Mark LaFountain

Welcome to the IHoP v.2

Sean I "bricked" my droid x once by accident. Was fairly easy to return it back to stock.

Sister's looking for a 3 row vehicle. It only needs to be stupid reliable, cheap/easy to maintain, and new enough to qualify for CPO. Everything else is negotiable. GO.

Fleet Explorer, Tahoe, etc.

Any specific generation Explorer/Tahoe or just all of them?

Whatever you can find really. I missed the CPO part though. That's going to be tough to find "cheap."

Cheap and cpo never work together. Overall cost of ownership will be lower on an older noncpo unit.

Btw Cpo is just an extended warranty the dealer pays the manufacturer for. I'd usually rather keep the money. On an amg though I'd do It

Sean I "bricked" my droid x once by accident. Was fairly easy to return it back to stock.

good to hear and what I expected. Thanks

Thought you wanted cheap? Gas won't be

Cheap to fix & cheap to maintain. Meaning I don't have to wait 2-3 days for the part to ship from Germany, South Korea, Japan, etc., I don't have to drive to three different parts stores to find the very specific type of oil that the motor, transmission, or differential requires, things like that.

Doesn't necessarily have to be CPO, just needs to be young enough to still have some warranty left on it.

Edited by Penguin4x4

Take your pick of domestic SUVs then or Honda or Toyota. The Odyssey is a superb playform IMO.

Excluding Chrysler of course

Take your pick of domestic SUVs then or Honda or Toyota. The Odyssey is a superb playform IMO.

I've been telling her to get a Sienna or an Odyssey. She ain't particularly tall and her kid ain't particularly light; a minivan's ride height is just about perfect.

Anyone have experience applying a root and custom Rom/kernel to an Android?

I've read a bunch and think it looks rather easy. Just wondering if there are any perma-brick fuckups you can do.

Also curious how the CyanogenMod stacks up to stock JellyBean and if I should go that route or not.

What phone are you running?

I had CM 10 on my Galaxy S2,3 and Note 2 and I rather liked it, however there were some downsides. On some phones it'll make the audio quite quiet which is rather annoying, some GPS will be quite slow. There is a lot you can do with CM10.. The battery life in my experience on multiple phones is rather lack luster IMO. With the standard power saving mode on my Note 2 stock I can easily obtain over a day of battery life.

Honestly I would stick with a stock modified ROM (many come with alternative Kernels) and you'll be much happier. I'm currently running Jedi on mine and I absolutely love it, you get all of the stock features with no bloat and many many mods.

Nexus 7 Tablet, not a phone. My "carpc/headunit" and I need to root it. Think the kernel update will work with either stock or CM 10.1

Honestly Imo you may have to have a custom recovery which means youll need to be rooted. But honestly I would go with a debloated sped up stock rom with a custom kernel... I didnt gain anything by having my phones or tablets on, cm10 besides visual customization

plus those J35 engines are pretty reliable bastards

I've read a bunch and think it looks rather easy. Just wondering if there are any perma-brick fuckups you can do.

Also curious how the CyanogenMod stacks up to stock JellyBean and if I should go that route or not.

There is always a concern about bricking when you root.

This is really where you want to go to learn about and phone modifications: http://forum.xda-developers.com/

As long as you don't mess with the Recovery during the root it's pretty rare. I know on Samsung devices they support Host OTG so if you do brick it you can attach a usb thumb drive to the phone and re flash the stock firmware unbricking it which I have had to do, lol.

I like a TL design. Interested in this project

Yeah, I was thinking either a sealed box or a LLT for the XCON 10, I don't have my PC with me or i'd try and mess around in WinSD and see where that got me.. For the xcon I'm thinking one of the big plate amps from Dayton, and maybe either just a plain 2 channel amplifier or receiver.. not really sure where I should go.

If movies are on the bill, you want a multi channel. For music, stereo is perfect. Although I prefer true stereo, and in my system I do not run my subs for music... of course my mains are flat in room to ~33Hz... I'll need to look at F3 on the design you are looking at.

Not in love with the woofer on those, you may be able to do just as good if not better on CL...but then you wouldn't get to build them. Personally if I were going through all that effort though I'd up the ante on the drivers and of course design. Xcon will be fine, if you don't have it though up the cone

area.

For $100? I think it is a pretty solid design and at one hell of a nice budget setup. Sure, they aren't Seas with Planers, but they aren't supposed to be. The TL design should work very well with the selected drivers. Ideally I would add a notch with the in room bump at 2K, but I understand the simplicity of the design.

I tried to clarify. To me putting in the effort for the build "requires" that I get to spend more. If that is truly the budget then by all means jman.gif

I get what you're saying, I'd rather spend the money over time and get something awesome than rush and get something. But my budget isn't the highest at the moment, but I'm willing to buy as I need to.

I think I'd prefer used AIDs needles stabbed in my ear drums than listen to that.

barf2.gif

Orioles pitching is giving away the best offensive season in a long time.... :(

Excluding Chrysler of course

Meh, The Grand Caravan with the 3.8 is quite reliable, much more so than the Odyssey with their transmission issues. I am generally not a Chrysler fan, but they have fixed their tranny issues, and I am really not seeing any nagging issues with their vans (with the 3.8) anymore. The 3.8 powertrain has been strong over the past 5 or 6 years.

Regarding Chryslers, run away from anything with the 2.7, 3.7, or 4.7 engines.

I had CM 10 on my Galaxy S2,3 and Note 2 and I rather liked it, however there were some downsides. On some phones it'll make the audio quite quiet which is rather annoying, some GPS will be quite slow. There is a lot you can do with CM10.. The battery life in my experience on multiple phones is rather lack luster IMO. With the standard power saving mode on my Note 2 stock I can easily obtain over a day of battery life.

Honestly I would stick with a stock modified ROM (many come with alternative Kernels) and you'll be much happier. I'm currently running Jedi on mine and I absolutely love it, you get all of the stock features with no bloat and many many mods.

Nexus 7 Tablet, not a phone. My "carpc/headunit" and I need to root it. Think the kernel update will work with either stock or CM 10.1
Honestly Imo you may have to have a custom recovery which means youll need to be rooted. But honestly I would go with a debloated sped up stock rom with a custom kernel... I didnt gain anything by having my phones or tablets on, cm10 besides visual customization
What do you mean by visual customization?

Just changing colors, fonts, menus, boot up screens stuff like that.

Drove this around today

IMAG0577_zpsa146c26b.jpg

Parked in front of my hotel tongue.png

With something like CM10.1 you get the look and feel of Android 4.1 with a different skin, you're able to adjust a lot of things how the phone operates in terms of the look of it. More or less its just a themed version of each distribution. CM for most people will give you no bloatware, better battery life, and a more stock android feel.. but honestly when I've used it I've ran into more problems than it was worth. On all of my devices sound through the headphone jacks & speakers was nearly cut in half (including calls), the GPS had numerous issues, battery life was lack luster, and in some cases was just slower. But don't let that discourage you, the great thing about custom roms it's easy to do and you can always revert back to stock android pretty easily. But with CM10 I've just not had great luck in general, I really do prefer the stock roms that have been tinkered with to get rid of all the bloatware with a few themed UI's. AOSP is what CM10 is themed after, so if you just google AOSP you'll get a pretty good idea.