chamber enclosure. The subs are all dual 1's. The other thing is the BL's i have are all the fully loaded ones with the 4 inch voice coil. Well when i ordered the re-cones they didnt have the 4 inch coil anymore so the 4 inch coil i got in them are from SP4 subs i think.

The 2 re-coned subs read 1.1 on each coil and the other 2 subs read 1.4 on each coil.

I am going to assume that the 4 inch coils are going to have more resistance because its more surface area and material.

So that seems like a reasonable rationale.

The difference in excursion may be due to different spiders as well.

Ok so i should not worry about blowing them up or anything?

Thats weird to have a different coil though...

If its still rated for the same power i wouldn't worry about it, but i thought 4" coils had better power handling and cooling?

I thought the same!! Its weird to me as well.

They are all 4in coils? I wonder if the new coils are longer or if that even matters. I would have just reconed all 4 and had a whole fresh batch of bass :)/>

Edited by swift

Without knowing details about the coils I can't say for certain, but it sounds like it's possible the coils used for the recones are different than the coils originally used on the BL. If that's the case I would agree with Swift, best to recone them all.

The coils are a bit longer in the sp4 so that would explain it, granted it's off set to make up the difference but they won't be the same as the other two subs if thats the case.

Yeah they are SP4 coils so thats probably why. Dont get me wrong it absolutely hammers i was just wondering why the different excursion. Thanks guys for all your feedback....

I just have not leaned on them hard yet because i dont know if they will stay inside my enclosure or not...tongue.png

The coils are a bit longer in the sp4 so that would explain it, granted it's off set to make up the difference but they won't be the same as the other two subs if thats the case.

So i shouldnt worry about damaging the subs then??

Sign in to follow this