rryyddeerr

10 & 12 sub combo box/system

here i go with my first post and a (very likely) stupid question.

I want to build a box, or augment my current box(2x10") to house a 12" & 10" sub so as to realize the advantages of both. box is separated into two equal, sealed sections. lets assume i can accommodate the volume requirements of the 12 accurately enough. can I just wire them separately on each channel of my amp and let'er rip? or am I missing something?

More than likely not going to work very well. What equipment do you have?

i also have a little amp powering my 4 door speakers

Edited by rryyddeerr

So you don't have a 12? What do you mean "to utilize the advantages of both"?

dont have a 12. was thinking of adding one and removing a 10.

10's have a broader range, right? they seem to have a specific, unique sound. 12's hit much lower. I just thought it would be great to have both so as to have the punchiness of the 10 and the low end of the 12.

home stereo speakers often include speakers of different sizes. why not a car?

Others will surely chime in with correct information, however, I think you are on the wrong track/train of thought.

What are the maximum dimensions you have for a box? What are your goals? Budget?

Edited by stiffler style

was thinking of adding one and removing a 10.

10's have a broader range, right? they seem to have a specific, unique sound. 12's hit much lower. I just thought it would be great to have both so as to have the punchiness of the 10 and the low end of the 12.

No you are very misinformed.

The two tens in a properly designed ported enclosure would most likely be your best bet.

Your thinking is common with a flawed misconception. The enclosure the sub is in determines the response of the sub, period. An 8" sub can play as low as an 18" and that 18" can play as tight and fast as the 8". The common misconception that larger subs play lower, or are "boomier" is just wrong. You're not going to get satisfactory results stuffing a 12 into the air space the 10 is currently utilizing either. If you want your current subs to play lower then you just need to build another enclosure. Done correctly they'll sound just as tight and accurate as they do now but will be able to play lower frequencies better. That will likely require going to a ported enclosure to achieve with notable results. If you're looking primarily for more output then you should upgrade to larger subs such as a pair of 12's. The extra cone area can yield more output than the 10's and in the proper enclosure can play much deeper than the 10's currently are now whilst having good reponse throughout the range of your LPF and just as accurate too.

I remember when I use think that about the different sub sizes lol no offense to op at all. There is just so much wrong info out there. You will quickly learn all the right info on here. Keep the 2 10s and build a custom box for the subs and vehicle. That'd be best bet.

I'll add that home stereos with different sized speakers are all crossed over to play a specific range of frequencies. Theoretically, you could have a 12" driver playing 20-50 hz and a 10" driver playing 50-80hz, but there is no need to do that. As Alton said, with the right enclosure you can easily play all the low notes sub woofers deliver.

dang, thanks. i appreciate all the information. Im actually pretty happy about my set up the way it is. I just get the bug to "improve" every once in a while. The box housing the subs now is custom and works well enough. i will stick with tens. the ones i have were a hand-me-down and are about 7-8 years old. maybe i just need a different pair!

I think you'd be real happy with a pair of Dcons in the right box.

I do agree. A pair of 10" D4 DCON's in a new and good ported enclosure and you'd be doing really well.

Yeah if you decide to replace them the DCONs would be nice. But "if it aint broke don't fix it" unless you want to go for more cone area.

I just thought it would be great to have both so as to have the punchiness of the 10 and the low end of the 12.a15.jpgk3.jpg

But that's our point, you can have BOTH from the tens you already have. If they're not playing low enough for you now then you need to try a different enclosure. What's the specifications on the enclosure they're in now? My bet is that it's either too small (if sealed) or not tuned low enough (if ported).

I just thought it would be great to have both so as to have the punchiness of the 10 and the low end of the 12.a15.jpgk3.jpg

10's are not "more punchy" than 12's. That's a myth and completely wrong not as a matter of opinion but a fact of physics.

And while 12's generally offer greater displacement which could potentially give them better low frequency extension there are many more factors at play.

If you aren't happy with the performance of your current subs the first thing you should investigate is building a new enclosure to achieve your desired performance before spending money on new equipment.

Cool. Thanks Again for all the information. I will consider building a ported enclosure.

Here's food for thought while you're considering it....

3cuft NET tuned to ~33hz with 42sqin port area... Infinity keeps the T/S on that driver locked down, can't find it anywhere on the web, but I built one like this for a guy locally about five years ago for a pair of 10" Infinitys with the variable Q interchangeable motor vent thingy. Sounded very nice too.

Kappa10s_zps5a56e3bc.jpg

wow. thanks. thats humongous. i have a hatchback impreza and would like to take advantage of as much room in the back as possible. if i kept the volume and port size the same, but altered the dimensions, would it still perform correctly?

Yes it would, the shape has no effect on the response of the enclosure.

I just used the dimensions of that enclosure I built way back when. If you want to post up your dimensions I could maybe help you come up with a more space friendly enclosure.

wow. thanks. thats humongous. i have a hatchback impreza and would like to take advantage of as much room in the back as possible. if i kept the volume and port size the same, but altered the dimensions, would it still perform correctly?

Provide us with your max dimensions, and we can tell you what will work the best.

i absolutely will. im doing a project in the car today. taking out seats and carpet to add some raam mat and ensolite to dampen road noise. ill figure out where i can go beyond the sealed enclosure i already have, try to draw something up and post figures and a pic. thanks again for being so helpful!