koodo

Which sub to go with? W7 or AA Havoc or Other?

I am looking for advice on which 12" sub to buy, at the moment I am looking between the 12W7 and the 12" AA Havoc.

Unfortunately, quality subs are fairly rare here in Australia, so I haven't listened to either (have listened to W6 and liked the sound of it).

My current situation is a 10" Polk MM, mounted in a custom box I built, sitting on the center of the rear seats (in an Isuzu pickup truck so very limited space) but I will build a bigger box for the 12" and place it on the seat behind the drivers seat.

For me to import either from the US will make the price very much the same, so that isn't really a major factor.

I am open to suggestions of other subs too, around this league but I would also prefer to not go much over the 1200W RMS.

I listen to basically anything with heavy bass and some dubstep depending on the mood hahah.

Cheers

Ive never heard anyone complain about the w7, other than the price.

Agreed. I would look at the SSA ICON.

thanks djjdnap, does the Havoc compare to the W7 or ?

Has anyone has experience with both of them?

I've never heard the Ascendant, but have owned a couple W7s and they are excellent woofers. Given you're paying the same for either, I would buy the JL.

The Xcon would be another viable option, very great woofer that sounds good.

I've never heard anyone complain about the havoc...

Which isn't true ofcourse, just like people have complained about the w7 because it's not loud enough.

Having that said i would still choose to go with the w7 eventhough it handles less power.

I wouldn't put an Icon in this category, maybe power handling wise but that's it.

What is the cost differential? That would make up my mind. I am a huge fan of the Havoc and have chosen them many times in the past.

iv had 2 w7 10s in the past and loved them. they werent as loud as my previous systems but they sound so good and do have the ability to get loud in the right box

I wouldn't put an Icon in this category, maybe power handling wise but that's it.

Why not?

Why not?

If you have to ask then you shouldnt be telling people what subs to choose in a vs thread, do some research.

Why not?

If you have to ask then you shouldnt be telling people what subs to choose in a vs thread, do some research.

I didnt tell him to use a Icon. I wanted to know why you dont approve of it?

Why not?

I didnt tell him to use a Icon. I wanted to know why you dont approve of it?

I know you didnt and im speaking in general. Look at the subs and review them and you should see. I didnt say I didnt approve of it just wouldnt put it in a category with a W7 or AA Havoc.

Thanks for all the suggestions / comments guys.

At the moment I am kinda swayed towards the W7, but while doing more research I am also getting swayed to the 13W7, any reason to not go down that path and stick with the 12 or comments? (I am still very open minded at this stage)

I would most likely then get a Crescendo 2k to power it, as what I understand, its a decent amp, stable to 0.5 ohm (will be running it at 0.75) and relatively cheap.

ehh u just gain a little bit of more cone area is all, i see it being negligible.

I would most likely then get a Crescendo 2k to power it, as what I understand, its a decent amp, stable to 0.5 ohm (will be running it at 0.75) and relatively cheap.

Just be careful with the gain, that is a lot of power for a W7.

In the past, I wanted to use a 13W7.

But for the price, I have been really happy with the Icon, and then the Xcon.

Try the Xcon, OP. I think it's a beast of a sub : it plays everything , it is very accurate on music, like the Icon, but with more output. It is rated for 1750 w rms, but with 1200 it will still shine ! I had one on 1000 w rms.

All the subs you mentioned are good ones.

Now, I don't know if you have the room for a good box.

But sealed or ported the Icon or the Xcon are great products. I tried mine in sealed boxes, ported ones, different sizes, different enclosures : always satisfied !!!

(I had a Kicker L7 before, and I liked it only in a huge sealed box).

Crescendo 2000 @1 Ohm on a SSA Xcon dvc2 : great combo IMO :)

I think SSA and Crescendo is a great combo. Although, I am a bit biased haha

Likewise. I would def go with the Xcon and the BC2K. You will save some coin doing so, and can put that toward a set of nice components.

Likewise. I would def go with the Xcon and the BC2K. You will save some coin doing so, and can put that toward a set of nice components.

I too really like the idea of a xcon paired up with a bc2k. Though, I've never listened to a 13w7 in person.