Mark LaFountain

Welcome to the IHoP v.2

Dont get your panties in to much of a bunch.  The spammers go through and do it, we've had that problem on CAF too.

I go commando, everything is good here :P

have the best interiors of any of the domestics.

You pick

085-2014-jeep-grand-cherokee-opt.jpg

or

epr13_pg_001_int_full.jpg

Sort of 6 or half dozen to me...

I sat in a 2014 Grand Cherokee, really liked the interior. Don't know if I uploaded the pics of the 2014 next to my Jeep.

Well time to rebuild the drum brakes on the truck, rear drum is just pouring out fluid.  I'm assuming the wheel cylinder is shot so I'll put in new ones, hardware, and shoes. 

I'm SO glad I ditched the rear drums on the Jeep. Feels good having a working handbrake. 

What happened to the Skar section?

Gone with the wind apparently. 

Sean,

I'm just shocked you posted about the F150. I' didn't see you looking that direction.

J

huh? I didn't post anything about an F150...at least not in the past 9 months

sandt38, on 23 Nov 2013 - 20:43, said:

sandt38, on 23 Nov 2013 - 20:43, said:

dem beats, on 23 Nov 2013 - 20:00, said:

dem beats, on 23 Nov 2013 - 20:00, said:

sandt38, on 23 Nov 2013 - 19:04, said:

///M5, on 23 Nov 2013 - 16:47, said:

Seth - curious if you've seen horror on the FX's? Sits on a 370z chassis converted to AWD. Can't even believe I am asking about a Japanese car.

Not a fan of anything Nissan anymore. Transmission problems out the ass and considerable drivability issues. While the typical auto trannys are not completely terrible, they are bad enough. Be sure the vehicle you look at does not wear the CVT tranny... Nissan CVTs are total shit. The 3.7 is a fucking solid engine, however.
You drive me nuts!

:-)

What cars are reliable and fun? Or is that just diametrically opposed in your opinion?

I don't know anyone with as much mechanic history who has as diverse of a range of cars as you.

Honestly, performance and reliability generally do not go hand in hand. I have had my fun, and now the things that matter to me are dependability and comfort. I work 12 hours a day 5 days a week on cars if I don't have any side work, I don't want to spend my time repairing my own, and I do not like to spend money on repairs. I tend to base my evaluations on my personal wants and needs, which I think translates into most people's feelings about cars... I don't want my vehicle broken down and costing me a lot of money to repair.

My current shop boasts proficiency in hybrid/total electric, Jeep, Euro (specializing in BMW and VAG), and Asian (with a focus on Nissan). But we do work on all makes and models. The owner focuses his advertising on owners of said vehicle types as well as a specific income level, sending out roughly 10,000 fliers a month. He is expanding the marketing to include domestics since I am here now. He employs a company called Cucui (I am certain I am spelling it wrong, it is pronounce Coo-Coo-Ee) to perform market research. It has definitely expanded my hands on of modern vehicles. I have been deeply submerged in the domestic market for a long time now and until early this year I have not had my hands on many Euros since I left SoCal in '99

///M5, on 23 Nov 2013 - 20:09, said:

///M5, on 23 Nov 2013 - 20:09, said:

>

Seth - curious if you've seen horror on the FX's? Sits on a 370z chassis converted to AWD. Can't even believe I am asking about a Japanese car.

Not a fan of anything Nissan anymore. Transmission problems out the ass and considerable drivability issues. While the typical auto trannys are not completely terrible, they are bad enough. Be sure the vehicle you look at does not wear the CVT tranny... Nissan CVTs are total shit. The 3.7 is a fucking solid engine, however.

Halfway there. Probably not buying the 3.5 version as boost will get it beyond the 5.0 but with the loss of towing rating I can't have. Definitely no CVT that has 7 speeds that i know of.
The 3.5 and 3.7 are the same essential engine They are a variant of the 3L Nissan. In all honestly they are one of the best gasoline platforms on the market over the last 20 years, only bested by the Buick 3.8 platform. I am referring only to the engine durability, and longevity without failures, not external issues. They were plagued by injector problems for many years (in the 80s and early 90s the problems were so bad they caught fire), and that is still a reality... not the fires, but their injectors are shit. Their coils are really bizarre, as when one fails you must replace them all. If you don't, it will likely set misfire codes on other cylinders even though no miss is evident. I hate doing water pumps, as they are driven by the timing chain... a design I struggle to find any real benefit from.
Based on the vq30de that is in my i30? I am going to be shopping for two cars in the near future. One is going to be ~$13-15k for myself, and the other one my Mother has asked me to research in the $30-45k range. I have been very happy with my Infiniti and I know that the engine and tranny are well built, but have heard a lot of bad things about the newer nissans. What are some reliable used (Moms could be new.) low millage cars in those ranges? Both would be medium to large sedans with a v6 or a turbo 4. Just looking for something with some get up and go that will still be reasonable with gas. I know that it's a broad question but anything to avoid or consider? Both will likely be driven for a good amount of time, and would be expected to be reliable for 100k+.

Yes, they are VQ engines, and still designated as such (VQ35** and VQ37**). I like Toyota/Lexus sedans and Buick sedans. I would dare suggest you steer clear of most T4s and they seem to be using a lot of direct injection on them. I do feel that Toyota has the best implementation of them, but only time will really tell.

Ha, I tried to like the LS460 F Sport and actually would if it made some power. TRD needs to release their supercharger package for it and I'd seriously think about it.

Ha, I tried to like the LS460 F Sport and actually would if it made some power. TRD needs to release their supercharger package for it and I'd seriously think about it.

Lexus sits high at the top of my "I would own one" list.

I was looking at them too.  My buddy who is a Lexus tech said to stay away from the 460, get an 04-06 430.  That's where I am currently shopping and they actually do have some performance options.  I think mine will be stock with a bottle if I ever feel the need to get stupid.  Cheap, easy, and it runs out so I can't get too stupid for too long.

:)

Edited by Aaron Clinton

Edited by Aaron Clinton

Edited by Aaron Clinton

Edited by Aaron Clinton

Edited by Aaron Clinton

Edited by Aaron Clinton